• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, Bo Derek brings back memories...
Yeah. I'm a Gen Xer, so this is my memory of her.
e6d1c80c-c23b-44fc-bb5c-c8f6a100c130_text.gif

goatamous II

Reaction score
I'm of a different opinion on the watch

In my experience, auctions are too much of a gamble if you don't have a strong following.
The big benefit is a quick sale, with the cherry on top being a sale that surpasses your expectations

Conversely, a buy-it-now would be to sit and wait for the right buyer who will pay close to your asking price
You don't have a lot invested in it and it doesn't take up a lot of space, so if you're not in a rush to sell, it's usually the best way to get a good return
Downside obviously being that it may take a while to find the right buyer

Either way, good luck with your sale! It's a great piece

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'm of a different opinion on the watch

In my experience, auctions are too much of a gamble if you don't have a strong following.
The big benefit is a quick sale, with the cherry on top being a sale that surpasses your expectations

Conversely, a buy-it-now would be to sit and wait for the right buyer who will pay close to your asking price
You don't have a lot invested in it and it doesn't take up a lot of space, so if you're not in a rush to sell, it's usually the best way to get a good return
Downside obviously being that it may take a while to find the right buyer

Either way, good luck with your sale! It's a great piece

This is my view as well. I think there are some sellers that have such a great following that they can do OK with the auction format even for more niche items. My experience is that Buy it Now listings with Offers enabled yields the best result. My view would probably be different for items that draw broader interest and are almost guaranteed to have bidding activity from a good number of buyers.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my view as well. I think there are some sellers that have such a great following that they can do OK with the auction format even for more niche items. My experience is that Buy it Now listings with Offers enabled yields the best result. My view would probably be different for items that draw broader interest and are almost guaranteed to have bidding activity from a good number of buyers.
I don't think having a following is as big of a deal for auctions on certain items, watches being one of them. If it's a desirable watch, it will get the view regardless. If you take two photos and the description says, "I know nothing about this item", probably not so much, but a good listing may even yield better results via auction. YMMV

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming to you fellows for advice because I know some of you are active eBayer sellers. I sell a few things here and there (enough to throw Mrs. Nealjpage off my buying spree trails) but most things have been rather inconsequential.

Well last weekend I stopped at a flea market. I made about 6 or 7 rounds through the market; each time noticing a small, toy-looking diver watch on a table. On my last lap, I finally stopped and looked closely at it. It was a cheap looking ladies' diver on a plastic Speidel strap. The dial said 'Heuer,' so I was sure it was a fake. A little girl, about 4 or 5, was staffing the table with her mother. "Um, the watch is $3," she told me. I couldn't say no to her sales pitch so I forked over the cash and headed home.

View attachment 1925219

When I got home, I did some research. As it turns out, I stumbled upon a genuine Heuer, known in collector circles as the "Bo Derek" because it is what she wore in the famous movie "10."
View attachment 1925221

Ok, my wife will never wear it. I'll never wear it. So it's heading to eBay. Here's where I need some advice. My auctions haven't been going my way recently, but I don't see enough of these to try a buy it now. So I think I need to auction it. Should I list it as-is with a high opening bid? Put it on a decent strap and start it out at $0.99? Or something else? Thanks in advance, gents.
Looks like a Heuer 756. Does the watch work? Have you tested it at all?

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is. I haven't tested for accuracy but it does run.
Nice find :)

Here's a recent eBay completed item (there's another on right now for $850 that hasn't sold).

You might have luck on Reddit's Watchexchange or Rolex Forum / Heuer Forum...

Or, if you're not in a rush, keep it-- it's wicked cool and after a full service would probably be an excellent piece. Mrs. Neiljpage really wouldn't wear it?

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I don't think having a following is as big of a deal for auctions on certain items, watches being one of them. If it's a desirable watch, it will get the view regardless. If you take two photos and the description says, "I know nothing about this item", probably not so much, but a good listing may even yield better results via auction. YMMV

Oh, I agree with that. To be more clear about it, I was thinking something along the lines of LuxeSwap, which has a loyal following and uses the auction format. Generally, things seem to sell for what I would consider to be higher prices (even more niche items).

No doubt, watches, can garner more interest. I think that may be less the case with womens' watches, although I am not an expert. My experience was mainly in the shoe realm, where I learned quickly that auction formats can be risky depending upon the item.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming to you fellows for advice because I know some of you are active eBayer sellers. I sell a few things here and there (enough to throw Mrs. Nealjpage off my buying spree trails) but most things have been rather inconsequential.

Well last weekend I stopped at a flea market. I made about 6 or 7 rounds through the market; each time noticing a small, toy-looking diver watch on a table. On my last lap, I finally stopped and looked closely at it. It was a cheap looking ladies' diver on a plastic Speidel strap. The dial said 'Heuer,' so I was sure it was a fake. A little girl, about 4 or 5, was staffing the table with her mother. "Um, the watch is $3," she told me. I couldn't say no to her sales pitch so I forked over the cash and headed home.

View attachment 1925219

When I got home, I did some research. As it turns out, I stumbled upon a genuine Heuer, known in collector circles as the "Bo Derek" because it is what she wore in the famous movie "10."
View attachment 1925221

Ok, my wife will never wear it. I'll never wear it. So it's heading to eBay. Here's where I need some advice. My auctions haven't been going my way recently, but I don't see enough of these to try a buy it now. So I think I need to auction it. Should I list it as-is with a high opening bid? Put it on a decent strap and start it out at $0.99? Or something else? Thanks in advance, gents.
Leave the strap, assuming it’s original. Buyers of vintage watches want that. I’d list it as a BIN based on what these have sold for in the past. Then wait. Cool watch.

Satoman1

Reaction score
Picked this pair of Wolko shoes in almost NOS condition.

As far as I know, Wolko is a Germany shoes making company started in the late 19th century by a Jewish family. Most of the company's leaders died in the Nazi concentration camps and during that period the company was controlled by the Nazis, a survivor who fled abroad came back and took over the company after the war. They closed in the late 1960s because of the invasion of imported Italian shoes.

This pair seems to be made after the war, I think they are 50s more than 60s. Closed channel GYW, stitches are pretty solid. Unfortunately it's 1 size smaller than my foot. :(

p/s: Trying out a new lighting setup for shoe photography, I realized I had too many shoes and wanted to start a small online vintage shoe shop to spread the love of vintage shoes to everyone here in Vietnam. Anyway I've been WFH since covid happened and have quite a bit of free time. :-D

00000IMG_00000_BURST20230325163213877_COVER_2.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20230325162944528_COVER_2.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20230325163309896_COVER.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20230325163257780_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a pair of 96305 Florsheims in NOS condition on eBay today. The right shoe looks like it has been tried on at some point, but the sole of the right shoe looks like it started cracking in multiple places. The left sole looked normal. Has anyone seen such sole changes in older shoes before?

51C61E36-6FCF-4DC4-A8B6-DA4BAA886D88.jpeg
F8C20A3B-1B7A-4274-A638-C1190682E975.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proof of life post: J&M shell shortwings as my witness.
View attachment 1926121

I'm always hesitant to ask for proof of life. But good to hear from you. As always, you have to shame us of the fact you buy flowers for your wife, but we don't.

No doubt it's you.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads