• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
My first dress shoes was a pair late 1990s black Florsheim bike toes. I thought they were pretty money back then.

it’s funny because this is a style I only associate with the mid-90s through the mid-2000s. Was it ever popular before that? Square toe shoes were a thing in the late 70s and early 80s and then again in the early 2000s. But the bike toe… it i don’t think it made a reappearance; this was their only appearance. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Don't forget the mega-pointy toe dress shoes for men too...also 1990s into early 2000s (what a great period for men's shoes...). Like clownishly long and super pointy...sometimes with upturned toe also. Yikes. This was so in fashion that I even tried it...despite me having a 10.5/11 EE Brannock...not a smart choice in many ways!

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I once had a guy on another thread try to refute my assertion that thrifting is largely influenced by the region and economics of the location. I had observed that I could find a lot of AE shoes in good condition because I was in Milwaukee. Not only is AE a local company here,but the population is loyal to local businesses and as a mainly (historically) blue collar city,most of the dress shoe purchases were for occasions rather than work. Therefore they aren’t worn out and the thrifty midwesterners kept them in the boxes with shoe trees as they were an expensive purchase

I can second this. I grew up in Wisconsin. Good shoes meant AE. Florsheim? Never heard of ’em. We wore Wigwam socks, too, wrote with Parker pens and drank beer from Milwaukee & LaCrosse — never Bud!

I can also say that i have had an easier time thrifting large shoes out there, especially towards central and Western Wisconsin.

So yeah, what you find in thrift stores very much depends on where you are.

Shrewboy

Reaction score
Hi guys. Anyone familiar with Allen Edmonds' "Hillcrest" model? Know when it was made? Anyone have a pair? The one I see on eBay is a bicycle toe. Like? Hate? #Curious
I also had a pair in the early 2000s. I wore them for a number of years and loved them. I would still have and wear them if I had not moved up in width. I’d thought of picking up another pair recently. I read all of the negative opinions on the internet about bicycle toes and paused. I don’t see that pause being too long.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't forget the mega-pointy toe dress shoes for men too...also 1990s into early 2000s (what a great period for men's shoes...). Like clownishly long and super pointy...sometimes with upturned toe also. Yikes. This was so in fashion that I even tried it...despite me having a 10.5/11 EE Brannock...not a smart choice in many ways!

The great thing about the really pointy toe shoes is that you can still kill bugs in the corner of the room.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Introduced in fall 2001-not the best of times. I was never fond of the bicycle toe but that was it’s era of popularity View attachment 1744302
I thought I wasn't a bicycle toe fan but then got a Footjoy version. It is a great shoe and I wear it often. I've considered the AE version in chestnut but have not purchased.

65637343301__103602D5-44D7-4CB9-9407-6167639D21D4.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't say I'm a huge bicycle toe fan. When I first bought them in 2008, I didn't have any knowledge about styles, quality, fit, etc.

These were bought because of the brand alone. And maybe colour.

I keep them because it reminds me of my entry into adulthood and it gives a smidge of diversity in my otherwise mostly LWB and PTB collection.

happypebble

Reaction score
I can second this. I grew up in Wisconsin. Good shoes meant AE. Florsheim? Never heard of ’em. We wore Wigwam socks, too, wrote with Parker pens and drank beer from Milwaukee & LaCrosse — never Bud!

I can also say that i have had an easier time thrifting large shoes out there, especially towards central and Western Wisconsin.

So yeah, what you find in thrift stores very much depends on where you are.
Correct about thrift stores. Selection varies by city. Vegas thrift stores are in love with hideous black square toed abominations. As for Wisconsin, I grew up in Minnesota but spent a good deal of time in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, and you are right, local products were always preferred. When in an Eau Claire bar for Friday night fish fry, the beer of choice was Walter's ("The Beer That Is Beer") from Eau Claire, Point Special Lager from Stevens Point, or the "green death," LaCrosse's Heileman's Special Export.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I wasn't a bicycle toe fan but then got a Footjoy version. It is a great shoe and I wear it often. I've considered the AE version in chestnut but have not purchased.

View attachment 1744396
As far as bicycle toe shoes go, that's by far one of the most successful versions to my eye - I could see myself wearing those. I'm an NST junkie, so that's probably why. I've pretty much hated every other version I've seen though, and never considered buying a pair.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Anyone have an ability to date Nettleton shoes based upon the heel design? I just snagged a pair of Nettleton jodhpurs that I have been watching forever. I wasn't really intending to get them but made a relatively low offer that was accepted. Now I am curious how old they are...

My other pairs of nettletons have peg style cleats. This pair of boots has the single row / double row nails, which I am guessing might be older than the pegs?

From the style, I'd guess maybe 70s but the soles make me think they may be earlier... 60s? I don't have any pics of the lining, markings, insole, etc.

1643290603536.png

1643290673010.png

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: possible vintage violation, but pretty cool:

Check out these PTB in full quill ostrich skin.
ECC48A8F-6279-4894-AE6D-CA784D60D62B.jpeg

They are custom made by Der Dau Inc of Brooklyn New York. The company was started over 50 years ago by Mr. José Der and is still family owned to this day.

46BA8B75-5417-49E5-A88B-AAE5EB104030.jpeg

They appear to specialize in custom equestrian boots, however if you have a kickass name like Wolfgang, they will whip you up a kickass shoe as well.

218B5D1C-8CA4-4D4A-88BF-08CA33AC6E2C.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is a casual Thursday here at smfdoc, Inc.

IMG_1389.jpg

hamercha

Reaction score
My first dress shoes was a pair late 1990s black Florsheim bike toes. I thought they were pretty money back then.

it’s funny because this is a style I only associate with the mid-90s through the mid-2000s. Was it ever popular before that? Square toe shoes were a thing in the late 70s and early 80s and then again in the early 2000s. But the bike toe… it i don’t think it made a reappearance; this was their only appearance. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
You are not wrong. I remember square toe came around 2000. I have had couple of AE bicycle toe.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an ability to date Nettleton shoes based upon the heel design? I just snagged a pair of Nettleton jodhpurs that I have been watching forever. I wasn't really intending to get them but made a relatively low offer that was accepted. Now I am curious how old they are...

My other pairs of nettletons have peg style cleats. This pair of boots has the single row / double row nails, which I am guessing might be older than the pegs?

From the style, I'd guess maybe 70s but the soles make me think they may be earlier... 60s? I don't have any pics of the lining, markings, insole, etc.

View attachment 1744402

View attachment 1744403
With that color and contrasting welt stitching, I’d put them around 1960.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads