• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MathMan314

Reaction score
I have 3 pairs of Florsheim LWBs that I am converting to leather wedge soles for comfort. Mostly WFH means comfort is paramount.

View attachment 1713331 View attachment 1713332 View attachment 1713333

These are pairs by Bedos.
I love the look of the wedge soles on those! Funny enough, the video where Steve converts some Florsheim Imperials into wedge soles was the video that started this journey for me. Whenever I'm due for a resole on a pair of gunboats (which I don't think will be very soon...), this is probably what I'll have done.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of the wedge soles on those! Funny enough, the video where Steve converts some Florsheim Imperials into wedge soles was the video that started this journey for me. Whenever I'm due for a resole on a pair of gunboats (which I don't think will be very soon...), this is probably what I'll have done.

Since covid, I've switched to WFH for 99% of my time.

I decided to start an indoor only collection to keep my feet comfortable and happy. Another member mentioned how comfortable wedges are. So I bought 2 pairs of wedge boots from Boulet. And man, they feel so good on my feet.

Most of my new additions have been boots. Most are wedges or will be converted to wedge in the next year or so. Comfort is paramount when I am at home using my standing desk.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is another pair of shoes from the hoard that was languishing in Ogdensburg NY for the past year and a half. These are a super rare pair McHale built shell longwings. The only adverts that I have ever seen for shell Florsheim's in Canada come from the British Boot Shop in Calgary. I purchased these shoes from a fellow in Sweet Grass Montana, which is directly south of Calgary, and right on the international border. I have bought several pairs of very fine vintage Canadian shoes from him in the past. Like most of the Canadian built Imperials, these shoes have seven nails at the waist and lack the V-cleat. They also have the classic McHale doubled and stitched edge on the sock liner.

IMG_7612.jpg
IMG_7630.jpg
IMG_7613.jpg
IMG_7614.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 4 of trial got cancelled. We wrapped up all submissions yesterday and judge will issue decision in late November. So today, I have the luxury of working from home.

Maiden voyage of my recently acquired Silver Stud for Frank Wright, Veldtschoen shoes. Frank Wright manufactured shoes for the British military, and some of their history can be found here:

https://classicshoesformen.com/the-...t-officers-zug-grain-veldtschoen-derby-41-5d/

Veldtschoen, is the Dutch word for "field shoe" and were perfected by British shoe manufacturers as the cheery rainy weather of England and the Scottish highlands made waterproof footwear ever so necessary. They were believed to have been invented for the Boer war in South Africa, and worn extensively by British and Commonwealth (including Canadian) forces during the rainy seasons.

Here is an explanation of Veldtschoen construction: https://www.shoepassion.com/shoe-encyclopaedia/production-methods/veldtschoen/

So on a rainy day, I took them out for a wear. They are stiff and sturdy in feel. The leather soles and nailed leather heels... I'd like to add a rubber sole protector at some point and rubber heels. But if the military could wear them as is, shouldn't I?

View attachment 1689528 View attachment 1689529 View attachment 1689530 View attachment 1689531 View attachment 1689532 View attachment 1689533

After a bit of searching I picked up a pair of Veldtschoen shoes made by Cheaney. This is my first pair from that maker so I wasn’t too sure about fit. I decided to err on the safe side by going a half size larger than might be my normal fit for a British shoe.

With their commando soles and waterproof construction, they will be perfect for our rainy season and fit well with a pair of slightly thicker socks.

Thanks to @suitforcourt for introducing me to Veldtschoen shoes!

93DA8BA3-412A-4ED2-9E11-DC878337C1D5.jpeg

hamercha

Reaction score
Here is another pair of shoes from the hoard that was languishing in Ogdensburg NY for the past year and a half. These are a super rare pair McHale built shell longwings. The only adverts that I have ever seen for shell Florsheim's in Canada come from the British Boot Shop in Calgary. I purchased these shoes from a fellow in Sweet Grass Montana, which is directly south of Calgary, and right on the international border. I have bought several pairs of very fine vintage Canadian shoes from him in the past. Like most of the Canadian built Imperials, these shoes have seven nails at the waist and lack the V-cleat. They also have the classic McHale doubled and stitched edge on the sock liner.

View attachment 1713501 View attachment 1713504 View attachment 1713505 View attachment 1713506

hamercha

Reaction score

View attachment 1713501 View attachment 1713504 View attachment 1713505 View attachment 1713506
This is not your size. Are you selling them?

Does the doubled stitched edge on the shock liner means, that Florsheim is made by McHale?

Last edited:

vestbash

Reaction score

Does the doubled stitched edge on the shock liner means, that Florsheim is made by McHale?

Yes, that is one easy way to readily identify a canadian mchale florsheim shoe, the binding leather around the sock liner.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

WHAT A FIND! WOW! Are those a 7 EEE? Guessing the 7 is the size...

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a bit of searching I picked up a pair of Veldtschoen shoes made by Cheaney. This is my first pair from that maker so I wasn’t too sure about fit. I decided to err on the safe side by going a half size larger than might be my normal fit for a British shoe.

With their commando soles and waterproof construction, they will be perfect for our rainy season and fit well with a pair of slightly thicker socks.

Thanks to @suitforcourt for introducing me to Veldtschoen shoes!

View attachment 1713519

I'm glad you found a pair!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any Florsheim made in Canada, was made by John McHale

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are beyond magnificent. Can you link to this Montana seller's page? I'm going to keep an eye on his lot.

hamercha

Reaction score
Any Florsheim made in Canada, was made by John McHale
I have an old Florsheim with no visible sign indicating where it was made has stitching on the insole and double row of stitching on the top. That's why I am asking whether it is made by Mc Hale.

For my wide feet, this last is excellent fit.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an old Florsheim with no visible sign indicating where it was made has stitching on the insole and double row of stitching on the top. That's why I am asking whether it is made by Mc Hale.

For my wide feet, this last is excellent fit.

Take pics. I'm sure we can help you figure it out.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christmas came early to the Nobleprofessor household! *

*assuming gifts to myself count

Thank you to @vestbash for being a constant source of spectacular footwear!

This is just a preview for now:

624F8E9B-3B61-4B74-86C8-33168D5776B8.jpeg
F2509BB7-E94A-49A8-BB77-B263710E1A98.jpeg
6008DD31-64D8-4336-915A-EDC02745140F.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads