• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

heathenist

Reaction score
I'd go by what the ad said and if the jar had 'cordovan' pictured on the lid. I think the polish has 'creme 1925' on the lid. Rereading your description above, sound like they mixed terms. Their mistake.
I had one of the well known eBay sellers send me the wrong stuff and they exchanged it.
Well the pictures were of the item I received, but the title made it out to be polish for shell cordovan, I was just too ignorant to be able to tell from the photos that it isn’t the stuff actually made for shell.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So having recently acquired some shell shoes, I decided to get some of the cordovan polish from saphir. Ordered some from eBay, the listing was titled “Saphir Medaille D'or Creme Cordovan Shoe Polish, 75 ml, 37 Medium Brown” from a seller who seems to sell lots of shoe care items.
Not knowing the entire saphir product line, I assumed this was a medium brown polish designed for cordovan shoes, but it isn’t, it’s their regular medium brown polish.

Who is at fault here? Seller for improperly titling the listing or me for not knowing the product line well enough? Should I request a return? Further, is this stuff okay to use on shell or should I buy the right stuff?

I can always use this on other brown shoes, but I wouldn’t have spent nearly $30 on it if I had known it wasn’t the polish specifically designed for shell.

In general, shell shoes do not require polish, but some makers do develop colored creme products for shell cordovan. Allen Edmonds, for example, has a selection of products they recommend for shell. Link. I never found it to be required or useful, but it is certainly cheaper than Saphir. It is always an area for potential confusion since cordovan is a type of leather AND a color. This results in problems you are encountering. I personally only use color on shell if there is a real problem that cannot be resolved with brushing. I do recommend Collinil 1909 in neutral. Link. Only a tiny amount is needed for a shoe and it does not affect the underlying color. Plus, it creates a nice shine when the tiny amount drys and is buffed off.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1985 Allen Edmonds Polo with a kudu saddle.

69A11AA9-E574-4A47-B49A-8A29C0D80518.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So having recently acquired some shell shoes, I decided to get some of the cordovan polish from saphir. Ordered some from eBay, the listing was titled “Saphir Medaille D'or Creme Cordovan Shoe Polish, 75 ml, 37 Medium Brown” from a seller who seems to sell lots of shoe care items.
Not knowing the entire saphir product line, I assumed this was a medium brown polish designed for cordovan shoes, but it isn’t, it’s their regular medium brown polish.

Who is at fault here? Seller for improperly titling the listing or me for not knowing the product line well enough? Should I request a return? Further, is this stuff okay to use on shell or should I buy the right stuff?

I can always use this on other brown shoes, but I wouldn’t have spent nearly $30 on it if I had known it wasn’t the polish specifically designed for shell.
I would request a refund. Try Pure Polish. Their cream polish works for both calf and cordovan. The patina artists on Facebook swear by it. I’ve used some of their products and they are fantastic. Same price if not cheaper than Saphir.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday, while wearing my old school Hanover PTBs, I went to my old school barber. George is about 80 and runs a one man barber shop. He likes things the way they were. No multiple screen TVs showing sports. No array of hot girls wearing umpire uniform tops and black short, shorts. Old floor to ceiling paneling, his old uniform pressed and on a hanger. Several bottles of various brown liquids intended for internal consumption and a stack of Playboys if you need to wait. Old school. He gives a good haircut.

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

happypebble

Reaction score
So the wife and I were out at the strip mall; she was busy in a fabric store, which is a foreign language to me, so to kill time while she was finding craft stuff I walked down a couple spaces to the DSW shoe store, which was kind of an eye opener. Cringey shoes made in Vietnam, China, India, Brazil--Rockport, Steve Madden, Cole Haan, Chinese made Florsheim. Florsheim belts marked "BONDED LEATHER." All of it lightweight and cheap feeling as could be. Disposable. $90, $100, $120 for this? Wow. I thought back to the quality of my USA made vintage pairs and got the hell out of there.

happypebble

Reaction score
Oh, and happy Canada Day/Independence Day to all here. Take advantage of the long weekend.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I were out at the strip mall; she was busy in a fabric store, which is a foreign language to me, so to kill time while she was finding craft stuff I walked down a couple spaces to the DSW shoe store, which was kind of an eye opener. Cringey shoes made in Vietnam, China, India, Brazil--Rockport, Steve Madden, Cole Haan, Chinese made Florsheim. Florsheim belts marked "BONDED LEATHER." All of it lightweight and cheap feeling as could be. Disposable. $90, $100, $120 for this? Wow. I thought back to the quality of my USA made vintage pairs and got the hell out of there.

Isn't it sad?

Rockport has gone especially down hill from "reasonable low-end non gyw shoes" to abominations.

It saddens me deeply that this is what shoes have come to.

heathenist

Reaction score
Not dress shoes, but vintage and dress shoe adjacent maybe.
I have what I think are Mason Velvet-Eez Chelsea boots that I really love. Found them a few years ago and despite not being super high end shoes, are some of my favorites. I love the patina, they fit like a glove, easy on and off, etc. the down side is the cheap construction and man-made soles.

I stupidly wore through the top lift into the heel. Which means I might need to get new heels put on. But I was wondering if it’s possible to resole these since they don’t appear to be stitch welted?
B0805625-8B04-42AB-AE5B-ACEAB542FF81.jpeg
64B236D4-BEF9-42E5-A6F4-6D393E0EFEFE.jpeg
EDE8E5BE-A760-4CAE-852D-C334DC7AE0E7.jpeg

MathMan314

Reaction score
I have what I think are Mason Velvet-Eez Chelsea boots that I really love. Found them a few years ago and despite not being super high end shoes, are some of my favorites. I love the patina, they fit like a glove, easy on and off, etc. the down side is the cheap construction and man-made soles.

I stupidly wore through the top lift into the heel. Which means I might need to get new heels put on. But I was wondering if it’s possible to resole these since they don’t appear to be stitch welted? View attachment 1808694 View attachment 1808695 View attachment 1808696
Nice looking pair of boots. I think they could be resoled without much trouble. I'd guess that most people in the shoe repair business these days work on non-stitched shoes quite often.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stupidly wore through the top lift into the heel. Which means I might need to get new heels put on. But I was wondering if it’s possible to resole these since they don’t appear to be stitch welted? View attachment 1808694 View attachment 1808695 View attachment 1808696
Nice looking pair of boots. I think they could be resoled without much trouble. I'd guess that most people in the shoe repair business these days work on non-stitched shoes quite often.

I'm not a cobbler but I've had over 40 pairs of footwear rebuilt. Your favourite boots can definitely be rebuilt. In fact, if you want to spend the dough, you can ask the cobbler to add a Goodyear welt, or to convert them to Blake rapid stitch construction.

I would also consider doing this combo: house leather soles, and then a rubber sole protector for added grip and to increase durability on the leather.

A skilled cobbler can do the work. If you need recommendations, let us know.

heathenist

Reaction score
I'm not a cobbler but I've had over 40 pairs of footwear rebuilt. Your favourite boots can definitely be rebuilt. In fact, if you want to spend the dough, you can ask the cobbler to add a Goodyear welt, or to convert them to Blake rapid stitch construction.

I would also consider doing this combo: house leather soles, and then a rubber sole protector for added grip and to increase durability on the leather.

A skilled cobbler can do the work. If you need recommendations, let us know.
That’s good to hear. Definitely if money wasn’t an object I’d love to add a Goodyear welt with leather soles and a stacked leather heel. I imagine that’s a several hundred dollar job though. And I don’t know if I could justify that right now. Maybe for now I can just add new heels. Definitely open to suggestions for cobblers though, I know of some of the popular internet ones like Bedos. I live in AZ if that matters.

MathMan314

Reaction score
That’s good to hear. Definitely if money wasn’t an object I’d love to add a Goodyear welt with leather soles and a stacked leather heel. I imagine that’s a several hundred dollar job though. And I don’t know if I could justify that right now. Maybe for now I can just add new heels. Definitely open to suggestions for cobblers though, I know of some of the popular internet ones like Bedos. I live in AZ if that matters.
Do you have many (or any) local cobblers in your area with good reviews?

I don't have any experience with them, but there is a mail-in service called "The Cobblers". It looks like they have changed the site since I last looked, but I know last year they would do a house leather resole for $99 (and that covered shipping as well). I mention them because they have a video consultation service where you can video chat with a cobbler to discuss possibilities, get a quote, etc.

Has anyone here ever used "The Cobblers" for recrafting?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have many (or any) local cobblers in your area with good reviews?

I don't have any experience with them, but there is a mail-in service called "The Cobblers". It looks like they have changed the site since I last looked, but I know last year they would do a house leather resole for $99 (and that covered shipping as well). I mention them because they have a video consultation service where you can video chat with a cobbler to discuss possibilities, get a quote, etc.

Has anyone here ever used "The Cobblers" for recrafting?

Can you provide a link for them?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know any cobblers in AZ. I live in Canada and have used a few here.

If you're just doing heels, keep it local. Look at their work and ask a few questions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads