• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation: AE Bartlett today.
DD450418-857B-4304-9029-80F20D2AA473.jpeg
DA6FC5A5-D1FE-4DA4-8ABC-17DCD34BF24F.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The $25 J&M shell with the frazzled tassels look a lot better in person than in the listing photos. I wore some Hanover tassels to the unboxing for good luck. I’ll post cleanup pics later. View attachment 1734918
I get a raging shoe boner for the old JM logos.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Have some shell Yumas incoming. Unlike @Oshare I have never actually seen a pair, so I'm curious to see what all the excitement's about.
View attachment 1735002

I saw those and passed. I didn’t think there was a chance they’d fit & me trying to squeeze into shell 12 would tear the shell. Curious to know how it goes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's time for the NOS Hanover PTB review as they arrived yesterday. These are L.B. Sheppard signature, which were the better line for Hanover. After some clean-up of dust they were ready for some new laces and a photo. The photo shows my commitment to the group as it was 10 degrees out there.

IMG_1313.jpg

I earlier described my search for a EEE Made in USA Florsheim PTB, only to discover they did not come in EEE. I then found an 11EEE Florsheim that was made soon after Florsheim went to India. I compared it to my 93602 and found the quality of both to be essentially identical. These Hanover PTBs, being 11EEE, would make for a nice comparison with the Florsheims. Not a true apples to apples, but pretty close. First, comparison is the color. This was take indoors under room light and no enhancements. The Hanover is on the right. To my eyes the colors are nearly identical with perhaps a touch of red in the Hanover. However, this may be the luck of the draw as there are differences in shade on can find in many shoe brands. In person, they look the same to me.

IMG_1314.JPG

The leather quality of the upper seem comparable, but I am no expert. The grain on the Florsheim is smoother compared to the Alpine-like grain in the Hanover. First, the Florsheim and then the Hanover.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

The most significant external difference is the joining of the upper to the eyelet section. The Florsheim joint is folded inwards and the stitching cannot be seen. Same as the current AE Leeds.

IMG_1317.JPG

The Hanover appears to overlap and then sewn on both sides of the joint. The Florsheim joint is perhaps "dressier" and the Hanover a touch more casual. Who is to say?

IMG_1318.JPG

There is very little to compare the stitch per inch, but it can be seen around the throat of the shoe. The Hanover SPI is higher than the Florsheim.

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

The soles are the same thickness and both have a channel to recess the stitching. The external measurements of the Hanover sole was slightly longer and wider than the Florsheim. This did not translate to a larger fit internally as both shoes felt the same on my feet and both closed to the same degree when laced.

IMG_1327.JPG

In summary, there are slight differences as one would expect but nothing for me to declare one of them better than the other. At the end of the day, I now own two pairs of brown PTBs with no distinct preference for either pair. There are worse problems to have.

vestbash

Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It's time for the NOS Hanover PTB review as they arrived yesterday. These are L.B. Sheppard signature, which were the better line for Hanover. After some clean-up of dust they were ready for some new laces and a photo. The photo shows my commitment to the group as it was 10 degrees out there.

View attachment 1735147

I earlier described my search for a EEE Made in USA Florsheim PTB, only to discover they did not come in EEE. I then found an 11EEE Florsheim that was made soon after Florsheim went to India. I compared it to my 93602 and found the quality of both to be essentially identical. These Hanover PTBs, being 11EEE, would make for a nice comparison with the Florsheims. Not a true apples to apples, but pretty close. First, comparison is the color. This was take indoors under room light and no enhancements. The Hanover is on the right. To my eyes the colors are nearly identical with perhaps a touch of red in the Hanover. However, this may be the luck of the draw as there are differences in shade on can find in many shoe brands. In person, they look the same to me.

View attachment 1735148

The leather quality of the upper seem comparable, but I am no expert. The grain on the Florsheim is smoother compared to the Alpine-like grain in the Hanover. First, the Florsheim and then the Hanover.

View attachment 1735155

View attachment 1735156

The most significant external difference is the joining of the upper to the eyelet section. The Florsheim joint is folded inwards and the stitching cannot be seen. Same as the current AE Leeds.

View attachment 1735162

The Hanover appears to overlap and then sewn on both sides of the joint. The Florsheim joint is perhaps "dressier" and the Hanover a touch more casual. Who is to say?

View attachment 1735163

There is very little to compare the stitch per inch, but it can be seen around the throat of the shoe. The Hanover SPI is higher than the Florsheim.

View attachment 1735164

View attachment 1735165

The soles are the same thickness and both have a channel to recess the stitching. The external measurements of the Hanover sole was slightly longer and wider than the Florsheim. This did not translate to a larger fit internally as both shoes felt the same on my feet and both closed to the same degree when laced.

View attachment 1735166

In summary, there are slight differences as one would expect but nothing for me to declare one of them better than the other. At the end of the day, I now own two pairs of brown PTBs with no distinct preference for either pair. There are worse problems to have.

I have a very similar pair of nettletons. I will edit this post with a couple of quick pics taken from similar angles for comparison purposes just so we have the grain PTB trifecta. :)

Here goes...

-Last shape is, unsurprisingly, a bit more chunky than Florsheim and Hanover.
-Grain seems maybe closer to @smfdoc Florsheim pair with somewhat less texture than the Hanvoer.
-Quarter construction is similar to the Florsheim
-Welt SPI seems similar to the Havover. Upper SPI, not certain. Seems tough to tell to me how they line up tbh. All 3 seem good. The upper stitching on the Nettleton shows less overall than the other 2 pairs but I think that's intentional for all of the pairs.

Seems like it's hard to go wrong here with any of them and they are each solid choices in their own right. I think I have the strongest preference for the leather texture of the Hanover and I also like the stitching style on the quarters somewhat more than the Florsheim / Nettleton style.

IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg
IMG_3345.jpg
IMG_3346.jpg
IMG_3347.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All of my Florsheim talk resulted in selecting the trusty 93602 LWB for an indoor day. The temperature outside has soared all the way to 16 degrees.

IMG_1330.jpg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those and passed. I didn’t think there was a chance they’d fit & me trying to squeeze into shell 12 would tear the shell. Curious to know how it goes.
They're not my size either, but I think someone will want to buy them. I was surprised that the auction didn't do better for the seller, but he didn't put the magic word "Yuma" in the listing description so they didn't get as many bids as I thought they might.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell AE Graysons for tassels Tuesday (I just made that up… it’s not bad though, right?)
5C7BC279-93C7-44C9-8DAF-36B6B571B4E8.jpeg
30F75D13-898E-49A5-9460-7EA11F2C5607.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wetted the tassels with Leather Milk and used the wire tie from a bag of coffee, cut in quarters, to keep them in order. I think it looks a lot neater than having them splayed out. Then just fingertip amounts of the same lotion on the uppers, and a bunch of brushing and buffing. These shoes were in much better condition than they appeared to be in the original listing, so they didn't need much work.
4A489A7F-C4C4-4439-8DC2-D54609B0ACC9.jpeg

The Yumas I have coming in will be a more challenging project. They're pretty beat.
7B934244-C94C-4AF4-972C-E20CEB771F74.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads