• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there was some chatter about this recently, but I’d like to ask a question about Florsheim Imperials vs Alden 975: do any of you wear same size and width in each? I wear Barrie in boots but have never made the effort to try in a shoe. (Might be the year.) Thanks.

I have both the 975 and the black 9751. Both fit very comfortably in 11EEE. I have had Florsheim Imperial LWBs in 11EEE and, frankly, I moved them on as they were just a little tight. I found that an 11.5EEE fit much better. As for the boots, I wear 11EEE in both Barrie shoes and boots and they fit me equally well. YMMV.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both the 975 and the black 9751. Both fit very comfortably in 11EEE. I have had Florsheim Imperial LWBs in 11EEE and, frankly, I moved them on as they were just a little tight. I found that an 11.5EEE fit much better. As for the boots, I wear 11EEE in both Barrie shoes and boots and they fit me equally well. YMMV.
Thanks, Doc. I feel like I can get away with more “error” in sizing with the boots. The Shoe Mart is a 3 hr drive from me and I have (more than once) thought about a mini road trip to try on some Barrie shoes in eee (I know I could just order and return, but…).

happypebble

Reaction score
Nothing real special about this pair; Florsheim 92604, pretty common around this thread but super comfy so they got the nod for vespers tonight. Earlier today I was in JC Penney and hit a slippery hard floor with the v cleats. Whee! Haven't skated in ages.
20220122_165446.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, Doc. I feel like I can get away with more “error” in sizing with the boots. The Shoe Mart is a 3 hr drive from me and I have (more than once) thought about a mini road trip to try on some Barrie shoes in eee (I know I could just order and return, but…).

Make the trip and also try some other lasts. TB, Grant and Hampton for sure.

giangiobomber

Reaction score
I think there was some chatter about this recently, but I’d like to ask a question about Florsheim Imperials vs Alden 975: do any of you wear same size and width in each? I wear Barrie in boots but have never made the effort to try in a shoe. (Might be the year.) Thanks.

i wear the same size in florshem imperials and alden 975.
however the florsheim is slightly narrower than the alden.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wear the same size in florshem imperials and alden 975.
however the florsheim is slightly narrower than the alden.

Agreed. That is why I bump up my Florsheim by 1/2 size. Technically I could just increase a width, but I would never find a non-standard EEEE width shoe.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I will disagree on the Florsheim sizing relative to Barrie -- I'd put this one into the YMMV category. In fact, I think folks generally just take their brannock on Florsheim, which is atypical of Barrie. Conventional wisdom on Barrie is a half size down from your brannock size.

My best sizes in Florsheim are a 10E or 9.5EEE but I can also wear some 10Ds depending upon the shoe. For Barrie, my best fit is a 9.5E but I can wear a 10D in a boot. My brannock size is a 10D/E.

_cameosis_

Reaction score
Not that there is much of a chance I'd ever drop that much money on a car. But if I do, I won't buy that brand.

My Honda Accord serves me just fine. Maybe I'll upgrade to a BMW 5 series in the future.
100% with you on this one. if you have a ****** attitude, you're not getting my money, only my sympathy.

many years ago, family business used to be a hotel with an upscale restaurant that was included in the michelin guide, because my father knows a thing or two about cooking.

we were close to a race venue (nürburgring), so team members from mclaren, alfa romeo, elf acquitaine, et al would be booked into our place, together with ferrari and porsche owners who would gather at the special events and meetings, all rallies and formula races during the season.

the vast majority were pleasant and nice people, but every once in a while you would have a sorry excuse for a person who would attempt to let you feel his imagined (social) superiority and be arrogant. reason? i was serving him as a waiter. ?
when they'd later learn that i was the junior boss and law student at the time, they would change their tune ... so pathetic.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I am really backlogged getting photos taken of some new acquisitions. I picked this pair up off of David's list recently for a serious bargain. Somehow, this is only my 2nd pair of Hanovers. I ended up reselling my 1st pair, which I bought as an NOS shell longwing. If my recollection serves, they were a 10E. They were *not* tagged as LB Sheppard and they were a bit newer than this pair. I could never seem to quite get along with the fit. They did fit correctly but they just weren't comfortable and I ended up deciding to let them go in favor of my 93605s and shell Nettleton longwings.

Which brings me to this pair... I kind of picked these up on a lark not necessarily expecting them to work out. To some extent, I think I was inspired by @smfdoc post comparing his PTBs a week or two ago and decided that I wanted to try out a pair of Hanovers. These are a 10.5C. Interestingly enough they seem to fit pretty well, although I've yet to try them with laces.

At some point, I will probably clean up the rolls a little bit but didn't feel like getting into that extensive of a restoration right now since I have been doing a ton of shoe work in the last week or so.

IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3419.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really backlogged getting photos taken of some new acquisitions. I picked this pair up off of David's list recently for a serious bargain. Somehow, this is only my 2nd pair of Hanovers. I ended up reselling my 1st pair, which I bought as an NOS shell longwing. If my recollection serves, they were a 10E. They were *not* tagged as LB Sheppard and they were a bit newer than this pair. I could never seem to quite get along with the fit. They did fit correctly but they just weren't comfortable and I ended up deciding to let them go in favor of my 93605s and shell Nettleton longwings.

Which brings me to this pair... I kind of picked these up on a lark not necessarily expecting them to work out. To some extent, I think I was inspired by @smfdoc post comparing his PTBs a week or two ago and decided that I wanted to try out a pair of Hanovers. These are a 10.5C. Interestingly enough they seem to fit pretty well, although I've yet to try them with laces.

At some point, I will probably clean up the rolls a little bit but didn't feel like getting into that extensive of a restoration right now since I have been doing a ton of shoe work in the last week or so.

View attachment 1742130 View attachment 1742131

This is a great pair.

I've come to accept that I don't need to be tied down by the size marked in the shoes. There's too much inconsistency across lasts, let alone the varying standards used by different brands.

I have boots and shoes in 8.5ee, 8.5eee, 9D, 9E, 9.5D, 9.5e, 9ee, and 9eee.

They all fit differently. Vintage Florsheim (92604, 93602, ans 99624) seem to fit me at 8.5eee.

Chippewa boots in 8.5ee are a perfect snug fit while Boulet boots in 8.5eee give me the perfect snug heel but a bit more room in toe box, which I don't mind at all.

With these experiences, I find it easier to find more pairs and add to the excitement. The "will these fit me" conundrum makes it more mysterious.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
This is a great pair.

I've come to accept that I don't need to be tied down by the size marked in the shoes. There's too much inconsistency across lasts, let alone the varying standards used by different brands.

I have boots and shoes in 8.5ee, 8.5eee, 9D, 9E, 9.5D, 9.5e, 9ee, and 9eee.

They all fit differently. Vintage Florsheim (92604, 93602, ans 99624) seem to fit me at 8.5eee.

Chippewa boots in 8.5ee are a perfect snug fit while Boulet boots in 8.5eee give me the perfect snug heel but a bit more room in toe box, which I don't mind at all.

With these experiences, I find it easier to find more pairs and add to the excitement. The "will these fit me" conundrum makes it more mysterious.

Thanks, yes I agree with this although there are limits, of course. I am not too sure if the hanover longwings and ptbs are on the same last but the feel is pretty different for sure even considering the size difference. I neglected to mention that I think these LB Sheppards are made a bit better than my other pair. The linings are softer and the precision on the welts and upper stitching seem somewhat better. Agree about sizing though...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oops, double post

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heads up. Looks like a NOS Florsheim Yuma in 10D is on auction here. I believe this is calf, not shell, but that is just by looking at it. Model number 15001. Check it out and make sure you know what it is before you bid. Assembled in USA, so likely late 90s.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.02.41 AM.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an interesting dilemma. I already have two pairs of brown Florsheim LWBs, one of which is NOS. So, the smart thing to do is buy another pair, right? These are from November 83. My original intention was to strip and dye them to look like the Forest model. But now that they are here, they are so soft and such a nice shade of brown that I really hate to mess with them. I guess time will tell and we will see what happens.

IMG_1376.jpg

The pair from my last strip and dye job to make the Golden Harvest were more of a basket case and it was easier to pull the trigger on the stripping. They really needed some help.

IMG_0175.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an interesting dilemma. I already have two pairs of brown Florsheim LWBs, one of which is NOS. So, the smart thing to do is buy another pair, right? These are from November 83. My original intention was to strip and dye them to look like the Forest model. But now that they are here, they are so soft and such a nice shade of brown that I really hate to mess with them. I guess time will tell and we will see what happens.

View attachment 1742260

The pair from my last strip and dye job to make the Golden Harvest were more of a basket case and it was easier to pull the trigger on the stripping. They really needed some help.

View attachment 1742270

I have a few pairs of brown LWBs that will be dyed to other colours.

One will become a midnight blue. A second will become purple. The third pair will become spectators.

Loake boots might become green.

If I get more tan/walnut coloured LWBs, then more colours will be added to the arsenal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads