• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The lack of a vcleat is not an issue for me. I have pairs with and without it. Just a great shoe even with the BIN price. Compare it to anything at AE or Alden and the value is amazing. Go ahead, you know you need them.

View attachment 994698
Your update is more like it! :D

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, I got nothin. Maybe DavidVC, smfdoc, or suitforcourt have some info.

I have never heard of the brand, but according to shellcordovanmodels.com, they did make a shell tassel loafer, style number unknown. They clearly also made a shell lwb, but that is all I know.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went thrifting today and I found a OLD pair of black shell LWBs. They are worn and I can't tell who made them. The lettering inside is all gone, but I can see that they are a D width and there is a 90 inside near that, so maybe that meant 9.0. Who knows? The outsole measures 12 1/4 inches. But even though they have had replacement heels and the soles are getting thin, the upper leather is not in bad shape. That is the beauty of shell. It can last incredibly long. They are dirty and there is lots of bloom so they have been sitting.

View attachment 994663 View attachment 994664 View attachment 994665 View attachment 994666

I walked away from them 3 times, but I finally felt I had a reason to get them. I knew SOMEBODY on the thread has been wishing they had some old shell shoes for a project, to see how they could clean up. A practice pair if you will. I think you would be impressed how they could clean up. If they fit, they would be a great beater pair. If they cleaned up and fit, you may even want to spend some money on some sole work when they get a hole.

So, on the third time I laid out the princely sum of $6 and took them home. PM me if you wish to have them for the same $6. I guarantee only that they are black shell LWBs in D width. The rest is speculation. You would either have to pay postage or send me a mailing type label I can print and tape to the box if you are having your work pay the mailing. So, who wants to play with some shell?
12D here. Would they fit me?

Medicfourlife

Reaction score
12D here. Would they fit me?

I measured my 11D AE Neumoks outsole and that came in at just over 13” and some size 10D Cole Haans I have laying around which we’re just over 12” so I’m guessing size 10 is probably about right.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of the brand, but according to shellcordovanmodels.com, they did make a shell tassel loafer, style number unknown. They clearly also made a shell lwb, but that is all I know.

I have also never heard of this brand. But would love to learn about it!

Shell shoes are always a winning thrift.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went thrifting today and I found a OLD pair of black shell LWBs. They are worn and I can't tell who made them. The lettering inside is all gone, but I can see that they are a D width and there is a 90 inside near that, so maybe that meant 9.0. Who knows? The outsole measures 12 1/4 inches. But even though they have had replacement heels and the soles are getting thin, the upper leather is not in bad shape. That is the beauty of shell. It can last incredibly long. They are dirty and there is lots of bloom so they have been sitting.

View attachment 994663 View attachment 994664 View attachment 994665 View attachment 994666

I walked away from them 3 times, but I finally felt I had a reason to get them. I knew SOMEBODY on the thread has been wishing they had some old shell shoes for a project, to see how they could clean up. A practice pair if you will. I think you would be impressed how they could clean up. If they fit, they would be a great beater pair. If they cleaned up and fit, you may even want to spend some money on some sole work when they get a hole.

So, on the third time I laid out the princely sum of $6 and took them home. PM me if you wish to have them for the same $6. I guarantee only that they are black shell LWBs in D width. The rest is speculation. You would either have to pay postage or send me a mailing type label I can print and tape to the box if you are having your work pay the mailing. So, who wants to play with some shell?

Not likely my size, and I have 3 pairs of shoes in the mail, include 42 year old MacGregor’s in need of restoration.

But I’d love to know what the are. IMHO, they’re not Alden, AE or Hanover. I also feel like they’re not a Florsheim because of the last. Maybe Nettleton or Bostonian?

LLEE

Reaction score
Hanover’s are wonderful.

2D56EA98-AF1E-49B3-8060-6DFDD4EEF7FA.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Leaving behind the good for something better. I saw these at Value Village yesterday. They fit. They had good soft leather. They were made in Italy. In excellent condition. Price was affordable at $15.

I would not buy them. They lacked a certain aesthetic that failed to please me.

I am practicing the choice of leaving behind the good, in search for something great.

IMG_1471.JPG

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaving behind the good for something better. I saw these at Value Village yesterday. They fit. They had good soft leather. They were made in Italy. In excellent condition. Price was affordable at $15.

I would not buy them. They lacked a certain aesthetic that failed to please me.

I am practicing the choice of leaving behind the good, in search for something great.

View attachment 994847
So you probably made the right call. While the Italians make some very fine shoes, they also make carefully disguised garbage like this:

https://www.styleforum.net/posts/9375909/

If I couldn’t verify the vintage and pedigree of said shoes, I’d have just walked away from them also.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
So you probably made the right call. While the Italians make some very fine shoes, they also make carefully disguised garbage like this:

https://www.styleforum.net/posts/9375909/

If I couldn’t verify the vintage and pedigree of said shoes, I’d have just walked away from them also.

Yikes, that was a behind the scenes look at a horrorshow. Now we know how the sausages get made.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Thanks to suitforcourt I now have my first pair of Stuart McGuire shoes, in a dark oxblood almost black cherry longwings.

Roughed up the leather by stomping on the tops, Two coats of Bick 4, some Saphir Renovateur and brown wax polish.

Original thin laces, with the generous instep I chose the “understart” lace method (my terminology).

IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to suitforcourt I now have my first pair of Stuart McGuire shoes, in a dark oxblood almost black cherry longwings.

Roughed up the leather by stomping on the tops, Two coats of Bick 4, some Saphir Renovateur and brown wax polish.

Original thin laces, with the generous instep I chose the “understart” lace method (my terminology).

View attachment 994853 View attachment 994854 View attachment 994855 View attachment 994856 View attachment 994857

Wear them with enjoyment! Let us know how they feel after a day of walking.

I maintain most vintage shoes made in USA are superior to majority of modern day footwear.

I hope you help me to maintain this position.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I measured my 11D AE Neumoks outsole and that came in at just over 13” and some size 10D Cole Haans I have laying around which we’re just over 12” so I’m guessing size 10 is probably about right.

You’re correct, it would not even be close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads