• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding this topic about UV sanitizing shoes --- I totally get this from an "ick" perspective but have any of you guys ever gotten an infection of any kind from a vintage or pre-owned shoe? It's never happened to me and I can't say, honestly, that I am THAT fastidious about disinfecting. I am curious about these devices as well since the "ick" consideration does cross my mind from time to time especially for anything particularly gnarly looking (which I tend to just get rid of).

So anyway, with that said, anyone ever contract a skin infection? Genuinely curious.

Not I. But I'm pretty sure DFWII says that he got something nasty from a pair of shoes that someone abandoned.

Sometimes I get a bit lax if the shoe *looks* okay... but it's rolling the dice for sure. I think a UV lamp is in order... and soon to be on order.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having been on vacation for 2 weeks, and then straight into quarantine for another 2 weeks after returning to Japan, it has been 1 month since I’ve worn real shoes.

93602s got the call.
9FAB51FC-226F-4312-98A4-F76F05FBD5FE.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding this topic about UV sanitizing shoes --- I totally get this from an "ick" perspective but have any of you guys ever gotten an infection of any kind from a vintage or pre-owned shoe? It's never happened to me and I can't say, honestly, that I am THAT fastidious about disinfecting. I am curious about these devices as well since the "ick" consideration does cross my mind from time to time especially for anything particularly gnarly looking (which I tend to just get rid of).

So anyway, with that said, anyone ever contract a skin infection? Genuinely curious.

I am electing to throw a flag on the play. While this is a reasonable and well intentioned question, I will kindly request that any answers are directed back to Stook1 through direct message. This subject has been raised several times over the years and it rapidly devolves into acrimony between the two positions. ie, pro pre-owned shoes and anti pre-owned shoes. The result degrades from the pleasant nature of this particular thread that we all enjoy. I get enough strident opinions on pro and anti vax these days on TV. I kindly ask we "not go there" again on this thread. Thank you.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I am electing to throw a flag on the play. While this is a reasonable and well intentioned question, I will kindly request that any answers are directed back to Stook1 through direct message. This subject has been raised several times over the years and it rapidly devolves into acrimony between the two positions. ie, pro pre-owned shoes and anti pre-owned shoes. The result degrades from the pleasant nature of this particular thread that we all enjoy. I get enough strident opinions on pro and anti vax these days on TV. I kindly ask we "not go there" again on this thread. Thank you.

Fair enough -- in my old age I am likely forgetting these more acrimonious discussions. In case it wasn't clear, I have owned many preowned shoes and this isn't a huge concern but I do understand why others might be averse to such things.

At any rate, we can cease this discussion. It certainly wasn't my intention to stir the pot.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing boots exclusively since the snow started.

I feel I am neglecting my vintage collection.

But some exciting updates to my collection coming soon. I own a mind boggling amount of LWBs. So a few pairs are currently being rebuilt for indoor wear purposes - wedges for comfort, and some splashes of sharp colours to liven things up.

Pics will be posted once cobblers mail them back.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, @kilowatts found some Crane horsehide boots and, sadly for him, they did not fit in a way that made him want to keep them. I stepped up as I am always looking for something old/new and they arrived today. The original laces were a bit off for me, so I switched them out for some Guarded Goods laces. These are horsehide boots and GYW on a neocork sole used by Alden in some styles. The front half of the sole is double stitched to the welt, so it is not likely that they are going anywhere for a while. I see no sign of wear, so they appear to be NOS. I have no knowledge of the Crane company and any information would be welcome. Interweb searches has not turned up anything useful. "Is there an archeologist in the house?"

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1353.JPG

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, they are definitely shell and appear to be in really good condition. I think they were likely a custom order and Florsheim would insert the customer's name. I think the marker was used to cover the name of the person for some unknown reason. My only caution would be that such custom orders were likely because the width or size was atypical, such as EEEE. You may wish to check on exterior sole size for a clue. Finally, if these were a custom order the customer may have not wished to have the V cleat and asked for the rubber heel.
Thanks for that insight and the tip. They provided the outsole measurement and I can check that against my other pairs. One thing I like about this particular pair is the cream stitching on the upper. Some 93605s have black and some have cream stitching. I think the cream is a nice accent.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got these and while they might not be a GRAIL for everyone, I have been looking for a NOS pair for a long time. This style was not nearly as popular as others, it did sell well. Because the style can worn with so many things most of them that I have found were well worn or worn out. Finding a new old stock pair of 93606 has been a challenge.

Every time I find a new pair of these I’m amazed how great they are. These are from 1976 or 1986. I’m leaning toward 86 because of the nail pattern on the heel. It’s amazing to see 35-45 year old Shell Cordovan in spectacular condition

Also wearing some fun socks from AE clearance sale.

AD89C53B-7B7A-4B80-8848-D8C804DD3D42.jpeg
11E122BE-CD20-42A1-9910-AE065A2C488E.jpeg
DA325A50-E14E-468D-950E-27C6F3E078F5.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teju (lizard) AE Clayton for tassel Tuesday. I only have two pairs of tassel loafers so this might be the last tassel Tuesday for a few weeks.
F72D61B9-A6C5-4451-BCBD-03D3CE0CF236.jpeg
C139C112-E896-44C8-81D7-D4831916074B.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got these and while they might not be a GRAIL for everyone, I have been looking for a NOS pair for a long time. This style was not nearly as popular as others, it did sell well. Because the style can worn with so many things most of them that I have found were well worn or worn out. Finding a new old stock pair of 93606 has been a challenge.

Every time I find a new pair of these I’m amazed how great they are. These are from 1976 or 1986. I’m leaning toward 86 because of the nail pattern on the heel. It’s amazing to see 35-45 year old Shell Cordovan in spectacular condition

Also wearing some fun socks from AE clearance sale.

View attachment 1739360 View attachment 1739361 View attachment 1739362
Those are amazing. Congrats on grabbing them.

MathMan314

Reaction score
I've been wearing boots exclusively since the snow started.

I feel I am neglecting my vintage collection.

But some exciting updates to my collection coming soon. I own a mind boggling amount of LWBs. So a few pairs are currently being rebuilt for indoor wear purposes - wedges for comfort, and some splashes of sharp colours to liven things up.

Pics will be posted once cobblers mail them back.
Speaking of boots, have you had any experience with vintage made-in-Canada "Gorilla" boots? I saw these deadstock boots on eBay and I think they look very well made.

Looking forward to seeing your recrafted wedge sole shoes!

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it is a two pair day! Here’s a pair you don’t see everyday. Or more accurately, almost never see. MTO Florsheim NST. What makes these very rare is they have a black sole and Handsewn facing. @vestbash said he has never seen another pair of Imperials with the black sole. If he has never seen it, they must truly be rare.

9295338C-BB03-4DCC-A11F-1BC88D77CD94.jpeg
A88BEE58-DF96-451C-90DA-AD9CE216CC3B.jpeg
E46CBE28-B4DB-4D41-AD5C-E67BB187D434.jpeg

happypebble

Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Well, @kilowatts found some Crane horsehide boots and, sadly for him, they did not fit in a way that made him want to keep them. I stepped up as I am always looking for something old/new and they arrived today. The original laces were a bit off for me, so I switched them out for some Guarded Goods laces. These are horsehide boots and GYW on a neocork sole used by Alden in some styles. The front half of the sole is double stitched to the welt, so it is not likely that they are going anywhere for a while. I see no sign of wear, so they appear to be NOS. I have no knowledge of the Crane company and any information would be welcome. Interweb searches has not turned up anything useful. "Is there an archeologist in the house?"

View attachment 1739222
View attachment 1739224
View attachment 1739225

Between the stitching (both the sole and triple quarter stitch), rivets, and horsehide - those are pretty darn cool boots. It's basically a boondocker of sorts, although it looks like the toe is structured.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads