• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just surfing around. Here's a pair of Kieth Highlander shells I re-furbished a few years ago . They never fit quite right so I gave them away to someone here . Don't remember who.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Wow! That was really generous of you! If you have any other ill fitting size 10 or 9.5E shells laying around I am not too ashamed to accept this type of charitable contribution. ;)

Just surfing around. Here's a pair of Kieth Highlander shells I re-furbished a few years ago . They never fit quite right so I gave them away to someone here . Don't remember who. View attachment 1192848

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New (to me) Keith Highlanders. I picked these up for the price of lunch on Poshmark. The leather quality is amazing. I went at them with saddle soap, conditioned with Bick 4 and Saphir renovatuer and that’s it for the uppers. I had them re-heeled and I put Topys on them. I fancied up the edges too. I’m really liking these. They are comfy and the bold and unusual brogue pattern make them stand out in the right way.
View attachment 1192805 View attachment 1192806 View attachment 1192807

You have singlehandedly added another pair to my search. I must get these handsome foot coverings.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have singlehandedly added another pair to my search. I must get these handsome foot coverings.
Total dumb luck... I searched for Keith Highlander on Poshmark and these were the only result... and they were my size. Though the name sounds like a sci-fi movie character, I believe Keith Highlander was a premium shoe maker. I can say enough about the quality of the leather. They are really well constructed too.

Last edited:

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Put in a little more time today stripping these down. Pretty sure they are ready to be dyed. Seems like the darker panels are just darker since they looked pretty much this way after drying overnight. They are however perhaps a bit wet still right now. The toothbrush was most helpful for getting into the crevices. Excellent tip.

Now to decide what color to make them. Any good recommendations? I cant seem to decide and I bought a range of angelus dye colors.

View attachment 1192608 View attachment 1192609
That almost looks like they were made with two different leathers. Whatever colors you choose...they seem to be begging to be spectators.
Edit: I should have read through before posting. It seems you reached the same conclusion.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
That almost looks like they were made with two different leathers. Whatever colors you choose...they seem to be begging to be spectators.
Edit: I should have read through before posting. It seems you reached the same conclusion.

Agree with your conclusion. Going to keep laying down the dyes and see where it goes. If they turn into spectators, so be it. There are worse things. ;) This is definitely a lot of fun so far. One thing I know for sure is that the stitched/brogued area on the wing is going to end up dark. The stitching sloppiness there is bugging me but it will be fine once it's darker.

As you probably recall, these are sort of practice shoes for me but I do think they are going to end up being interesting. Just hope that some of the other pairs I am planning to dye have a little more consistent and lighter colored leather. These darker panels were a definite surprise on this pair that I don't think could have been predicted given how they originally looked.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Happy fathers day, fellas!

2 coats of orange cut to maybe 40% strength. This is on top of the yellow from yesterday. Wonder if the layers will show at the end. Another challenge has emerged. One of the quarters is the lighter color while the other 3 are dark. I can probably darken it up and get close to the other 3. Or just leave it. Or go really dark on all 4. Dunno. Guess we shall see.
20190616_090913.jpg

Last edited:

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Total dumb luck... I searched for Keith Highlander on Poshmark and these were the only result... and they were my size. Though the name sounds like a sci-fi movie character, I believe Keith Highlander was a premium shoe maker. I can say enough about the quality of the leather. They are really well constructed too.

I caught and release (sizing) a NOS Keith Highlander LWB. The leather quality is very nice and seems on par with Florsheim Imperial.

They seem to run 1 size bigger though. So it might be worth searching for 1 size smaller.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caught and release (sizing) a NOS Keith Highlander LWB. The leather quality is very nice and seems on par with Florsheim Imperial.

They seem to run 1 size bigger though. So it might be worth searching for 1 size smaller.
Mine are roomy but pretty true to size.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got pretty heavily into old shell shoes for awhile unfortunately I didn't take too many pics. This is one I still have of a pair of NOS Hanovers from the 60s. They were a solid color saddle shoe,
originally a color 8 that had faded to a whiskey probably in a shoe store window. The purpose of the pic was to show sanding and polishing of the black edging to a natural finish

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
2 coats of oxblood on the wings and vamp. I'm thinking maybe brown on the quarters and on the edge of the wings in the transition to the vamp. The orange might be a little bright. Debating whether to go over it with a super diluted brown.

Thoughts? I probably should have mentioned that I am color blind so if this is looking horrendous dont be shy about straightening me out.

20190616_122652.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 coats of oxblood on the wings and vamp. I'm thinking maybe brown on the quarters and on the edge of the wings in the transition to the vamp. The orange might be a little bright. Debating whether to go over it with a super diluted brown.

Thoughts? I probably should have mentioned that I am color blind so if this is looking horrendous dont be shy about straightening me out.

View attachment 1193073
If you are going for VT colors you are dead on. I'm looking for a pair of 14D to do for my brother just like this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads