• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at making a "Golden Harvest" inspired longwing. Here is the progress thus far:
View attachment 1819685
I saw some Angelus acrylic leather paint in "mustard" while at a craft store, so I decided to do an experiment with it. I'm curious to find out how well an acrylic finish will hold up over time.

For this experiment I used a pair of Dexter for Sibley's of Detroit that I picked up for $5. I stripped them with acetone, which removed what seemed like an acrylic top coat. (It seems I forgot to take a picture of this part, but I can do that with the 2nd shoe.) I then applied 4 coats of the Angelus with a sponge brush, with between 10 minutes and an hour between coats.

I let that set for a bit more than 24 hours and applied Angelus acrylic finisher (a protective top layer) and let that sit for another 24 hours or so. I finished by tinting the mustard color down a bit with some Meltonian light brown shoe cream.

So far, I like the way it came out. The acrylic top coat was easy to work with, and it is far less "plastic-y" than I imagined it might be. It actually seems more pliable and leather like than the original finish on the shoes.

My plan is to finish the other shoe throughout this week, then start putting the shoes to use. Again, I am curious to see how well the acrylic paint holds up over time.

If it cracks or flakes away, I'll just strip everything and dye the shoes navy. If it ends up working well, then that opens up the door for other fun projects, like making spectators!

Sir, this is styleforum. Thirst traps are for instagram.

In all seriousness, they look great. Thanks for sharing.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1954 era Nunn Bush. Gotta work those spectators in the summer, gents. I notice that the stain on left shoe is actually fading. These stay in the closet a fair amount just due to the rotation. Could the exposure to renovateur spray decrease the stain over time? That’s my current theory.
42953827-4863-4250-BA82-BB7C88217F25.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1954 era Nunn Bush. Gotta work those spectators in the summer, gents. I notice that the stain on left shoe is actually fading. These stay in the closet a fair amount just due to the rotation. Could the exposure to renovateur spray decrease the stain over time? That’s my current theory.
View attachment 1820016

Absolutely handsome especially matched with those pants.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1820016

Spectators are so amazing. Vintage spectators even moreso.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1820016
The greatest appearance of spectators in films ever, IMO. The opening sequence of Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train. It foreshadows both major themes of the film and Bruno's personality in a very lapidary, visual, fashion.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spectators are hard to find on the silver screen, but they did play a part in the 2016 dance scenes in La La Land. Dual specaotors! I reserve comment on the singing and movie in general, but I enjoyed the shoes.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The greatest appearance of spectators in films ever, IMO. The opening sequence of Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train. It foreshadows both major themes of the film and Bruno's personality in a very lapidary, visual, fashion.

👍 I'm still looking for a cap toe spectator, 10.5D/11.5C, by the way.

k3nnyw

Reaction score
I’m not sure of the year of these AE shoes but I hope someone could tell me from their soles. I emailed an AE representative and they told me these were Hampstead dark brown burnish. First quad stitched blucher I have come across. Was it worth 70$? Anyways this is my first post on SF I hope to have a good time here 😊
BE10A538-FD23-4F37-9D47-5F83FF5B6C7A.jpeg

1062912F-D385-4B27-AB10-E580FE141DA0.jpeg

6D345C4F-376F-4F58-84EF-7964C3F86AF0.jpeg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the same shoe 49 weeks apart. I conclude that my eyes are worse not that fading is better. Oh well.
A7DE4CC2-8D46-4876-9933-99FF5E2AB993.jpeg
IMG_5145.JPG

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure of the year of these AE shoes but I hope someone could tell me from their soles. I emailed an AE representative and they told me these were Hampstead dark brown burnish. First quad stitched blucher I have come across. Was it worth 70$? Anyways this is my first post on SF I hope to have a good time here 😊
View attachment 1820532
View attachment 1820533
View attachment 1820535

Nice find and welcome to the thread!

That is indeed the Hampstead. I have it in black.

hampstead.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1820532
View attachment 1820533
View attachment 1820535

Welcome to the thread. If you like them and they fit they are worth $70 to me. There is a nice video that provides a good deal of information on dating AE shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Converting vintage shoe lasts into a coat rack.

IMG_1995.jpg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been buying shoes for myself lately, but while we were discussing the black shell Aldens the other day I had a look on Ebay and these Florsheim PTBs were just too tempting. Vcleat says this says the 92650 is a rare model and the auction was about to end with no bids showing, so why not. Only one other bidder showed up in the end, so $71 took it. This is right out the box and they are in great condition, no overhaul needed.
A9CA1684-A3FC-4954-82C3-F07B5D7F0CE9_1_201_a.jpeg

I don't gamble, but the feeling of being the only bidder at the end of an auction for shell gives a bit of an adrenaline rush, so I can understand how some people might really get in trouble with slots or whatever. These are code CF, so either 1985 or 1995 vintage.
ED58E3C6-04B6-44DF-88F8-A34F062437B4_1_201_a.jpeg

My black shell AE Leeds are about the same as these shoes, but I like shell PTBs. And these have solid original soles that somebody already did the heel replacement on, so they're good to go.
FAE04933-7892-4E85-8D64-013BAAE0A042_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't been buying shoes for myself lately, but while we were discussing the black shell Aldens the other day I had a look on Ebay and these Florsheim PTBs were just too tempting. Vcleat says this says the 92650 is a rare model and the auction was about to end with no bids showing, so why not. Only one other bidder showed up in the end, so $71 took it. This is right out the box and they are in great condition, no overhaul needed.
View attachment 1820620
I don't gamble, but the feeling of being the only bidder at the end of an auction for shell gives a bit of an adrenaline rush, so I can understand how some people might really get in trouble with slots or whatever. These are code CF, so either 1985 or 1995 vintage.
View attachment 1820621
I have some black shell AE Leeds PTBs that are about the same as these shoes, but I like shell PTBs. And these have solid original soles and somebody already did the heel replacement, so they're good to go.
View attachment 1820630

Super pickup. Yet another shoe I would love but not made in my width.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads