• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MathMan314

Reaction score
Also interesting how well the tassel loafers apparently sold according to this list. If I am not mistaken the Maxfield, Cody, and Grayson are all tassel loafers, ie. 6 of the top 25 sellers.
Agreed, that is interesting indeed. Come to think of it, though, I see those 3 models on eBay and Poshmark in abundance, so I can believe many were purchased.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a list of shoes I know that I wish for. A secret scavenger list. Well, there’s also a wish list for shoes I have yet known. That unknown list is long. I just don’t know what I don’t know, you know. But it brings me comfort to know that you know I know you know she knows I know you know I know at least something… Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.

Presenting AE Bancroft from 1983, the inauguration year for Bancroft and for “The hand crafted world of…” The model runs for some years, but only by MTO if I understand correctly. I am glad to finally found a pair my size. The scavenger list gets a pair shorter. The wonderful seller even included the AE trees from the 80s. I’m happy ?

View attachment 1744826 View attachment 1744827 View attachment 1744828
Alligator version of the Jodox with tassel laces! Wow,I’ve never seen those-super cool

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I made a list of shoes I know that I wish for. A secret scavenger list. Well, there’s also a wish list for shoes I have yet known. That unknown list is long. I just don’t know what I don’t know, you know. But it brings me comfort to know that you know I know you know she knows I know you know I know at least something… Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.

Presenting AE Bancroft from 1983, the inauguration year for Bancroft and for “The hand crafted world of…” The model runs for some years, but only by MTO if I understand correctly. I am glad to finally found a pair my size. The scavenger list gets a pair shorter. The wonderful seller even included the AE trees from the 80s. I’m happy ?

View attachment 1744826 View attachment 1744827 View attachment 1744828

WOW!! Just stunning. Congrats. Glad you found them because they will not come up again. Any idea what AE charged for the alligator in 1983?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meeting with accountant people this morning. It is snowing, but appearances and standards must be maintained even in inclement weather. Royal Tweed LWBs.

IMG_1390.jpg

happypebble

Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
And quite popular it definitely was for awhile - it stayed at the top of the best sellers list for a few years running. And it's casual counterpart, The Mapleton, also made the list. As Hillcrest began to fade they propped the bicycle toe back up with a model called the Warren - a softer treatment on the VIP rubber sole with Poron-cushioned footbed. That also did quite well but my recollection is it did not last quite as long. So I think the bike toe lasted almost a decade at AE.
View attachment 1744712
Still thinking about bike toe stuff here. So, it looks like Mapletons have a black rubber sole versus the standard AE leather sole on the Hillcrest. Does that make Mapleton more casual? And, does anybody have a pair of Mapletons where they can talk about the "baseball glove leather"? Interesting, even if it is all bike toe. Funny how fashions come and go.

Quantum17

Reaction score
WOW!! Just stunning. Congrats. Glad you found them because they will not come up again. Any idea what AE charged for the alligator in 1983?
I have no idea tbh. Now I’m curious. Hopefully the folks at AE will be helpful. Will report back ?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still thinking about bike toe stuff here. So, it looks like Mapletons have a black rubber sole versus the standard AE leather sole on the Hillcrest. Does that make Mapleton more casual? And, does anybody have a pair of Mapletons where they can talk about the "baseball glove leather"? Interesting, even if it is all bike toe. Funny how fashions come and go.

I have a pair and baseball glove leather is VERY accurate. Polish is not needed, just rub them down with Bick 4. The leather, eyelet grommets, contrast stitching on the vamp and rubber sole all make this a nice casual shoe. In no way are they dress shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no idea tbh. Now I’m curious. Hopefully the folks at AE will be helpful. Will report back ?

MTO alligator shoes from AE in 2004 were $2400. 20 years can make a big difference in price but they likely still pricey.

BAK

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.33.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 9.35.21 AM.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Violation: once the snow and ice comes to the upper midwest it’s hard to drive my vintage shoes in the salt,(plus wool socks won’t fit)-therefore today I’m flying the AE Patton in chromexcel. I love my Higgins Mill boot but the lack of a boot strap makes them hard to pull on(and hard for me to succeed in free enterprise) The Patton is a nice alternative and I love the CXL
51867969-1A53-476E-9CED-23544F270803.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Bit of a photobomb dump here... I picked up a new (old) pair of longwings and decided to take some group shots. As I may have mentioned in the past, I have been tightening up my longwing collection. This constitutes my entire current collection of longwings. Thought some of you guys might enjoy seeing comparative shots from similar perspectives.

Clockwise from the top left of the group shots.

1. French Shriner in black grain calf from, I think, the early 60s.
2. British Walkers custom dye job by me. From the 80s, probably. Not amazing shoes but sentimental value since they were the 1st pair I dyed.
3. 93602s
4. Nettletons in shell cordovan
5. 93605s
6. Macneils in black shell cordovan from the early 90s

Much like @smfdoc, I have been looking to pickup more pairs of 93602s for dye projects but, oddly, I have had a lot of difficultly finding more pairs in my preferred size.

IMG_3438.jpg
IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg
IMG_3449.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3445.jpg
IMG_3446.jpg
IMG_3447.jpg
IMG_3444.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3442.jpg
IMG_3439.jpg
IMG_3440.jpg
IMG_3441.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads