• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, I meant to include it in my last post. Here it is.

Thanks. This is very interesting to me. I know Jim McFarland runs his own shop:

But he is also the lead cobbler for Kirby Allison's inhouse shoe rebuild program. It's clear Jim is also part of this company/website.

I don't know about the other cobblers on the team, so no comment. From all accounts, especially pics, Jim McFarland is one of the best. Also a great guy to deal with. He was one of the judges for the shoe revival competition I organize.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. Definitely if money wasn’t an object I’d love to add a Goodyear welt with leather soles and a stacked leather heel. I imagine that’s a several hundred dollar job though. And I don’t know if I could justify that right now. Maybe for now I can just add new heels. Definitely open to suggestions for cobblers though, I know of some of the popular internet ones like Bedos. I live in AZ if that matters.

If the soles don't have soft spots, I would recommend a rubber sole protector over it. This upgrade will extend the life of the soles a bit more and add some grip.

@friendlygoz has installed his own rubber sole protectors, so perhaps you can chat with him about the options and process.

MathMan314

Reaction score
Thanks. This is very interesting to me. I know Jim McFarland runs his own shop:

But he is also the lead cobbler for Kirby Allison's inhouse shoe rebuild program. It's clear Jim is also part of this company/website.

I don't know about the other cobblers on the team, so no comment. From all accounts, especially pics, Jim McFarland is one of the best. Also a great guy to deal with. He was one of the judges for the shoe revival competition I organize.
It was looking into Jim McFarland's services that led me to this website a while back. The fact that he is involved, at least in some capacity, makes me feel that they will do good work. Jim seems like a great guy who is a master of his craft. I didn't realize he was a judge for the shoe revival competition!

MathMan314

Reaction score
If the soles don't have soft spots, I would recommend a rubber sole protector over it. This upgrade will extend the life of the soles a bit more and add some grip.

@friendlygoz has installed his own rubber sole protectors, so perhaps you can chat with him about the options and process.
Good idea!
There are a lot of rubber protective half soles on eBay, such as these. Or if you want something thicker you could go with a Goodyear Neolite sole protector.

Here is Part 1 of a 3 part video set that shows how to DIY a sole protector. He has a lot of other videos documenting the process on his Youtube channel as well.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best cobbler is Minas cobbler in NYC. They take Mail in orders. My family has used them for 20 years.

I've gotten several resoles and toe taps recently from them with great results always.

Last edited:

heathenist

Reaction score
Good idea!
There are a lot of rubber protective half soles on eBay, such as these. Or if you want something thicker you could go with a Goodyear Neolite sole protector.

Here is Part 1 of a 3 part video set that shows how to DIY a sole protector. He has a lot of other videos documenting the process on his Youtube channel as well.
I was already considering doing this, and I’ve definitely watched those videos before. Really like that guy’s channel. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. The soles are fine for now, it’s the heels that are the problem. I just figured if I was gonna need to have the heels replaced it might make sense to just get an entire resole with something nicer while I’m at it since I’m not in love with the hard man made soles on them now.

Thanks for all the advice!

MathMan314

Reaction score
I was already considering doing this, and I’ve definitely watched those videos before. Really like that guy’s channel. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. The soles are fine for now, it’s the heels that are the problem. I just figured if I was gonna need to have the heels replaced it might make sense to just get an entire resole with something nicer while I’m at it since I’m not in love with the hard man made soles on them now.

Thanks for all the advice!
I see, that makes sense. Here is a thought: if you just opt for new heels this time, then the new heels and the current soles will probably wear out at about the same time, which would be the perfect time for a full resole! But I understand wanting to replace the hard synthetic sole sooner rather than later too.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy 4th of July.
Aristocraft, beer, grill.
4AA452DC-DA8A-48E1-9C61-0431F3849A41.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t get to wear these very often. Since the office was closed yesterday, I decided to wear them today! AE 1776 in red, white, and blue.

ED1F1D51-6F8E-4689-BEC8-E8CA5CA5430C.jpeg
67D3F359-D890-42E7-B8BE-F76A49511A36.jpeg

happypebble

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads