• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please say it was you, @Thomas Crown, who got these Florsheim LWB sharkskins.
Whaat??—damn,I got behind on the thread and had to skip ahead-if someone posted those I missed them. Shark longwing Florsheim?— as long as they weren’t too astronomically priced I would jump on that!

kilowatts

Reaction score
Au contraire! Now I know there is a thing called "Custom Autograph", and that if I more thoroughly read Vcleat I might glean something about "Ankle Fashioned". I was not even aware it was their top of the line.

PS what are those loden suede NSTs in the middle of the second shelf? Gorgeous!

Hey Paul:

I think you mean the ones next to the Chelsea boots, eh? If so, not very exotic. They're AE Malone in distressed natural suede. They're a defunct model which only lasted one season and then disappeared, although I'm sure the AE experts will know better. I really bought them to try out their soles which are made from Lactea Hevea imported from France. Google it and see!

They're not exactly my cup of tea but they are comfortable enough to wear all day with no problems and the soles are every bit as good as they're advertised and seem to be just about indestructible too. I don't know what AE did to the suede but it's very thick, strong and supple, shame they weren't popular. As you can see I'm a sucker for suede shoes and not just because the Duke of Windsor made them popular in the 30's!

kilowatts

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Paul:

I think you mean the ones next to the Chelsea boots, eh? If so, not very exotic. They're AE Malone in distressed natural suede. They're a defunct model which only lasted one season and then disappeared, although I'm sure the AE experts will know better. I really bought them to try out their soles which are made from Lactea Hevea imported from France. Google it and see!

They're not exactly my cup of tea but they are comfortable enough to wear all day with no problems and the soles are every bit as good as they're advertised and seem to be just about indestructible too. I don't know what AE did to the suede but it's very thick, strong and supple, shame they weren't popular. As you can see I'm a sucker for suede shoes and not just because the Duke of Windsor made them popular in the 30's!

kilowatts

Yeah, those! I'm a sucker for NSTs, and suede. I looked up the lactea sole. Very interesting. Thank you, Sir.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never heard of Lactea Hevea soles before thrifting these Rancourts last Saturday, but looking it up just now, seems Rancourt write a whole blog post about it:
Lactea Hevea - The Back story
23E4541E-531D-422C-986A-650690C2B904.jpeg

Last edited:

Pedlar

Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whaat??—damn,I got behind on the thread and had to skip ahead-if someone posted those I missed them. Shark
I saw them after the fact. I will say there are lots of amazing 9Cs on eBay right now. If anyone is interested in some Florsheim LWBs in 10, these are Etsy.
8358EBBA-5FDE-45F2-BD15-66753BD93DCB.png

Last edited:

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rainy day in Milwaukee,so 93602’s get the call-such a great shoe-comfortable on my feet all day
5BE76647-DF43-4103-9691-F853E9380E16.jpeg
49E732BB-50E6-4238-BB5B-0C335158C32F.jpeg

In regards to the Nunn Bush discussion,I just thrifted some LWB “Custom Autographs “ to sell for probably not much since they appear to be of 1970’s mid-quality. I’m fascinated by the brand as the old Nunn Bush factory is only six blocks from my house and is now apartments etc. I find alot of Allen Edmonds here but not much NB in the thifts as the quality hasn’t been good for a long time. This is a blue collar town where it’s common for men to have one pair of nice shoes for weddings and funerals and a mid level pair for church so that by the time they hit St Vinnie’s they’re still in decent shape. The NB’s probably weren’t nice enough to keep in trees in the box on the top shelf of the closet.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Rainy day in Milwaukee,so 93602’s get the call-such a great shoe-comfortable on my feet all day View attachment 1191229 View attachment 1191230

In regards to the Nunn Bush discussion,I just thrifted some LWB “Custom Autographs “ to sell for probably not much since they appear to be of 1970’s mid-quality. I’m fascinated by the brand as the old Nunn Bush factory is only six blocks from my house and is now apartments etc. I find alot of Allen Edmonds here but not much NB in the thifts as the quality hasn’t been good for a long time. This is a blue collar town where it’s common for men to have one pair of nice shoes for weddings and funerals and a mid level pair for church so that by the time they hit St Vinnie’s they’re still in decent shape. The NB’s probably weren’t nice enough to keep in trees in the box on the top shelf of the closet.

Hey Thomas:

That's not all your hair is it?

kilowatts

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am always happy to see that pair. I wish they would have fit me. But at least they have a good home.
Thanks! I definitely couldn't let them go back to float in open waters! It's only slightly visible here, but I discovered lower angle direct sunlight brings out navy highlights! Guess this particular black was made from blue.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that was interesting. 20 minutes. I am not convinced that I want women wearing Allen Edmonds MacNeils. I prefer them wearing heels. And wedges. And whatnot.
Lol. Well, I had a look too and though I get your point, I think wingtips can work for some gals with certain outfits.
Besides, she lives where I do and even looks familiar. If ever I think I see her in person, I'll know to check the shoes.

Last edited:

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Wings Week - Walnut Wednesday

Nunn Bush Longwings

Love the fit, feel and thick soles. I feel unstoppable in these.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190612132605480_COVER.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are tons of size 13 out there. You just have to set up “Saved Searches” on eBay with several combinations of classic shoes. 13 Nettleton, 13 Florsheim, 13 Hanover, 13 Footjoy, etc. Check them daily or hourly, or every few days or every few hours as your neurosis allows and wait for something you like.

It will take some time to figure out which manufacturers fit better. Some you may want to move up a size or down a width, etc. Since we’re not buying in a store, it can be a little hit or miss to start. I’ve managed to accumulate 60+ vintage shoes over the last two years, and I’m a size 13 A (or AA, depending on the manufacturer and last). They’re out there to be had. Sometimes feast (3 pairs in a week) and sometimes it’s famine (nothing worth pursuing for weeks at a time). Take it as it comes.
"Take it as it comes", are good words spoken.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads