• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Hinsdale shell loafers I was able to find with a brand new recraft job already on them.
47B0124E-9DE7-49B8-A49F-DDB34F19D585.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My appreciation of many things vintage took me to the movie theater and 1969 to see a new documentary on Apollo 11. 50 years ago, our country did the near impossible and sent two guys to the moon and return. The documentary was special because they were allowed to access the treasure trove of footage that NASA took of every aspect of the mission and then just filed away to remain unseen. You REALLY feel that you are in the room, walking with the astronauts and going with them on the trip. The vintage portion was seeing all the white shirts, thin ties, crew cuts, pay phones, slide rulers, manual typewriters, reel to reel tape recorders phones with rotary dials and the rest of the clothes seen in the footage of the crowd shots. The lunar lander had to use fuel to slow down from 3600 mph, descend to the surface, slow down and then land gently. They had 3 minutes and 32 seconds of available fuel to do this safely. They touched down with 16 second of fuel remaining in the tank. The movie is out in select locations and it is well worth dropping back a half century ago and feeling the pride of an amazing accomplishment, especially given the technology we now view as so primitive.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally decided my Bostonian Crown Windsors were too small and I moved them on to a new owner. But I still wanted a brown pebble PTB to replace them. Florsheim did not make a EEE, so they were out and very few from other makers come up in my size. I then tumbled onto a slightly larger pair, that appear to be from around 2000 as things went off shore. Many similarities to the BCW I were selling and to some other decent shoes, but these were not made in USA. Since they were inexpensive and returnable I pulled the trigger and they fit pretty well. These will certainly do until something better comes along, if they ever do. They still have some damp areas after the wipe down process. Now for a little more clean up and proper level of shine.

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a little bit of thrifting stardust fall on me today. I stopped at the local Value Village and bought a pair of really ugly, worn at the heel, hand waxed finish Dack's tasseled loafers for $13.00. I regretted the purchase immediately. On my drive home I decided that I didn't want to waste the effort to clean them, so I stopped at the men's mission and donated them. To my surprise I was given a $10 off coupon so I wandered over to the tiny space where they keep a few men's shoes and found these NOS early 1970's McHale chestnut brown balmorals. I had the coupon for roughly 45 seconds.

View attachment 1143913

View attachment 1143914

View attachment 1143915
Outstanding @Jiqea ! The shoe trees alone are incredible.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My appreciation of many things vintage took me to the movie theater and 1969 to see a new documentary on Apollo 11. 50 years ago, our country did the near impossible and sent two guys to the moon and return. The documentary was special because they were allowed to access the treasure trove of footage that NASA took of every aspect of the mission and then just filed away to remain unseen. You REALLY feel that you are in the room, walking with the astronauts and going with them on the trip. The vintage portion was seeing all the white shirts, thin ties, crew cuts, pay phones, slide rulers, manual typewriters, reel to reel tape recorders phones with rotary dials and the rest of the clothes seen in the footage of the crowd shots. The lunar lander had to use fuel to slow down from 3600 mph, descend to the surface, slow down and then land gently. They had 3 minutes and 32 seconds of available fuel to do this safely. They touched down with 16 second of fuel remaining in the tank. The movie is out in select locations and it is well worth dropping back a half century ago and feeling the pride of an amazing accomplishment, especially given the technology we now view as so primitive.
Well said @smfdoc . Read recently that it is quite impressive. I can still remember where I was that day in Ft Worth at Carswell AFB.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wet and warm again today.

Vintage Barrie LTD Booters longwings.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190314084328266_COVER.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well said @smfdoc . Read recently that it is quite impressive. I can still remember where I was that day in Ft Worth at Carswell AFB.

Thanks. It was a great documentary that did not go into "talking heads" and lots of narration. Just showing the actual footage and some graphics for clarity of some of the maneuvers they had to accomplish. It is one of those movies that will be better appreciated on the large screen.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been a shell kind of week. The AE Cambridge on Tuesday. Alden shell loafers on Wednesday. AE MacNeil in black shell yesterday. And Alden NST today. None of them particularly vintage (though the Alden loafers may qualify).

It’s been a hard week, and this is one small thing I’ve been doing to remind myself of the good things in life.

43399AAD-5FD0-4A7D-A4C1-8F085ED0A0D7.jpeg

D0027712-23A9-4FCC-9C8D-9985F373F257.jpeg

F1890256-864B-4FB6-B0CA-0EAF601D41BB.jpeg

0897A396-9171-47DC-BA26-46402C3B8D00.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been a shell kind of week. The AE Cambridge on Tuesday. Alden shell loafers on Wednesday. AE MacNeil in black shell yesterday. And Alden NST today. None of them particularly vintage (though the Alden loafers may qualify).

It’s been a hard week, and this is one small thing I’ve been doing to remind myself of the good things in life.

View attachment 1144337

View attachment 1144336

View attachment 1144335

View attachment 1144334

That’s a great attitude to have. I just spent a gruelling 3 hours running around the courthouse trying to locate some paperwork. In 2019, our justice system is still dependent on paper.

But tomorrow, I will likely pick up my 3 recent purchases.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It was a great documentary that did not go into "talking heads" and lots of narration. Just showing the actual footage and some graphics for clarity of some of the maneuvers they had to accomplish. It is one of those movies that will be better appreciated on the large screen.
Side note - Carswell was a SAC base. After the moon landing I can vividly remember going outside to see first a Phantom scream over, then some BUFF’s take off. Been privileged to meet both Admiral Shepard and Captain Lovell. Amazing stuff these great Americans accomplished.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side note - Carswell was a SAC base. After the moon landing I can vividly remember going outside to see first a Phantom scream over, then some BUFF’s take off. Been privileged to meet both Admiral Shepard and Captain Lovell. Amazing stuff these great Americans accomplished.

My mother is fairly close to Rusty Schweickart (Apolo 9). He is the brother of my mom's best friend. I think they might have dated once upon a time. He can tell some great stories. New Jersey boy to boot.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother is fairly close to Rusty Schweickart (Apolo 9). He is the brother of my mom's best friend. I think they might have dated once upon a time. He can tell some great stories. New Jersey boy to boot.

So you could be Rusty's son?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads