• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once in a blue moon the thrift fairies smile upon me...

A story:

I had a doctor’s appt downtown today, so I figured I’d stop by the office. (We are WFH forever now, so we need to clear out by January. (It is what it is.))

It was raining a bit, so I changed out of my shell longwings into the LB Sheppard ones instead (I’m not an animal after all.) At the last minute I also decided to drive instead of take the train. Being very out of practice in doing this drive, and with the traffic pattern having changed at some point since March 2020, I promptly missed my exit. As I cursed and went far out of my way, I remembered a thrift that I had not visited in many moons (certainly not since at least March of 2020), that was only an exit or two further.

This is all going somewhere, you’ll have to trust me…

I decided to just head over there - I was already late, and besides, there really aren’t any rules anymore, are there?

And I’m glad I did, as I found this, just there for the picking:

260F9853-F62D-4EC8-85EF-CE313A067185.jpeg

39AD77D6-14CD-410B-BA46-1E70785BF051.jpeg

In all these years, maybe the 2nd or 3rd pair of Alden I’d ever found.

And yes, they are shell.

My point here friends, is that the thrift fairies work in mysterious ways and we should not question them.

And this can be a fun hobby sometimes.

Keep the faith gentlemen.

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A story:

I had a doctor’s appt downtown today, so I figured I’d stop by the office. (We are WFH forever now, so we need to clear out by January. (It is what it is.))

It was raining a bit, so I changed out of my shell lomgwings into the LB Sheppard ones instead (I’m not an animal) At the last minute I also decided to drive instead of take the train. Being very out of practice in doing this drive, and with the traffic pattern having changed at some point since March 2020, I promptly missed my exit. As I cursed and went far out of my way, I remembered a thrift that I had not visited in many moons (certainly not since at least March of 2020), that was only an exit or two further.

This is all going somewhere, you’ll have to trust me…

I decided to just head over there - I was already late, and besides, there really aren’t any rules anymore, are there?

And I’m glad I did, as I found this, just there for the picking:

View attachment 1713275
View attachment 1713274

In all these years, maybe the 2nd or 3rd pair of Alden I’d ever found.

And yes, they are shell.

My point here friends, is that the thrift fairies work in mysterious ways and we should not question them.

And this can be a fun hobby sometimes.

Keep the faith gentlemen.

WOW! Thrifting Shell is like spotting a unicorn! Great find! With a little cleanup they will look great!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These aren’t really my style. But, they are sort of fun. Not my listing:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to Style Forum, but I have been enjoying reading this thread from the beginning little by little for the last month or so! (I'm about 900 pages in.) I got interested in vintage Florsheim after watching a lot of Bedo's Leatherworks on YouTube during quarantine back in 2020, which then guided me to @davidVC 's blog and now to here. I recently acquired my first pair of 93602's, cleaned them up, and wore for the first time today. View attachment 1712788 View attachment 1712795 View attachment 1712796

Welcome to the thread. Jump in, the water is fine.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to Style Forum, but I have been enjoying reading this thread from the beginning little by little for the last month or so! (I'm about 900 pages in.) I got interested in vintage Florsheim after watching a lot of Bedo's Leatherworks on YouTube during quarantine back in 2020, which then guided me to @davidVC 's blog and now to here. I recently acquired my first pair of 93602's, cleaned them up, and wore for the first time today. View attachment 1712788 View attachment 1712795 View attachment 1712796

Excellent start. The Florsheim 93602 is the perfect way to dive into the world of vintage shoes. Fair warning: starting with such a great pair as the 93602, you may be disappointed by other pairs,

Enjoy the group. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and expertise. Also, vintage quality MiUSA shoes are addictive.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These aren’t really my style. But, they are sort of fun. Not my listing:

I have 3 pairs of Florsheim LWBs that I am converting to leather wedge soles for comfort. Mostly WFH means comfort is paramount.

FB_IMG_1631323230684.jpg
FB_IMG_1631323225403.jpg
FB_IMG_1631323079566.jpg

These are pairs by Bedos.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a pristine pair of 93605s!

And what is the secret to wearing shell cordovan and not getting rolls or creases across the vamp?

I wish I knew. I have only “worn” these 2-3 times just around the house. I know shoes are meant to worn. I have mental block about wearing a few pairs I have.

MathMan314

Reaction score
Excellent start. The Florsheim 93602 is the perfect way to dive into the world of vintage shoes. Fair warning: starting with such a great pair as the 93602, you may be disappointed by other pairs,

Enjoy the group. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and expertise. Also, vintage quality MiUSA shoes are addictive.
Thank you, sir! They have already become a favorite in my collection. I actually started the collection with some USA-made Sears and Bostonians, as well as some late 90's 96624's (among others). The 93602's felt like an appropriate first post though since they are such a nice, iconic shoe! I look forward to learning about and appreciating more vintage shoes with you all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads