• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this is true except Florsheim made the spectators. I dont have the skill to make black into white. If they fit my fat feet they would still be in Illinois where they were born. Enjoy!

My apologies. I thought you finally pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I have been on the hunt for some shoes to dye and, as a result, have been scouring ebay more frequently than usual. Happened upon these this morning and almost pulled the trigger myself but if I am honest, I am not a huge fan of tassles and, more importantly, I don't think I have the skills to dye the tassle. So with that said, my next thought was that one of you might be interested....

These look like a good deal for sharkskin loafers. 9UK and seem to be in good shape. These are vintage Loake. If it wasn't already clear --- these are not mine.

Ebay Link
Thanks for the heads up. For future reference I don’t think sharkskin are good candidates for dyeing. I haven’t tried, but I’d guess that the tough skin and water resistant property of the skin would make it tough.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. For future reference I don’t think sharkskin are good candidates for dyeing. I haven’t tried, but I’d guess that the tough skin and water resistant property of the skin would make it tough.

Good thinking. Honestly I have no clue. I actually threw an offer out on that pair. If someone else really wants them I will not be heart broken if they are gone.

Anyone try to dye shark and knows for sure what will happen? If it cant be done please let me know and i will cancel my offer. Otherwise might be a good science project. ;)

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried stretching sharkskin shoes?
Good thinking. Honestly I have no clue. I actually threw an offer out on that pair. If someone else really wants them I will not be heart broken if they are gone.

Anyone try to dye shark and knows for sure what will happen? If it cant be done please let me know and i will cancel my offer. Otherwise might be a good science project. ;)

My pair of sharkskin saddle shoes has a very smooth and non-porous surface so I'd bet that it wouldn't take to dyeing very well.

Side question, has anyone ever tried stretching sharkskin a bit? Does it work?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried stretching sharkskin shoes?

My pair of sharkskin saddle shoes has a very smooth and non-porous surface so I'd bet that it wouldn't take to dyeing very well.

Side question, has anyone ever tried stretching sharkskin a bit? Does it work?

Hmmm. So thats 2 nays on dying the shark. Maybe I better back out of my offer, which was apparently ignored anyway. Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to contribute on the stretching topic.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I dyed a sharkskin belt from brown to black last week. No problems.

All right... maybe I will get them after all in that case. Now that I cancelled my offer I am sure the seller will assume I am some nutcase. Maybe he's right.

Just out of curiosity, does dying shark black (or I was thinking navy possibly) significantly tone down the aesthetic?

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Greetings. I hate to interrupt this thread, but I thought I might de-lurk and present myself for a moment. After reading the first 500 pages of this thread and seeing one amazing pair of shoes after another, I think I want in, but I have *no* knowledge in these things; also I have an odd shoe size, 13D, which makes finding anything nice a chore. Judging from what I see in this thread, everybody's more like a 9.5?The time may have come to upgrade my shoes (Thom McAn right now). By the way, I just received these from eBay: would anyone care to guess as to manufacturer? Thank you and I promise not to be an annoying noob.

Welcome to the thread. 500 pages is no small feat. 13D is a little hard to find, but you have just given us permission to enable your new addiction. It will not be long before you are wondering where to store all the new shoes.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am off for a stroll and a glass of wine in the market in Ottawa wearing my Peal and Co. Brooks Brothers Brogues. Guaranteed to raise a smile!
IMG_2060.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Wings Week - Monday

Florsheim 97625 Kenmoor Handstained Brown.

Love the fit, feel and contrast stitching.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190610084811039_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190610093449762_COVER.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of start out with no clue and use the thread for its abundant clues. I’ve learned a ton from this group of dudes who are ready and willing to mentor.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this is true except Florsheim made the spectators. I dont have the skill to make black into white. If they fit my fat feet they would still be in Illinois where they were born. Enjoy!

Take credit, even when credit isn't due.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics