• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Gents, hope everyone is doing well -- long time....

Quick question, recently picked up a pair of Florsheim nsts in the mid brown grain leather. They are close to NOS (little shop wear). In any event, they have what I think is some mold damage. The damage is primarily along the inner neck, heel counter, quarter, and midfoot on one shoe although there is some very minor isolated damage elsewhere.

I took a stab at cleaning with renomat to try to remove some of the staining. I got a little bit of color loss from this, which is normal in my experience with more aggressive reno use. It did help but only somewhat. The staining is maybe 30% better.

I cannot seem to decide whether to leave well enough alone, clean them up and use them, OR keep at it with the Reno and see if I can further improve them, OR strip the worst of the damage with acetone and redye trying to color match the rest of the shoe (this is probably not a good idea), OR strip both shoes and redye.

What would you do?

Note that the damage is higher contrast than it seems from the pic. The shoes are wet-ish right now since I'd sprayed them down to kill any potential live mold since they smelled a little musty.

IMG_5699.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quick question, recently picked up a pair of Florsheim nsts in the mid brown grain leather. They are close to NOS (little shop wear). In any event, they have what I think is some mold damage. The damage is primarily along the inner neck, heel counter, quarter, and midfoot on one shoe although there is some very minor isolated damage elsewhere.

I took a stab at cleaning with renomat to try to remove some of the staining. I got a little bit of color loss from this, which is normal in my experience with more aggressive reno use. It did help but only somewhat. The staining is maybe 30% better.

I cannot seem to decide whether to leave well enough alone, clean them up and use them, OR keep at it with the Reno and see if I can further improve them, OR strip the worst of the damage with acetone and redye trying to color match the rest of the shoe (this is probably not a good idea), OR strip both shoes and redye.

What would you do?

Note that the damage is higher contrast than it seems from the pic. The shoes are wet-ish right now since I'd sprayed them down to kill any potential live mold since they smelled a little musty.

View attachment 1863917

It seems that these are a good candidate for Plan A and the Plan B. Plan A would be local treatment and see if you can even things out to a level that is acceptable. Failing that, Plan B would be to strip and redye the pair.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Snagged a pair of nearly NOS (honestly don't look like they ever saw outdoors) beauties. See pics below.

Anyone care to guess the brand? I admit - the brand is fairly obscure, so this could be a toughie!

(For me the heel construction is different than most vintage longwings - normally they have an additional piece of leather covering the back seam. Not the "pigtail wrap" these feature...which are seen on some of my more expensive modern handmade shoes.)

New Shoe 1.png

New Shoe 2.png

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snagged a pair of nearly NOS (honestly don't look like they ever saw outdoors) beauties. See pics below.

Anyone care to guess the brand? I admit - the brand is fairly obscure, so this could be a toughie!

(For me the heel construction is different that most vintage longwings - normally they have an additional piece of leather covering the back seam. Not the "pigtail wrap" these feature...which are seen on some of my more expensive modern handmade shoes.)

View attachment 1863981
View attachment 1863982

Taylor Made?

BlueSteel

Reaction score

Bopper

Reaction score

What would you do?

View attachment 1863917
Have you tried giving them a thorough cleaning with warm water, a brush, and saddle soap or Lexol?

Bopper

Reaction score
Here's a recent pic of the NB Custom Autograph. The right shoe (as worn) shows a blemish on the vamp, a slight cracking. This, I believe is what occurs on the backside of creases, usually unseen. And I believe this one is due to the leather on the vamp being just a bit too long for the shoe when it was made, so it wrinkled. It's not getting any worse. I'll clean and condition them. I think it'll be OK.
peg legs.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What would you do?

View attachment 1863917
Nice pick up. I would spray them with pure white vinegar and let them sit in direct sunlight (not a great time of year for the latter, I know). White vinegar is a great all purpose, chemical-free disinfectant. It also kills mold. I dont think it will harm the leather, but try on the tongue before using it on other parts of the shoe. Good luck and show us how it comes out regardless of the method.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted my new J&M Hand Made 100s a few weeks ago. They came to me courtesy of a thread member. I’ve never seen a pair for sale before I bought them. Well, there’sanother pair on eBay in my size (9D). I’m not bidding as I’m quite happy with the pair I have. But this is your chance if you wear 9D or if you just want a museum pair for your collection.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Sunday forum pals. 93602s in Royal blue.

IMG_2426.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Have you tried giving them a thorough cleaning with warm water, a brush, and saddle soap or Lexol?

Lexol cleaner, yes. Saddle soap, no. If the renomat didn't really work, I tend to doubt that saddle soap will but appreciate the suggestion and will give that a try as well.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

(For me the heel construction is different than most vintage longwings - normally they have an additional piece of leather covering the back seam. Not the "pigtail wrap" these feature...which are seen on some of my more expensive modern handmade shoes.)

View attachment 1863981
View attachment 1863982

Pretty unfair of me to ask for guesses on these...a toughie! These are King-Size Shoes (Brockton, Mass.). They are on David's list of US makers - he says the company was sold in 1966 and liquidated in 1967.

King Size Shoes.jpg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Nice pick up. I would spray them with pure white vinegar and let them sit in direct sunlight (not a great time of year for the latter, I know). White vinegar is a great all purpose, chemical-free disinfectant. It also kills mold. I dont think it will harm the leather, but try on the tongue before using it on other parts of the shoe. Good luck and show us how it comes out regardless of the method.

Thanks! I did exactly this a few days ago and I think I may actually go for a 2nd round including perhaps a full soak in white vinegar. Post vinegar spray down, I did a rinse/soak in water (ie. to try to avoid water staining) it looks like there may be some new mold growth on the edge of the sole. Not 100% sure but definitely want to make sure that this is addressed and the vinegar didn't seem to have any negative impact at all.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE sharkskin Warton…
214258FE-2F74-4B48-920F-6A54DD6AE710.jpeg
6F8A6E54-D20A-4944-A732-249775AFFE28.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim shell PTBs for a live stage show. The repair package was named after yours truly. JR soles, grommets, toe taps, and cat paw heels.

20221204_133554.jpg
20221204_133615.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads