• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I thought I would put in a final update for my first ever leather project. A few details remain to be done. No, it certainly is not perfect but since I have never done such a thing before I don’t think it’s a bad first attempt. My inexpensive watch now has a leather band which based upon my out-of-pocket cost and my hourly billing rate probably cost $2000. ;) But I certainly had fun and I learned a lot. I’m glad I did this experimental band to get a little further along the learning curve before I build a second one for my I watch.

2201CA58-A6D4-4B18-9DF1-1FEA3F9E7E7D.jpeg

7C722BAE-6AD6-4D15-8385-474774B5F46E.jpeg
FD51D5AE-7595-44AE-8D1A-412C2AF6733D.jpeg
2168AA39-1585-4F1D-97A3-74AD75268725.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I would put in a final update for my first ever leather project. A few details remain to be done. No, it certainly is not perfect but since I have never done such a thing before I don’t think it’s a bad first attempt. My inexpensive watch now has a leather band which based upon my out-of-pocket cost and my hourly billing rate probably cost $2000. ;) But I certainly had fun and I learned a lot. I’m glad I did this experimental band to get a little further along the learning curve before I build a second one for my I watch.

View attachment 1193105 View attachment 1193106 View attachment 1193107
Great job! That looks pretty awesome, first time or not.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1193105 View attachment 1193106 View attachment 1193107
Looks great. If you get into watch bands you might look into something like this. This is a 1948 Singer 15-91 . Its a real workhorse, straight stitch only, gear driven. It'll sew heavy belt leather like butter and rolled denim seams.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 coats of oxblood on the wings and vamp. I'm thinking maybe brown on the quarters and on the edge of the wings in the transition to the vamp. The orange might be a little bright. Debating whether to go over it with a super diluted brown.

Thoughts? I probably should have mentioned that I am color blind so if this is looking horrendous dont be shy about straightening me out.

View attachment 1193073
I think they look great! They are a little loud so if you are good with that let them be. Polish will tone them down a bit. If you want a more subtle look hit the toe and tongue with a Very diluted brown.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Virginia Tech

Ah. Gotcha. Nope, wasnt going for that actually. Made some more progress. This is a little like shaving the sides of a mustache or goatee. Trim a little more... leave it...

Stopped keeping track of exactly what I was doing but the brogue trim is darkened up with brown, brown/black, black. The orange has some brown wisps blended into it.

I'm not sure if I should do something about the oxblood sections. Also not sure if I should keep on blending into the orange and continue to blacken some of the edges.

Leaving for now. Would love some suggestions.

20190616_154057.jpg
20190616_154104.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I think they look great! They are a little loud so if you are good with that let them be. Polish will tone them down a bit. If you want a more subtle look hit the toe and tongue with a Very diluted brown.

Yah, as I am looking at the pics they still seem too loud. I think the oxblood was a bad idea. Oh well. Will give some thought to whether or not to leave it or tinker more.

Maybe I will turn the orange parts oxblood and go with the dark brown/black trim. Might be more wearable for me.

Edit: I did exactly that... no more orange really other than a glimpse of it along the edges. Just too much going on with the bright orange and oxblood. They look much less bizarre now, albeit more mundane. The previous colors were interesting but if I am honest they would sit in my closet whereas now they'll be wearable for sure. Might continue to mess with getting more depth and subtle color variation but close to done now.

Oh yeah, one other big lesson learned. I'm usually fairly neat with my projects but getting lazy mid way through the day and using only one glove. Yah, not such a great idea. Just spent about 20 minutes scrubbing my hands. Surprisingly enough I got a lot of dye off. Now I just look a bit jaundiced. Oops. ;)

20190616_183558.jpg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First spin for my AE shark Nassaus with the grizzly bear sock my sons gave me for Father’s Day. They have a bit of a square toe, but, hey, that look will be back in style soon enough. Happy Father’s Day.
6E6551E4-33C4-45BF-AC2B-6512307DE5EF.jpeg
C3480032-5EBA-479B-8224-2B18C6CBF511.jpeg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sorry. Virginia Tech

Hah, no worries. I was racking my brain for a few minutes and the best I could come up with was Vermont colors in the fall (which would also be accurate). Cheers, my man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads