• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Utah a secret depository of amazing 1940s shoes? Do you get these on the black market by fighting off Mitt Romney?
Actually, I live in Columbus, Ohio. I made the username years ago as a fun word combo, and don’t actually have any connection the the Mormon religion. You could say the only thing religious about me is my devotion to checking eBay for vintage shoes.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometime ago I acquired a pair of early 1950's John McHale "Vikings" on the famed Bomber last. They were a custom order and were not marked for size. At that time I did a quick comparison to a pair of 11.5C McHales that I had handy, and concluded that that was what this pair was as well.

Today I was trying on other McHales and I had this pair out, so I tried them on. They fit me very well. I went back and compared with a 10.5E pair and the 11.5C pair and determined that this pair is actually very close to an 11D. How dumb am I? I had them for two years and never tried them on!!!

They are true triple soled gunboats; with a thin slip sole, and thick mid and out-soles. Like all pre-Florsheim era John McHale Custom shoes, they have the old logo running parallel to the long axis of the shoe, and the finish on the sole edge is natural rather than dark brown.

I cant wait for the snow to melt so I can get out and about in them. They are in super shape, but not NOS, so I can wear them without pangs of guilt and remorse.

IMG_8068.jpg
IMG_8069.jpg
IMG_8067.jpg
IMG_8070.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nettleton gator loafers today.
4FA3A3BC-8DF3-4D3A-B4F8-44370A34FDB7.jpeg
407EE71B-14C2-4041-9BA7-893458E96ECF.jpeg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted these jodhpur boots on the AE thread. And then I realized that we might appreciate seeing these on this thread as well.

These are the Allen Edmonds St. George boot from the 1980s. They were originally a lighter color of tannish brown and I dyed them darker a few years ago.

A8A36FFE-45D1-4DDF-A321-EA886922CAB6.jpeg
B4FCB642-737F-4BD8-AE71-DD1045DFC23C.jpeg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LB Sheppard PTB. Nice and shiny thanks to a little magic pudding. These have a stress fracture along the heel tab that will need to be addressed.

29F905ED-2C42-4F2E-8B7C-DAE898050ABB.jpeg

4F601A92-6662-45F0-8A46-B39F8B589ECF.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I live in Columbus, Ohio. I made the username years ago as a fun word combo, and don’t actually have any connection the the Mormon religion. You could say the only thing religious about me is my devotion to checking eBay for vintage shoes.

I always thought you were a dandy Mormon. Lol

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Style Forum, I never thought this would happen to me, but today after work I decided to stop by Goodwill and look around. There I was, a 40-something, married man, minding my own business, when this really hot pair caught my eye. "Don't stare," I muttered under my breath. "What would the missus think if she saw me?" But, after all I am a man, and I have needs, so I looked again and nearly swallowed my tongue. They were on full display, in the wild, just there for anyone to see and touch. So I reached out. My fingers made contact. They were smooth and firm, yet supple, yielding to my nimble fingers. I spread them open and peered inside. "My size," I said breathlessly. Very little usage; almost as though they had been saving themselves for me. I looked them over and over, up and down. Unlike so many pairs I see around here, these hadn't been rode hard and put up wet. Sure, a little cosmetic work would be needed, but that's par for the course these days. Without regard for my personal safety or the sanctity of my marriage, they stayed in my hot hands and we left the store together.

We all remember our firsts, right? Well, here's mine. A pair of Florsheim Imperial shell cordovan longwings, found at Goodwill, by yours truly. I never thought this could happen to me, but it did.

20220113_193818.jpg

20220113_193853.jpg

20220113_193926.jpg

20220113_194000.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Style Forum, I never thought this would happen to me, but today after work I decided to stop by Goodwill and look around. There I was, a 40-something, married man, minding my own business, when this really hot pair caught my eye. "Don't stare," I muttered under my breath. "What would the missus think if she saw me?" But, after all I am a man, and I have needs, so I looked again and nearly swallowed my tongue. They were on full display, in the wild, just there for anyone to see and touch. So I reached out. My fingers made contact. They were smooth and firm, yet supple, yielding to my nimble fingers. I spread them open and peered inside. "My size," I said breathlessly. Very little usage; almost as though they had been saving themselves for me. I looked them over and over, up and down. Unlike so many pairs I see around here, these hadn't been rode hard and put up wet. Sure, a little cosmetic work would be needed, but that's par for the course these days. Without regard for my personal safety or the sanctity of my marriage, they stayed in my hot hands and we left the store together.

We all remember our firsts, right? Well, here's mine. A pair of Florsheim Imperial shell cordovan longwings, found at Goodwill, by yours truly. I never thought this could happen to me, but it did.

View attachment 1736697

View attachment 1736698

View attachment 1736699

View attachment 1736700

Sexier than penthouse.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up these very cool elephant Florsheim Imperials by McHale yesterday. They were part of McHale's "Caravan Collection" and date to circa 1970-75. McHale issued both John McHale Custom shoes and Florsheim Imperials as part of the Caravan Collection, although the stylings were slightly different for each marque.

This pair is a 10.5D, which will work perfectly for me. Two years ago I found a pair labelled as John McHales in 10D and I had them rebuilt by Gary Coakley (pictured below). That pair had three pairs of eyelets while this Florsheim pair has four. This new pair has had a half resole so I will be getting them rebuilt as well.

So far I have seen Caravan Collection shoes in Seal, Water Bison, Camel and Elephant leather.

I guess I will be humming some Van Morrison today:

And the caravan is on it's way
I can hear the merry gypsie play
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
130538285_3807357935974789_890899064663387770_o.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1736697

View attachment 1736698

View attachment 1736699

View attachment 1736700

After paying for the shoes he smoked a cigarette

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads