• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you
I mentioned yesterday that I had a pair of PTBs that I had not yet worn, and that was enough of a reminder that this box needed to be checked. I looked for a pair of Florsheim PTBs like this for several years, until I finally looked at a catalog on Vcleat.com and discovered they were never made in EEE. Hard to find something that does not exist. I then found a pair of Bostonian Crown Windsor, but they were a touch small and did not close well. Thus, they did not get worn. Then I stumbled across these on Ebay. Nothing to get excited about as they were Stafford, the JC Penny Brand. Not sure who made them, but it was after the great shoe exodus and they were made in India. I estimate around 2000. They seemed to be relatively well made so I took a chance on them as they were a little larger and I needed such a style. They will do, especially since there are few alternatives.

View attachment 1150477
View attachment 1150478
always bring the goodness. those PBTs look fantastic.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
I mentioned yesterday that I had a pair of PTBs that I had not yet worn, and that was enough of a reminder that this box needed to be checked. I looked for a pair of Florsheim PTBs like this for several years, until I finally looked at a catalog on Vcleat.com and discovered they were never made in EEE. Hard to find something that does not exist. I then found a pair of Bostonian Crown Windsor, but they were a touch small and did not close well. Thus, they did not get worn. Then I stumbled across these on Ebay. Nothing to get excited about as they were Stafford, the JC Penny Brand. Not sure who made them, but it was after the great shoe exodus and they were made in India. I estimate around 2000. They seemed to be relatively well made so I took a chance on them as they were a little larger and I needed such a style. They will do, especially since there are few alternatives.

View attachment 1150477
View attachment 1150478
Hi Smfdoc,
Do you think those PTBs would look good with antiqued brass eyelets?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi Smfdoc,
Do you think those PTBs would look good with antiqued brass eyelets?

Yes, I do think they would look pretty nifty. I do not have an example of a PTB to show, but I do have an order in for something that has the same vibe. These are a brown scotch grain Alden shoes with the brass eyelets. I think this would give you a decent idea of how that would look.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 3.59.53 PM.png

Grant Stone also has a veg tan PTB with antiqued eyelets which works well.

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 4.07.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was somebody talking about 93602s? View attachment 1150788

I've decided that I need to get a pair of 93602's to fill that void in my collection.

Any thoughts on this pair? It's probably the nicest one up for sale in the past couple weeks. Overall seems to be in decent shape except for the cracking along the rear piping that can be seen in the 5th photo, but not totally horrible. Or wondering if I should just be more patient.

640x426-2018070500163.jpg

640x426-2018070500165.jpg

640x426-2018070500164.jpg

640x426-2018070500167.jpg

640x426-2018070500170.jpg

640x426-2018070500172.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided that I need to get a pair of 93602's to fill that void in my collection.

Any thoughts on this pair? It's probably the nicest one up for sale in the past couple weeks. Overall seems to be in decent shape except for the cracking along the rear piping that can be seen in the 5th photo, but not totally horrible. Or wondering if I should just be more patient.

View attachment 1150811

View attachment 1150812

View attachment 1150813

View attachment 1150814

View attachment 1150815

View attachment 1150816

Depends on price

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on price

Too high for US/Canada standards, but on par for Japan... so just wondering what the experts think about the condition.

On eBay, I guess $40 USD might be okay? Going over $50 gets iffy.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1150815
That cracking looks pretty serious. I'd suggest waiting for another pair to come along.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too high for US/Canada standards, but on par for Japan... so just wondering what the experts think about the condition.

On eBay, I guess $40 USD might be okay? Going over $50 gets iffy.

Too expensive for the existing damage

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1150811

View attachment 1150812

View attachment 1150813

View attachment 1150814

View attachment 1150815

View attachment 1150816

I agree that they have a moderate amount of wear and should be $50 or less. But should you get them? Probably not. A better pair will come at some point. I would only get them if there was a serious limit on your shoe budget or if you are a very odd size that does not come up very often. Otherwise I would recommend you get a better pair that you will be happier with.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that they have a moderate amount of wear and should be $50 or less. But should you get them? Probably not. A better pair will come at some point. I would only get them if there was a serious limit on your shoe budget or if you are a very odd size that does not come up very often. Otherwise I would recommend you get a better pair that you will be happier with.
I paid $75 USD for a pair last year in very good condition. Might have overpaid a touch, but they are outstanding and I love them. It balances out the pair I bought for $2.75 in average condition.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished the overhaul of these Florsheim captoes made exclusively for Florsheim shops. Crowdsources say they are bison. I wasn't happy with the color variation, and so I stripped and dyed them. Here's what they looked like midway through and acetone strip:
View attachment 1150115
Some parts of the upper came really clean, with some underlying dye. Other areas were stripped right down the bare leather. I was worried that the bare areas would over-absorb the dye. I chose Fiebings moccasin brown dye, hoping to achieve some of the reddish brown of the original upper. I followed @mreams99 's advice and diluted the dye with alcohol. When I applied the dye, there was still serious discolorations, and so I applied several rounds of the diluted dye. Some parts were still too light. I went over those areas with pure dye, and the color variation evened out quite a bit. I stopped after that, deciding that some color variation looked cool. Here's what they looked like post dye:
View attachment 1150116
They were really dark, and I was sort of worried that I applied too much dye. I let them dry and then applied several rounds of Bick 4 with my hands. The dye was coming off on my hands (and it now looks like I have jaundice hands), but I decided that massaging the Bikc 4 into the leather helped even the color. Here's what they looked like after the Bick 4 application:
View attachment 1150117
I wanted some shine, of course, so I applied a coat of Saphir reno. I liked the shine, but they were still dark. So, I used a rag to apply a couple of coats of VSC. It took off some of the dye, which is what I wanted. The VSC also cleaned the stitching on the upper, highlighting that feature of the shoe (which is what I love about them). The VSC treatment left a wonderful museum reddish/brown effect that shows up in sunlight. At this point, I was starting to feel pretty good about my experiment:
View attachment 1150118
I polished the toes with a little Saphir neutral wax. I then sanded the edges and applied light brown shoe cream and neutral wax polish. I had these mustard laces and threw them on. It sort of picks up the color of the edges and the stitching. I may just put on brown laces later. Here's the final result. I'm pretty happy with how they came out.

View attachment 1150122 View attachment 1150123 View attachment 1150124
To echo everyone else-those are stunning! They couldn’t have looked as good if they were new-the VSC was the perfect finishing move,revealing the stitching and helping to bridge the laces and the sole edges

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
Yes, I do think they would look pretty nifty. I do not have an example of a PTB to show, but I do have an order in for something that has the same vibe. These are a brown scotch grain Alden shoes with the brass eyelets. I think this would give you a decent idea of how that would look.

View attachment 1150716

Grant Stone also has a veg tan PTB with antiqued eyelets which works well.

View attachment 1150722
Ok. Thanks for the examples.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads