• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever seen short wings with no perforations (not that I’ve been hanging around here long enough to see half of the interesting styles you guys dig up…). Was that a common style at some point? Pretty cool either way!

It's called an austerity brogue. They're around (modern versions around as well). I'd say what makes this one a bit unique is the stitching. They are also more typically an oxford. But the derby with stitch details works, overall, to make it a more casual look. These probably aren't the best shoes ever but they're fun and dirt cheap given the condition. Someone should buy them.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone pick up a pair of the 125th anniversary series from Florsheim? These are not mine, but the pics show decent stitching and even spade soles.

Screenshot_20211205-214217_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214224_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214231_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214237_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214258_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214247_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214318_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214325_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214334_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214340_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214346_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211205-214355_Samsung Internet.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone should buy these two pairs... not my listings.

super condition pin grain Strands. ask is maybe a little high but haven't seen many pairs come around. unfortunately this pair would be too narrow for me.

on the opposite end of the spectrum this looks like a fun pair of executive imperials for very short money in good shape. This one is too big for me otherwise they'd be inbound to the northeast.
Wow. Those are like GH strands.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid-1980s AE teju Clayton today.
02F2D339-FB55-4662-BD57-56F52AC50C1F.jpeg
0880F49D-42BD-4A28-8515-B24C14E5F88D.jpeg

MrBaho

Reaction score
It's called an austerity brogue. They're around (modern versions around as well). I'd say what makes this one a bit unique is the stitching. They are also more typically an oxford. But the derby with stitch details works, overall, to make it a more casual look. These probably aren't the best shoes ever but they're fun and dirt cheap given the condition. Someone should buy them.
I got them.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen, here's a question for you:

So I know that in the 80s and such, Hanover, Florsheim, Allen Edmonds, etc, were making shoes in wide widths, but are there any shoes made by any company earlier than that in wide ranges?

I don't really like sizing up from 11.5 EEE to 13 D in order to get a fit as the length is a bit long on me. Plus, 13 D is pretty rare, too, so---.

Any companies I should be on the look out that did make vintage shoes in the EEE range? Or at least an E?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen, here's a question for you:

So I know that in the 80s and such, Hanover, Florsheim, Allen Edmonds, etc, were making shoes in wide widths, but are there any shoes made by any company earlier than that in wide ranges?

I don't really like sizing up from 11.5 EEE to 13 D in order to get a fit as the length is a bit long on me. Plus, 13 D is pretty rare, too, so---.

Any companies I should be on the look out that did make vintage shoes in the EEE range? Or at least an E?

Mason Imperials came in widths up to EE for sure as I have a pair.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Wow. Those are like GH strands.

That's what I thought too! @Quantum17 you should get them. Or not? Can't decide if they seem overpriced but will let you guys decide. I'd probably send an offer if they were a wider 9.5 but I can't fit a D on the 65 last.

Speaking of GH strands, I have seriously debated picking up a walnut or bourbon pair and converting them to GH. It's been done before - saw some pics of a pair on one of the FB groups a while ago.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever seen short wings with no perforations (not that I’ve been hanging around here long enough to see half of the interesting styles you guys dig up…). Was that a common style at some point? Pretty cool either way!
I got them.

Some Austerity Brogues have some but minimal perforations like the70’s “Tom, Dick, and Harry.”

A90D0B5A-32B2-4264-AFD8-DE60CC7D7DB4.jpeg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought too! @Quantum17 you should get them. Or not? Can't decide if they seem overpriced but will let you guys decide. I'd probably send an offer if they were a wider 9.5 but I can't fit a D on the 65 last.

Speaking of GH strands, I have seriously debated picking up a walnut or bourbon pair and converting them to GH. It's been done before - saw some pics of a pair on one of the FB groups a while ago.

They may be open to offers. That pair has been doing the rounds for a little while now.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Some Austerity Brogues have some but minimal perforations like the70’s “Tom, Dick, and Harry.”

View attachment 1715575

Not to spiral into pedantry but I personally don't consider that an austerity brogue. Once there are perforations and a medallion it's just a short wing brogue to my eye.

Btw, I happed to really like that shoe. Who is the maker of this pair?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to spiral into pedantry but I personally don't consider that an austerity brogue. Once there are perforations and a medallion it's just a short wing brogue to my eye.

You are correct. A TRUE austerity brogue has no perforation. But, these are pretty close.

These are Allen Edmonds and are really called the “Tom, Dick, and Harry.”

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Semi-austere?

Tom, Dick and Harrys were made by Allen Edmonds, I do believe.

Edit - Tie goes to the OP!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You are correct. A TRUE austerity brogue has no perforation. But, these are pretty close.

These are Allen Edmonds and are really called the “Tom, Dick, and Harry.”

Ahhhh that makes sense. It has a vague resemblance to the Chester. Guessing it was made during the same general time frame. Going to have to look out for a pair of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads