• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edgerton by Nunn Bush. Youth oriented brand per vcleat. What date range would you out these in? Leather insole with what I’d call a half leather lining. Thanks
70670FAD-B1F5-4006-B353-A520BD9CF09F.jpeg
3B0F28C3-B7CF-4C23-8245-811E7275F6BD.jpeg
92E93316-D086-4CA3-889D-BA7D924DA7A0.jpeg
46B3CD15-AE96-4075-871B-158351371F86.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93602s today
IMG_3758.jpeg
IMG_3759.jpeg

Alden shell monk straps for an evening event
IMG_3762.jpeg
IMG_3763.jpeg

VintageZealot

Reaction score
This isn't a shoe question but thought I'd ask you well-turned-out gents if you wear or know of a maker of a high rise trouser? It seems more logical and ultimately more comfortable but I'm trying to gauge that with pants that don't have enough rise at the moment. Thanks.
I usually have to buy vintage pants on Etsy or in thrift stores to get a proper higher rise in the style/colours I like, but I have a friend who buys new ones from Red Kap.
Aside from the actual dress pant category a lot of the options in the "work pant" section seem like they would be considered dress pants by most people nowadays as well:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually have to buy vintage pants on Etsy or in thrift stores to get a proper higher rise in the style/colours I like, but I have a friend who buys new ones from Red Kap.
Aside from the actual dress pant category a lot of the options in the "work pant" section seem like they would be considered dress pants by most people nowadays as well:

Are pleated pants making a come back? My high school uniform pants in the 90s were required to be pleated. White or blue dress shirt. Black dress shoes.

Now the students wear cargo khakis. Casual style tops that have school emblem. Any footwear is fine. How times have changed.

VintageZealot

Reaction score
Are pleated pants making a come back? My high school uniform pants in the 90s were required to be pleated. White or blue dress shirt. Black dress shoes.

Now the students wear cargo khakis. Casual style tops that have school emblem. Any footwear is fine. How times have changed.
Depending on who you ask they are, though fashion these days seems a bit more random than in the past so it's hard to say for sure. Regardless I'm 23 and most of my pants are pleated, but I almost exclusively wear vintage clothes (hence my username).

In my opinion I think the key to pulling off pleated pants now is to make sure the pleats aren't too deep/poofy which can make the pants look ill-fitting and baggy. Trimmer more streamlined pleats along the lines of what someone would wear in a classic 1940s Hollywood movie have cleaner lines.

MathMan314

Reaction score
I teach at the high school I graduated from. When I was a student a decade ago, we had a dress code that required a solid color collared shirt tucked in to a pair of slacks or chinos in black, navy, gray, or tan. Solid black or brown shoes only. A well-dressed friend of mine, who went on to become a lawyer, once got a detention for wearing an argyle sweater (not a solid color). The dress code has since been removed, and the norm is sweatpants or pajama pants and Crocs or slides/sandals. Times have changed indeed.

As for pleated pants, I'm not sure. I don't see them too often. I find myself wearing pleats more often now, as I enjoy the relaxed fit they usually have.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on who you ask they are, though fashion these days seems a bit more random than in the past so it's hard to say for sure. Regardless I'm 23 and most of my pants are pleated, but I almost exclusively wear vintage clothes (hence my username).

In my opinion I think the key to pulling off pleated pants now is to make sure the pleats aren't too deep/poofy which can make the pants look ill-fitting and baggy. Trimmer more streamlined pleats along the lines of what someone would wear in a classic 1940s Hollywood movie have
I teach at the high school I graduated from. When I was a student a decade ago, we had a dress code that required a solid color collared shirt tucked in to a pair of slacks or chinos in black, navy, gray, or tan. Solid black or brown shoes only. A well-dressed friend of mine, who went on to become a lawyer, once got a detention for wearing an argyle sweater (not a solid color). The dress code has since been removed, and the norm is sweatpants or pajama pants and Crocs or slides/sandals. Times have changed indeed.

As for pleated pants, I'm not sure. I don't see them too often. I find myself wearing pleats more often now, as I enjoy the relaxed fit they usually have.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell NSTs with lug soles today.
IMG_3765.jpeg
IMG_3766.jpeg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put on some Glenn Miller and got to cleaning these. I hope that '1944' is the production date. Here's my case.
From thechaplainkit.com
One of the most commonly seen features on United States Military Equipment and Clothing is a DA, DSA, DLA, or SPO Contract Number stamp. The first was DA, which stands for Defense Agency. It ran from 1953 to 1961. If your item has a Manufacture’s Stamp only – it was made prior to the beginning of the Korean War. DA stamped items range from the Korean War to very early Vietnam War. Look for a two digit number, typically near the end of the code (it will range from 53 to 61) for the exact year of manufacture of your item.
E981EC3F-23F6-4C7C-BA5B-83CD33BF8EF9.jpeg
2709A42F-B0A2-4050-A7EF-6AFD5D943E1E.jpeg
97F8C2E6-6FAD-41DB-8546-F9D2210E5BB6.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I put on some Glenn Miller and got to cleaning these. I hope that '1944' is the production date. Here's my case.
From thechaplainkit.com
One of the most commonly seen features on United States Military Equipment and Clothing is a DA, DSA, DLA, or SPO Contract Number stamp. The first was DA, which stands for Defense Agency. It ran from 1953 to 1961. If your item has a Manufacture’s Stamp only – it was made prior to the beginning of the Korean War. DA stamped items range from the Korean War to very early Vietnam War. Look for a two digit number, typically near the end of the code (it will range from 53 to 61) for the exact year of manufacture of your item.
View attachment 1968581 View attachment 1968587 View attachment 1968585

Great shoes, cleanup and informative post. A vintage shoe thread trifecta!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's good to be back from a week-long trip where I can wear the shoes I choose. It is hard to pack 7 pairs of shoes in one carry-on bag. Back to some Florsheim shell.

IMG_3014.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week @Nobleprofessor declared a week of Florsheim but I didn't participate as I was in sandals during a heat wave.

Pulled out these NST that I got cheap. They were in really rough condition. Previously a half resole was done. The French cuffs/ribbing was all cracked.

I turned them over to Andrew Morden of Ambros Shoe Repair in Saskatoon. New ribbing, welts, double JR soles, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

Florsheim made these to only E width. These are 9.5D which work for my 8.5eee feet. They are long but otherwise everything is snug.

20230604_095726.jpg
20230604_095731.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If we all get together, close our eyes, click our heels three times and say "We would love a new V cleat post," it just might happen. It has been a year and I am ready for a new one. @davidVC

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads