• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
With that color and contrasting welt stitching, I’d put them around 1960.

Very cool -- thank you sir! I had a feeling they were older than they seemed. The welt stitching and fudging isn't well photographed but seemed more well executed than newer Nettletons that I have. Will post more pics when they land.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since several of us are coming out to admit questionable shoe choices in the past, I can also admit to having several pairs of bicycle toe shoes. Both pairs are from Allen Edmonds and I still own the darker pair. The first pair may even have been Hillcrests, but I am not sure. Their fit is typical of AE shoes for my feet in that they do not close well. The pair I still have are called Mapletons and have a comfy rubber sole and the leather is called saddle leather, which feels thick and like a baseball glove. It is a beater shoe that I occasionally put on. They were kept because they actually do close well.

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything Can Happen Thursday Vol 2:

NEW OLD STOCK Footjoy Tassel Loafers.

Someone kindly saved the box, the FJ branded Bags, the box and even the little tassel keeper rubber bands. What a great color!

9007ED41-F29E-410F-BCEE-D42BCB4B662E.jpeg
9CB07649-3E32-42D2-BF44-3A300E6F4F24.jpeg
373C73B2-2AFC-4580-899F-89141E3CE5B2.jpeg

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct about thrift stores. Selection varies by city. Vegas thrift stores are in love with hideous black square toed abominations. As for Wisconsin, I grew up in Minnesota but spent a good deal of time in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, and you are right, local products were always preferred. When in an Eau Claire bar for Friday night fish fry, the beer of choice was Walter's ("The Beer That Is Beer") from Eau Claire, Point Special Lager from Stevens Point, or the "green death," LaCrosse's Heileman's Special Export.
Walter’s—that’s going back old school,by the time I could sneak into bars I couldn’t find it anymore. I’m originally from Rockford,Illinois,20 miles south of Beloit Wisconsin and my grandfather’s beer was the nearest brewery-Huber in Monroe,WI (“since 1848,born with the state”). Little breweries all over Wisconsin until Heilman of LaCrosse bought out alot of them in the late 70’s. The age of the craft brewery etc has brought back so much local brewing heritage.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since several of us are coming out to admit questionable shoe choices in the past, I can also admit to having several pairs of bicycle toe shoes. Both pairs are from Allen Edmonds and I still own the darker pair. The first pair may even have been Hillcrests, but I am not sure. Their fit is typical of AE shoes for my feet in that they do not close well. The pair I still have are called Mapletons and have a comfy rubber sole and the leather is called saddle leather, which feels thick and like a baseball glove. It is a beater shoe that I occasionally put on. They were kept because they actually do close well.

View attachment 1744462

View attachment 1744463

One time, I saw that this was on stupid sale before I got into shoes, and I was like: Well, let me see it in person, and maybe it would look cool!

I thank God that I realized how atrociously DISGUSTING these shoes are.

The colour on the bottom pair is not bad, by the way, but bicycle toes :|

happypebble

Reaction score
Walter’s—that’s going back old school,by the time I could sneak into bars I couldn’t find it anymore. I’m originally from Rockford,Illinois,20 miles south of Beloit Wisconsin and my grandfather’s beer was the nearest brewery-Huber in Monroe,WI (“since 1848,born with the state”). Little breweries all over Wisconsin until Heilman of LaCrosse bought out alot of them in the late 70’s. The age of the craft brewery etc has brought so much local brewing heritage.
Oh! I forgot all about Huber Bock. Used to buy it in cases of glass bottles.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also caught in the thrift nets:
View attachment 1744411 View attachment 1744412
Vintage Nunn Bush “Flexible Fetherwate” Venetian loafers. I’m thinking late 60s or early 70s on these, but wondering what others think.
View attachment 1744421
I’d guess early 60’s—the logos and “ankle fashioned” is the same as a pair of shell shortwings I have from the 1954 catalog but the “flexible fetherwate” with picture of bending shoe seems like late 50’s-early 60’s marketing

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d guess early 60’s—the logos and “ankle fashioned” is the same as a pair of shell shortwings I have from the 1954 catalog but the “flexible fetherwate” with picture of bending shoe seems like late 50’s-early 60’s marketing
Thanks for the info. Any markings on the inside are long gone and they appear to be resoled, so it’s probably going to be largely guesswork.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot all about Huber Bock. Used to buy it in cases of glass bottles.
My grandfather drank the Huber lager,which was a fine beer for the backyard but Huber Bock was a legitimately good beer at a very reasonable price-especially in returnable cases

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MathMan314

Reaction score
After seeing some nice bicycle toe shoes posted by you guys today, I am starting to think the style isn't as terrible as people say it is. I'm almost tempted to look for something like the Mapleton or Hillcrest for my collection.

I have a questionable pair of '08 Florsheim Imperial Barringtons with a pretty squared toe. I beleive there was a bicycle toe version of this model as well. Not my favorites in appearance, but I still wear them fairly often because they are very comfortable.
20220127_163055.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, we have all made unfortunate shoe choices in the past. I will share my confession as well.

Growing up I didn’t much care for dress shoes other than I figured out decent quality penny loafers could be dressed up or down and I could get away with wearing them for lots of different occasions. So, I had well made real leather penny loafers as long as I can remember.

But, in the 90’s and early 2000’s I relented to peer fashion pressure and wore those awful square toe rubber sole shoes that everyone had. They were Kenneth Cole. And I bought a few pair of Cole Haan when they were on sale at Dillard’s.

The Kenneth Cole monstrosities kept splitting. The sole would crack in half. When I returned a third pair, the salesman at Dillard’s suggested that I try a pair of Johnston Murphy Melton Cap Toe. I was pretty irate about the 3rd pair if Kenneth Cole breaking so they gave me a pretty good discount on the J&M. Once I discovered them, I realized paying a little more for dress shoes could make sense.

It took me a couple years to realize the CG that the Johnston Murphy and Cole Haan were made of was leaving something to be desired.

Then, I saw a pair of Allen Edmonds at a thrift store. I bought them, and I was hooked. When I found my first pair of vintage 93602, I knew I had finally found shoe nirvana and I looked back at all the crap shoes I bought and I laughed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics