• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93602s arrived a few days ago and finally had time to snap some pictures. One round of Bick 4 and some brushing so far, but they are looking very nice. I don't think the previous owner wore them a whole lot. Date code is BH so I guess that's either Feb 1977 or Feb 1987.

View attachment 1205996

View attachment 1205997

Those are gorgeous. Wouldn't the vcleat, almost 60 nail heels, and 5 nail soles indicate an earlier build than '87? Just speculating, expecting a Florsheim expert to chime in!

EDIT: @Numbernine 's comment suggests these are later. If they were still building them like that in '87 I'm totally impressed!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently acquired LB Sheppard LWB. They seem to have some finish issues, but I’m thinking it may just be a preponderance of polish accumulated on the rest of the shoe (inside and outside of both heels have the same discoloration). Haven’t gotten around to cleaning these up or trying them on for fit. I have enough project shoes that I’m not sure where these will end up in the queue.

View attachment 1205954 View attachment 1205955 View attachment 1205956 View attachment 1205957
I don’t think it’s so much a problem as standard wear and tear + time. A thorough cleaning and conditioning, plus a few rounds of carefully color matched, and pigment heavy, cream polish will probably do wonders to even everything out.

These are AE MacNeil’s 9157 Brown Cashmere Calf, exhibiting the same type of wear and wax buildup (just darker, due to color):
5QnPmpp.jpg

For anyone who’s a 7 1/2 E, the listing is here: https://ebay.to/2Lq8Rvh - you can probably get them cheap and they’ll clean up nicely, IMHO.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On close inspection of 93602's I've noticed later models have an added 2 extra long heavy stitches in the area where the eyelet tabs are are attached to the upper vamp. Does anyone know when and/or why Florsheim started doing this
View attachment 1206007
Damned if I know (probably just a structural improvement). I think it’s kind of a neat detail. Those are sweet looking.

actionjbone

Reaction score
On close inspection of 93602's I've noticed later models have an added 2 extra long heavy stitches in the area where the eyelet tabs are are attached to the upper vamp. Does anyone know when and/or why Florsheim started doing this
View attachment 1206007
Do yours have a plastic heel stack? I also just got 93602s, and at first I thought they were older stock, but then I noticed the extra double stitch and the plastic heel stacks. Your heels are also nearly identical to mine.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu further discussion about the black insole AE. Wore my pair of burgundy shell Leeds today will black footbeds. These definitely have some wears; 11 with me plus previous owner (so it's not like it's break in color rub off). You'll notice the black does come off, but the tan liner on the uppers is the main culprit for me. Should be noted the was no discoloration before i wore the shoes
Wow. The only time I’ve had that kind of leeching is from my navy Neumok’s, which have a navy dyed insole (not to mentioned the unlined interiors).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do yours have a plastic heel stack? I also just got 93602s, and at first I thought they were older stock, but then I noticed the extra double stitch and the plastic heel stacks. Your heels are also nearly identical to mine.
Plastic heel stack?
B-zzVEgB2kKGrHqEOKjsEzFffEK6BBM9vUumwn0_12.jpg

actionjbone

Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. The only time I’ve had that kind of leeching is from my navy Neumok’s, which have a navy dyed insole (not to mentioned the unlined interiors).
Gawd... you should see my socks after wearing an Indy lining shoe! My feet must sweat a lot, causing this... when I take off my socks it's usually accompanied by a poof of salt cloud. This is particularly interesting considering I don't sweat much otherwise due to getting cold easy, and others always complain my office is warm.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That picture was @Oshare post just I used it as an illustration . I have a pair coming Monday and will let you now about the heel stack . Mine are from '87 or '77 since the code is F .Was hoping the stitches would be a clue as to which

tocohillsguy

Reaction score
@wasmisterfu further discussion about the black insole AE. Wore my pair of burgundy shell Leeds today will black footbeds. These definitely have some wears; 11 with me plus previous owner (so it's not like it's break in color rub off). You'll notice the black does come off, but the tan liner on the uppers is the main culprit for me. Should be noted the was no discoloration before i wore the shoes
Interesting. I have two pairs with black insoles, and have never suffered any staining.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have two pairs with black insoles, and have never suffered any staining.
As I said, I never saw anything confirming it was an issue, just a bunch of complaining that it would be an issue back in the day. But I can tell you that the blue insole in my Nuemok’s bleed all over my socks.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gator belly and gator back have very different shapes to the scales.

The belly has squarer, more regular shapes.

The back has rounder, more irregular shapes, like on his shoes.

The heels have the squarer scales.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get it.
No sir, I’m the one who doesn’t get it (I can’t visualize it). I don’t have any Imperial’s as you’ve described, so I’m trying to understand where they’d insert a plastic lift in the stack, especially on a nailed leather heel top. For many decades, AE has used a thin nylon interface between the rubber top-lift and the leatherboard stack, but that’s pretty common (others do that too).

Can you take some pics of the heel stack when you have a second?

hamercha

Reaction score
Are you sure they're gator? Seem irregular enough to be marine reptile skin like sea turtle?
(My gator is a lot more uniform)
It looks gator to my eyes. If it is very uniform, then it could be faked or embossed leather.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another great article about the demise of footwear manufacturing in US. This article is about Red Wing.

Well, as I look around where I inhabit, I would sum up the "demise" of good shoes and fashion in general as, "poorly dressed men and the wives who let them get away with it".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads