• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

memoriastoica

Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my near new 92604s, likely from 1971. I recently discovered I am a C width instead of D and let me tell you, what a revelation!

IMG-1867.jpg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering… what’s with presenting your specific model code for the Florsheim longwings? I think the v-clear searcher is a cool idea, but… it’s basically the same shoe for 30+ years. The earliest models were definitely nicer (better leather, more exacting manufacture), but you’ve got to really hold them in your hands to see the difference. I’ve also seen what looks to be people that own the same identical shoe, but from different model years. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just wondering… what’s with presenting your specific model code for the Florsheim longwings? I think the v-clear searcher is a cool idea, but… it’s basically the same shoe for 30+ years. The earliest models were definitely nicer (better leather, more exacting manufacture), but you’ve got to really hold them in your hands to see the difference. I’ve also seen what looks to be people that own the same identical shoe, but from different model years. Can someone explain that to me? Thanks.

Oh, I think there are many different reasons. Some people, such as myself, will find an initial pair that was used and then later tumble across a great deal on a NOS or nearly NOS pair. Trigger pulled and then we have several pairs of nearly identical shoes. Other people, not me, are "completionists." They will start a collection and are driven to have every version of it. This is why some guys have every version of Luke Skywalker ever produced. There are also people, like me, who will collect extra copies of the same Florsheim shoe to use as the basis for alterations or customizations. For example, these are stock Florsheim black 92604.

IMG_1541 2.JPG

I bought a second pair and had them changed to a different edge and welt stitch color.

IMG_1476 2.jpg

For me, the brown is the most versatile. These are my standard 93602s.

IMG_1730.jpg

This is also the same brown Florsheim that has been stripped and then dyed to match the Chestnut color of the 93639 model that they did not make in my size.

IMG_1731 2.jpg

This is also a pair of the same brown Florsheims that I stripped and dyed to match the Golden Harvest color of the 93631. Again, not made in my size. After the dye job I sent them out for the new welt stitch color and the new sole.

IMG_1633 2.jpg

Finally, some guys buy shoes with the Poke-man motto of "Got to catch them all."

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I think there are many different reasons. Some people, such as myself, will find an initial pair that was used and then later tumble across a great deal on a NOS or nearly NOS pair. Trigger pulled and then we have several pairs of nearly identical shoes. Other people, not me, are "completionists." They will start a collection and are driven to have every version of it. This is why some guys have every version of Luke Skywalker ever produced. There are also people, like me, who will collect extra copies of the same Florsheim shoe to use as the basis for alterations or customizations. For example, these are stock Florsheim black 92604.

View attachment 1794147

I bought a second pair and had them changed to a different edge color and welt stitch.

View attachment 1794148

For me, the brown is the most versatile. These are my standard 93602s.

View attachment 1794149

This is also the same brown Florsheim that has been stripped and then dyed to match the Chestnut color of the 93639 model that they did not make in my size.

View attachment 1794151

This is also a pair of the same brown Florsheims that I stripped and dyed to match the Golden Harvest color of the 93631. Again, not made in my size. After the dye job I sent them out for the new welt stitch color and the new sole.

View attachment 1794155

Finally, some guys buy shows with the Poke-man motto of "Got to catch them all."
Good typology of shoe collectors.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early 1990s Florsheim Royal Imperial PTBs.

A4106251-2A0B-4061-AC6B-EF73C120DD9A.jpeg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, have you noticed on the recent poll for summer shoes that spectators are not on the list of choices? This is an outrage! Please join me in contacting admin to make this addition. Enjoy the day!

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good typology of shoe collectors.
Well, not really “shoe collectors”, who generally collect different models, styles and makers. I guess this is what “vintage shoes” has become. No more (or Very few) unique and true vintage (pre 1960) pairs left there, so it seems “vintage shoes” is becoming “Florsheim longwing”, as that particular model seems to be the focus here. I do love that shoe model, but I like variety as well.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, not really “shoe collectors”, who generally collect different models, styles and makers. I guess this is what “vintage shoes” has become. No more (or Very few) unique and true vintage (pre 1960) pairs left there, so it seems “vintage shoes” is becoming “Florsheim longwing”, as that particular model seems to be the focus here. I do love that shoe model, but I like variety as well.

I wish I could broaden my collection beyond the Florsheim long wing. I have a few, but the availability of EEE makes it very slim pickings.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you ever wished you could set up your own little cobblers stool and pound on shoes? Well, then YOU are in luck. The set includes the stand that can be affixed to the floor and four different sized shoe inserts to hold them in place while you bang on a new heel. Not my listing, link. All yours for under $40, including shipping.

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 1.33.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 1.33.49 PM.png

Quantum17

Reaction score
It’s shoe o'clock on a Saturday
The forum crowd shuffles in
There's an old shoe sittin' next to me
Makin' love to his Saphir and wax

He says, "Son can you play me a memory?
I'm not really sure how it goes
But it's phat and it's sweet and I knew it complete
When I were a younger man's shoes"

La, la-la, di-di-da
La-la di-di-da da-dum
Sing us a song, you're the old shoes man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright

Presenting 50s Uwing two tone Thom McAn. They traveled North then traveled South. Thank you @Jiqea
DD67FE4D-7468-422F-A8B1-FA5F71B2E3A7.jpeg
ACA7118D-B172-4691-9DD3-B9443FF83F25.jpeg
BF84B305-3070-4050-97C8-F78E1B27FD0C.jpeg
E2B74631-FF0E-47AC-887D-CD53B8873BE2.jpeg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could broaden my collection beyond the Florsheim long wing. I have a few, but the availability of EEE makes it very slim pickings.
What’s your shoe size? A lot of the older ones are very hard to find, but there are some really cool ones out there.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not Wednesday, sorry not sorry.
First time in the wild with these, feels pretty good.
My feet are broad at the forefoot, narrow at the heel and have a low instep.
This is why I think all that creasing and rippling is showing up - how weird does that seem to the gathered flock? Keeping in mind that I live in a place and move in circles that has/have no awareness of vintage shoes.

Attachments

• 5D2B431D-729D-4DBF-9EE9-2FF1FE5D570E.jpeg
    5D2B431D-729D-4DBF-9EE9-2FF1FE5D570E.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 28

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What’s your shoe size? A lot of the older ones are very hard to find, but there are some really cool ones out there.

I wear 11.5 to 12EEE, depending on the brand. So far it seems choices are really limited to Florsheim and Hanover.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s shoe o'clock on a Saturday
The forum crowd shuffles in
There's an old shoe sittin' next to me
Makin' love to his Saphir and wax

He says, "Son can you play me a memory?
I'm not really sure how it goes
But it's phat and it's sweet and I knew it complete
When I were a younger man's shoes"

La, la-la, di-di-da
La-la di-di-da da-dum
Sing us a song, you're the old shoes man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright

Presenting 50s Uwing two tone Thom McAn. They traveled North then traveled South. Thank you @Jiqea View attachment 1794479 View attachment 1794480 View attachment 1794481 View attachment 1794482
Awesome pair of shoes. But, be VERY careful with the leather strips at the side of the toebox. That area has a HUGE tendency to take bad creases and cracks. Before you wear them, be sure to flex the **** out of that area. How it reacts to all that flexing will tell you if they will hold up over time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads