• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Correct about thrift stores. Selection varies by city. Vegas thrift stores are in love with hideous black square toed abominations. As for Wisconsin, I grew up in Minnesota but spent a good deal of time in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, and you are right, local products were always preferred. When in an Eau Claire bar for Friday night fish fry, the beer of choice was Walter's ("The Beer That Is Beer") from Eau Claire, Point Special Lager from Stevens Point, or the "green death," LaCrosse's Heileman's Special Export.

My dad drank Special Export. Heilemans folded at around the same time he stopped drinking. Coincidence?

My buddies used to complain about Minnesota beer when we went across the river.

There were also things like Fox Deluxe (blech), Point (from Stevens Point) and Leinenkugels. These days many Wisconsin natives are loyal to New Glarus brews.

The big Milwaukee brewers converted their product into watery swill and didn’t have the advertising chops or budgets to convince people it was something else. As a result, the Pabst plant is a lame hipster theme park & the Schlitz plant has been converted into an office park. Miller is still going and still spewing its perfume over the Menominee valley.

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
@smfdoc

Is this chestnutty? I think it is a versatile color.

IMG_20220127_125609670_HDR.jpg

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad drank Special Export. Heilemans folded at around the same time he stopped drinking. Coincidence?

My buddies used to complain about Minnesota beer when we went across the river.

There were also things like Fox Deluxe (blech), Point (from Stevens Point) and Leinenkugels. These days many Wisconsin natives are loyal to New Glarus brews.

The big Milwaukee brewers converted their product into watery swill and didn’t have the advertising chops or budgets to convince people it was something else. As a result, the Pabst plant is a lame hipster theme park & the Schlitz plant has been converted into an office park. Miller is still going and still spewing its perfume over the Menominee valley.
When in Milwaukee nowadays many new small breweries are popping up-many of them good. One of the best is one of the earliest local microbrewers,Lakefront Brewery. Everything they do is solid. Now back to vintage shoe programming: the Golden Harvest fan favorite
9F558129-BC13-43A9-BF31-B8F9CAD69062.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BAK

Reaction score
Introduced in fall 2001-not the best of times. I was never fond of the bicycle toe but that was it’s era of popularity View attachment 1744302
And quite popular it definitely was for awhile - it stayed at the top of the best sellers list for a few years running. And it's casual counterpart, The Mapleton, also made the list. As Hillcrest began to fade they propped the bicycle toe back up with a model called the Warren - a softer treatment on the VIP rubber sole with Poron-cushioned footbed. That also did quite well but my recollection is it did not last quite as long. So I think the bike toe lasted almost a decade at AE.
Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 6.15.30 PM.png

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nettleton alligator loafers.

I have the same style in a pair of Foot-Joys, as well, but they’ve seen a bit more duty than these, so I tend to wear them less. I’m guessing that 5 pairs of alligator shoes is adequate…until that sixth pair magically appears on eBay.

89B96570-8E96-4C1D-B331-67FE3E0210C8.jpeg

8533D685-DA81-4E6E-A0E6-A88CC47226E2.jpeg

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Alden tassels are shell, actually. I can't tell whether your pair's tassels are shell from the pics but you're stressing me out with the deconstruction! That looks like a nice pair. Curious what you find.
I had a pair of cigar shell Alden tassels that seemed to have calfskin tassel, etc but I have never confirmed. Sorry to stress you out. The insole and lining were not in good condition if that helps. The shell is fantastic though!
6EAC24A9-B08E-4402-9F70-05BA783B7542.jpeg
DF44DBD9-B983-4BA3-8C4D-F04FFFDD0249.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@smfdoc

Is this chestnutty? I think it is a versatile color.

View attachment 1744680

Looks it to me. I think the pair being sent to me are a little bit more brown with red tones. Your pair appears to be a little redder, but this is from memory and not a side-by-side comparison at the end of all of this, you have a great looking pair of shoes and I can see why you find them to be versatile. If you’re the one who died them that color I think you did a good job.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
And quite popular it definitely was for awhile - it stayed at the top of the best sellers list for a few years running. And it's casual counterpart, The Mapleton, also made the list. As Hillcrest began to fade they propped the bicycle toe back up with a model called the Warren - a softer treatment on the VIP rubber sole with Poron-cushioned footbed. That also did quite well but my recollection is it did not last quite as long. So I think the bike toe lasted almost a decade at AE.
View attachment 1744712

Also interesting how well the tassel loafers apparently sold according to this list. If I am not mistaken the Maxfield, Cody, and Grayson are all tassel loafers, ie. 6 of the top 25 sellers.

Quantum17

Reaction score
I made a list of shoes I know that I wish for. A secret scavenger list. Well, there’s also a wish list for shoes I have yet known. That unknown list is long. I just don’t know what I don’t know, you know. But it brings me comfort to know that you know I know you know she knows I know you know I know at least something… Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.

Presenting AE Bancroft from 1983, the early year for Bancroft and for “The handcrafted world of…” The model runs for some years, but only by MTO if I understand correctly. I am glad to finally found a pair my size. The scavenger list gets a pair shorter. The wonderful seller even included the AE trees from the 80s. I’m happy ?

Edit: the inaugurating year for Bancroft and “The handcrafted world of…” was 1982, not 1983.

0714F7DA-4E60-4D41-8663-1EF1006EDAC3.jpeg
7DE721E3-EA4A-4CA3-A06B-29C4D08CD2A2.jpeg
6E07CF86-D080-40AB-A780-1C0B8EF34781.jpeg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I made a list of shoes I know that I wish for. A secret scavenger list. Well, there’s also a wish list for shoes I have yet known. That unknown list is long. I just don’t know what I don’t know, you know. But it brings me comfort to know that you know I know you know she knows I know you know I know at least something… Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.

Presenting AE Bancroft from 1983, the inauguration year for Bancroft and for “The hand crafted world of…” The model runs for some years, but only by MTO if I understand correctly. I am glad to finally found a pair my size. The scavenger list gets a pair shorter. The wonderful seller even included the AE trees from the 80s. I’m happy ?

View attachment 1744826 View attachment 1744827 View attachment 1744828

I'm glad you got that pair! I figured they would be too narrow for you.

Quantum17

Reaction score
I'm glad you got that pair! I figured they would be too narrow for you.
It’s definitely narrow, but luckily still work. I’m so glad ? I’ve been looking for awhile. Start losing hope, then suddenly BAM ? an alert popped up… the lesson here is avoid having a wishlist to begin with. It’ll probably give us anxiety ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads