• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite pairs. These are 1940s Florsheim. They're in very rough condition, but I'll never find another pair large enough for me to wear.
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not vintage, but I had fun just now refreshing a pair of sad-looking AE Bradley shell I scored for peanuts on Ebay, for personal.
Picture 1 of 12

This orange peel deposit on the outside right heel was a bit of a concern.
Picture 11 of 12

Turns out they came right back with only water, trees and a good scrub with VSC and a stiff bristle brush. Then a rubdown with an automotive cloth and more VSC, brushing with a horsehair brush and buffing with a cut-up silk shirt.
View attachment 1838590
Love me some norwegian split toes.
View attachment 1838591
The rough section cleaned up really well with the 3500 grit auto polishing cloth and some VSC.
View attachment 1838592
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously tho, if you ever get inspired, I would love a little more detail on your technique. I can never get my shell to look like that.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously tho, if you ever get inspired, I would love a little more detail on your technique. I can never get my shell to look like that.
This is my newsletter! Here's everything I used on this pair, from left to right. Just a few steps: pulled the laces, checked for cracks. Brushed off the dust under flowing water at a utility sink, inserted trees. Brushed with VSC, rubbed the few rough spots with the auto chamois and VSC, then let them sit overnight to reshape and dry. Then brushed with the horsehair brush, buffed with the torn-up silk shirt, put the laces back in and that was it. All credit really goes to the underlying good condition of the shell, which just looked bad due to the dust and neglect.
6D549DCA-F04C-4BB1-9887-B2064C6F35E5_1_201_a.jpeg

And speaking of Aldens at weddings, here's my youngest and his gf at his cousin's wedding in Ravello yesterday. Shoes, belt, tie and overall good looks from dad, Suitsupply "Lazio" fit suit and other elements from Ebay. He is a chip off the old block.
C3A36550-1FAE-4190-9EAE-72DA629DD3B1_1_201_a.jpeg

Similar fit to my favorite style, the Neapolitan, but possibly with slightly narrower lapels from what I can tell.
477F6329-0128-4A8B-AB75-201B07E2DCA2neapolitan-jacket-construction-characteristics-lapels-rol...jpeg

Last edited:

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to brag and I think you gents are just the guys to appreciate it. No, this wasn't a $5 thrift store score but a $50 find at an antique shop, found in a rotating display case. You know the kind.
81+1200.png

Anyway, case had trays of coins and tie clips and other assorted furnishings, all priced at a premium. There were run of the mill Bulovas priced at $200, a plain-Jane stainless steel Omega at $500, and then I spot this little guy. I immediately recognized the name from my Atmos clock, and knew that JLC is a premium brand. It was the $50 price tag that threw me. I asked the clerk to see it. Now, just the other day Mrs. Nealjpage was lecturing me about my spending habits, so I was hesitant to drop coin on a replica from India, and the clerk scoffed when I asked if I could return the watch if it was a fake. I swallowed the knot in my stomach and made the purchase. When I got home I sneaked the watch to my bench, took a couple of pictures, and asked about it in some Facebook groups. It turns out to be a Jaeger-LeCoultre Mark VII Weems, a watch that was produced in very limited quantities for pilots in the early days of WWII, and worth significantly more than my initial investment. I am pleased.

20221001_143453.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to brag and I think you gents are just the guys to appreciate it. No, this wasn't a $5 thrift store score but a $50 find at an antique shop, found in a rotating display case. You know the kind.
View attachment 1839031
Anyway, case had trays of coins and tie clips and other assorted furnishings, all priced at a premium. There were run of the mill Bulovas priced at $200, a plain-Jane stainless steel Omega at $500, and then I spot this little guy. I immediately recognized the name from my Atmos clock, and knew that JLC is a premium brand. It was the $50 price tag that threw me. I asked the clerk to see it. Now, just the other day Mrs. Nealjpage was lecturing me about my spending habits, so I was hesitant to drop coin on a replica from India, and the clerk scoffed when I asked if I could return the watch if it was a fake. I swallowed the knot in my stomach and made the purchase. When I got home I sneaked the watch to my bench, took a couple of pictures, and asked about it in some Facebook groups. It turns out to be a Jaeger-LeCoultre Mark VII Weems, a watch that was produced in very limited quantities for pilots in the early days of WWII, and worth significantly more than my initial investment. I am pleased.

View attachment 1839032

Oh. I thought it was for shoes and said to myself "That must be massive if you can fit that many shoes in it!" :p

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1839031

View attachment 1839032
That’s way under 10% of retail so definitely would be a great post in the Thrift Brag Thread too. Congrats!

ZePrez

Reaction score

+1

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mr. Postman dropped off some 97626's for me in a slightly smaller size that I found on the Bay. Really nice condition. No cracks around the throat or anywhere else. Shell and sole are in great condition for a 33 year old shoe. Original XL Florsheim shoe trees. Time for some cleanup.

IMG_2273.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE Broadstreet - 90th anniversary edition. Definitely vintage.

20221003_095433.jpg
20221003_095436.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads