• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting the shine on my C&J for Peal & Co./Brooks Bros captoe oxfords while watching Japan v. Senegal in the World Cup. And thanking the forgetful previous owner, who brought them to my cobbler for new JR soles and combination heels and never came back for them. Two years later the shop put them on the Bay and I was able to get them for the cost of repair.
fullsizeoutput_11f7.jpeg

EDIT: Another pair in 9.5 D popped up just now at $45 BIN (not my listing): 263775967415
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Medicfourlife

Reaction score
PSA: In the event of sleeping in, Fiebing’s Sole and Edge Dressing can be removed from skin with baby wipes...

4B1DC0B2-44DD-4F9F-9206-49BD1DFDBF81.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Thank you for the best laugh of the day. As a father of 6 grown sons, I can say "Been there; done that."

As a dad myself I too can attest to the power of the baby wipe. But I think Fiebings is probably the biggest test of all.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And for those thread members who have multiple children, you will occasionally find that they will not "get along." This can be cured with a "Get along shirt." Put them in it and it stays on until they start getting along. After just one use, subsequent threats of getting out the shirt will work wonders. When they get older, you can threaten them with brushing all of your shoes.

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 2.02.51 PM.png

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for those thread members who have multiple children, you will occasionally find that they will not "get along." This can be cured with a "Get along shirt." Put them in it and it stays on until they start getting along. After just one use, subsequent threats of getting out the shirt will work wonders. When they get older, you can threaten them with brushing all of your shoes.

View attachment 994972
I just use duct tape to achieve the same effect. I don’t have the artisanal skill to craft a get along shirt.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: In the event of sleeping in, Fiebing’s Sole and Edge Dressing can be removed from skin with baby wipes...

View attachment 994897
Having 2 and 4 year olds in the house, there are several things I’ve learned about baby wipes:

1. You can clean anything with them;
2. You can never have enough of them;
3. They are never close enough when you desperately need them (e.g. Code: Brown);
4. When can least afford to run out of them, you will.

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 994972
That is hilarious. I have 3 and (almost) 5 year old daughters. I will have to keep that one in mind for the future!

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the Golden Harvests posted recently and thought this would be a great day for them-
5738DBE3-D73A-49C9-8D86-695AFEF927DC.jpeg
I was in Scotland recently and though I traveled with three pairs of shoes and aquired another,none were sufficiently vintage so I had nothing to post-some of you also on the AE thread got quite a few “in the wild”shots-Alas,time to get back in the shoe game
at O’Hare with AE Bellevues
BB9213D9-C59F-4C22-B249-B291B3DD6EB0.jpeg
at the Castle at St Andrews with Oliver Sweeney suede loafers
DF00CA27-4CD9-44A8-923B-3851ADE90268.jpeg
Brooks Aberdeens at St Andrews 18th green
C222BDC0-540B-4C23-8E20-F65AE3068F56.jpeg
Alden 945’s at Rob Roy’s grave,Balquhidder Glen
90D4E52B-CD08-4816-9B43-5616E2A16217.jpeg
Aberdeens on Loch Katrine
5BF0BEAC-EB86-4E58-A200-DF1C42480CE8.jpeg
Aldens at Doune Castle stairs where John Cleese slaughtered the wedding guests in Monty Pythons Holy Grail
3BF4B3ED-3221-41D4-B835-A59827447196.jpeg
a wee dram of Tamdhu and the Sweeney loafers at Kilfinan Hotel,Argyll coast
526C7677-90D4-49F1-B32C-180475376BFB.jpeg
and a pint of Tennet’s lager and the Brooks Aberdeens at the Grassmarket,Edinburgh
292A60CE-DAB8-4E55-B65F-41EB2E28BEF5.jpeg
[\spoiler]
Scotland shoe pics!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hanover shells have now been cleaned, sanitized and three rounds of Bick4. After no where near enough buffing they srill look pretty lifeless. I do not want to add color. So would you guys go with VSC, colourless 1909 creme deluxe or both? (Yes Suitforcourt that spelling was for you)

Medicfourlife

Reaction score
The Hanover shells have now been cleaned, sanitized and three rounds of Bick4. After no where near enough buffing they srill look pretty lifeless. I do not want to add color. So would you guys go with VSC, colourless 1909 creme deluxe or both? (Yes Suitforcourt that spelling was for you)
The last pair of shells I worked over I did two rounds of VSC, then finished with 1909, with a day in between each. This approach worked well for me and gave them a nice shine, though YMMV. I just had a pair of shell AE Leeds arrive today that I’m going to give the same treatment to.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

My regime for shell and just about anything else is as follows:

Damp wipe over soles, inside and uppers. Keep applying Lexol until the shoes stop drinking, usually 2-3-4 heavy applications with a shop rag. Lots of brushing when dry. I usually then apply a small amount of Meltonian cream in the correct colour. Brush. Then I finish off with a good polish with a small amount of Kiwi clear followed by lots of brushing and a final hard polish with a soft cloth. While I'm polishing I find a lot of the color will transfer to the cloth which is just fine as I don't want to apply much at all. I know there are other methods but this works for me.

Please note the international spelling application as a sop to political correctness and North American relations!

kilowatts

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi again:

Sometimes in vintage shoes the rolls in shell appear dry after a hard days wear. In the past I've applied Lexol to the area with a rag, let it soak in followed with a polish. I've found that the issue disappears after a few applications. I've never had a new pair so I can't compare the two.

Also, I usually apply a liberal coat of dubbin to the soles if they're dry as it seems to help. I've tried Lexol but I didn't think it looked right somehow. I have a pair of vintage shoes with very good quality butyl soles which were put away wet by me. Bad mistake as they became very soft, but after a couple of coats of dubbin they were healed! Couldn't resist the pun!

kilowatts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads