• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my true vintage John Mchales. These are serious gunboats and are heavy, as they pounded in 2 rows of nails in the heel.

The last 2 owners really cared for the shoes as there are no rips, tears or even serious creasing.

Nevertheless, I put on several generous rounds of Bick 4. And then many many rounds of cherry colour paste from Saphir (blue label). Cherry was their iconic colour for this LWB.

Unfortunately a lot of the colour transferred to the welt area so I need to clean it further. Likely need a toothbrush at this point.

The shoes run long but remain comfortable. The soles are definitely stiff. These beauties date from the 1950s. So prior to my late father's arrival in the western hemisphere.

It's been LWB week for me. Nice to end it with a Canadian legend.

View attachment 993377

View attachment 993378

View attachment 993379

View attachment 993380

View attachment 993381

View attachment 993382

You are the shoe king of Canada today.

What's it like to walk in your pair? I love my pair. But they have no traction.

You have inspired me. I am going wear my pair as well.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pair of Nettletons, both alligator. Loafers and Saddle Oxfords. They are both AA-width, but fit wider.

So now I see a AAA-width Nettleton and wonder if the dress shoe styles are equally as generous as the more casual shoes. These would certainly be candidates for a water soak and heat gun. But I probably don't need another pair of shoes. Much less, black, which I wear less of these days. But $20?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nettleton-Black-Lace-Up-Dress-Shoes-13-AAA-Fantastic-Shoes/283007505984?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pair of Nettletons, both alligator. Loafers and Saddle Oxfords. They are both AA-width, but fit wider.

So now I see a AAA-width Nettleton and wonder if the dress shoe styles are equally as generous as the more casual shoes. These would certainly be candidates for a water soak and heat gun. But I probably don't need another pair of shoes. Much less, black, which I wear less of these days. But $20?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nettleton-Black-Lace-Up-Dress-Shoes-13-AAA-Fantastic-Shoes/283007505984?
Buy them anyways!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are the shoe king of Canada today.

What's it like to walk in your pair? I love my pair. But they have no traction.

You have inspired me. I am going wear my pair as well.

Shoe king is a fantastic title. I like it.

I find these are fairly stiff. They are size 9.5E, and not my proper size. So one of my toes rubs a little on interior bed as they run long. I find that the US made Florsheims are more comfortable, but again, I attribute any issues with the sizing as opposed to the shoe.

They are not as slippery as v-cleat, but you're right, not a lot of traction.

I think I have achieved everything I want in life. I have inspired the legendary @davidVC . That's it, nothing else to do or see!

PS. Pics or it didn't happen.

right_hook

Reaction score
Someone mentioned pebble grain shoes. I'm a big fan of such leather.
I want to share one pair with you.
Hoggs of Fife bench-made goodyear welted shoes. Very interesting example of classic British country footwear.

w_DSC6739.jpg

w_DSC6742.jpg

w_DSC6752.jpg

w_DSC6767.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned pebble grain shoes. I'm a big fan of such leather.
I want to share one pair with you.
Hoggs of Fife bench-made goodyear welted shoes. Very interesting example of classic British country footwear.

w_DSC6739.jpg

w_DSC6742.jpg

w_DSC6752.jpg

w_DSC6767.jpg

I love pebbled grain PTB. This is a fine example.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful! I have been looking for a pair for myself since seeing them on vcleat, but have never found any in my size.

They seem to run big... It's hard to find them.

Medicfourlife

Reaction score
They seem to run big... It's hard to find them.

Asked a seller on eBay about the length/width of a pair he had listed to see if they would fit. He sent dimensions, then raised the price by $30 and declined an offer for the price they were listed at this morning. :angry: whatever dude.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe king is a fantastic title. I like it.

I find these are fairly stiff. They are size 9.5E, and not my proper size. So one of my toes rubs a little on interior bed as they run long. I find that the US made Florsheims are more comfortable, but again, I attribute any issues with the sizing as opposed to the shoe.

They are not as slippery as v-cleat, but you're right, not a lot of traction.

I think I have achieved everything I want in life. I have inspired the legendary @davidVC . That's it, nothing else to do or see!

PS. Pics or it didn't happen.

Proof!!!

IMG_1296.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my true vintage John Mchales. These are serious gunboats and are heavy, as they pounded in 2 rows of nails in the heel.

The last 2 owners really cared for the shoes as there are no rips, tears or even serious creasing.

Nevertheless, I put on several generous rounds of Bick 4. And then many many rounds of cherry colour paste from Saphir (blue label). Cherry was their iconic colour for this LWB.

Unfortunately a lot of the colour transferred to the welt area so I need to clean it further. Likely need a toothbrush at this point.

The shoes run long but remain comfortable. The soles are definitely stiff. These beauties date from the 1950s. So prior to my late father's arrival in the western hemisphere.

It's been LWB week for me. Nice to end it with a Canadian legend.

View attachment 993377

View attachment 993378

View attachment 993379

View attachment 993380

View attachment 993381

View attachment 993382
Sadly, I doubt I'll ever own these in my size, because giant-clown-foot-itis is a late 20th/early 21st century affliction. But I'm glad examples of these shoes still exist and somebody wears them.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crosby Square Airfilms today. Second time out in the wild. Ever. The trouble with NOS is that you actually have to break them in. They’re a little more comfortable today, but I also haven’t had to walk much.

The wrinkling in the vamp seems to indicate lower quality CG. And they are very slender (look at the lace gap).

6836381B-3F14-4760-8E3A-20E9C326346D.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crosby Square Airfilms today. Second time out in the wild. Ever. The trouble with NOS is that you actually have to break them in. They’re a little more comfortable today, but I also haven’t had to walk much.

The wrinkling in the vamp seems to indicate lower quality CG. And they are very slender (look at the lace gap).

View attachment 993555
They're reasonable quality CG. On a plain toe, you're going to notice creasing more. That said, those are really cool looking; (in my mind) very 60's retro-future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads