• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny how we shoe guys seem to have a collective memory. I remember my Boy Scout boots quite well as they were somewhat controversial at the time. They were US made moc-toes and as I was raised in the UK in the conservative 1950’s my scoutmaster was aghast when he saw them. Muttering something about second class colonials etc. Little did he know, eh?
Kilowatts

Wow. What would he have called my family members in Hong Kong?

VintageZealot

Reaction score
Does the FR stamped on the sole stand for Factory Reject, Factory Recraft, or something else?

Some boots for a change! Allen Edmonds Winchester zipper boots in 9476 Burgundy Polished Calf (not cobbler) from 1985. These boots fit very well and get a lot of attention. Since it's been rainy/snowy weather for a few weeks now I've been wearing these a lot more. The pictures were taken when the weather was nicer.
20211116_160412 - Copy.jpg
20211116_160945 - Copy.jpg
20211116_161038 - Copy.jpg
The date code suggests these were made on October 3rd 1985.
20211116_161154 - Copy.jpg
20211116_161234 - Copy.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the FR stamped on the sole stand for Factory Reject, Factory Recraft, or something else?

Some boots for a change! Allen Edmonds Winchester zipper boots in 9476 Burgundy Polished Calf (not cobbler) from 1985. These boots fit very well and get a lot of attention. Since it's been rainy/snowy weather for a few weeks now I've been wearing these a lot more. The pictures were taken when the weather was nicer.
View attachment 1711653
View attachment 1711654
View attachment 1711655
The date code suggests these were made on October 3rd 1985.
View attachment 1711656
View attachment 1711657
Those are really cool. I always thought that stamp stood for “factory reject” (i.e., factory seconds). I have a pair with the same stamp and I can’t find any flaws. That is often the case with contemporary F2s.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone in this group and others from the various Facebook groups would be interested in a sort of Shoe Show or convention?

I think it would be fun to have a weekend thing — maybe next summer? We could pick a centrally located City. And have a show maybe semi sponsored by AE or Alden or even Florsheim. They could bring styles they want to introduce. We could have a swap meet where people bring vintage shoes they want to sell. We could have some demonstrations from our gifted Cobblers. Or a speaker from Horween? This is all just brainstorming at this point. Maybe a dinner with a silent auction to raise money for Charity?

We could combine the shoe challenge into it? In order to pay for a ballroom/convention room, we would have to have some pretty firm commitments. I bet we could talk AE into making one of their trunk show stops there.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nettleton shell saddles today’s.
E3D743C7-A1D7-45FC-8D2B-68CF15A20E9B.jpeg
27CE75E9-3DD9-4E43-B2C3-22C9C56AE85B.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone in this group and others from the various Facebook groups would be interested in a sort of Shoe Show or convention?

I think it would be fun to have a weekend thing — maybe next summer? We could pick a centrally located City. And have a show maybe semi sponsored by AE or Alden or even Florsheim. They could bring styles they want to introduce. We could have a swap meet where people bring vintage shoes they want to sell. We could have some demonstrations from our gifted Cobblers. Or a speaker from Horween? This is all just brainstorming at this point. Maybe a dinner with a silent auction to raise money for Charity?

We could combine the shoe challenge into it? In order to pay for a ballroom/convention room, we would have to have some pretty firm commitments. I bet we could talk AE into making one of their trunk show stops there.

I love the idea. It's something folks on the thread have thrown out there a few times. Is there a convention where shoes companies like Alden and/or AE show off their new lineups? If there is, it might be good to piggyback on it. I have no capacity to organize but would try very hard to attend. I'd pack 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of underwear, a toothbrush, and 15 pairs of shoes.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a recent find:
FED98E8E-9F6C-4698-AF6A-DB0281B81533.jpeg
DC01CED0-3B38-449A-9B4E-C9C56C6E8833.jpeg
05A1082C-4EF1-4EEB-B8E5-26651032A65E.jpeg

Custom Florsheim Imperials.
Can anyone ID the material?

Given that, any tips on the best cleaning/conditioning product to use? I don’t own any reptan, but have just about everything else.

Also, no size or it rubbed off, but they fit perfectly!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally made it across the border today. These 1930's shoe display stands had been waiting 18 months. Hard to believe. I added them to my John McHale shrine. My lovely wife is sooooo patient with me.

65998947492__C342C28B-8FED-4E34-A90F-02967E36192B.jpg
IMG_7610.jpg

Last edited:

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a recent find:
View attachment 1712471 View attachment 1712472 View attachment 1712473
Custom Florsheim Imperials.
Can anyone ID the material?

Given that, any tips on the best cleaning/conditioning product to use? I don’t own any reptan, but have just about everything else.

Also, no size or it rubbed off, but they fit perfectly!
I also vote gator. And I agree that Reptan is worth spending a little extra for. There must be something about the size of the molecules that it gets into gator and croc skin better than the usual moisturizers we use. I use a hairdryer to warm up the shoes before I apply it, then buff once they've cooled down.

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it gator? My vote is get the reptan. Does great on my shark. Though I get no sponsorship, I am a Saphir fan.
I also vote gator. And I agree that Reptan is worth spending a little extra for. There must be something about the size of the molecules that it gets into gator and croc skin better than the usual moisturizers we use. I use a hairdryer to warm up the shoes before I apply it, then buff once they've cooled down.
Thanks both. I had almost ruled out gator since I had always assumed that its scales were more uniform in size and smaller. Looking closely, I also see no sign of the pore that would indicate croc, so I was thinking maybe caiman.

In any case, Reptan should be incoming soon.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try the hairdryer. Thanks

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Among my pickups in Ogdensburg today were these two pairs of Dacks whole-cuts. The brown pair are labelled as S.E. Dacks and were made sometime between 1952 and early 1958. The black pair are the latest that I have seen in this style and date to circa 1990, although they have all the stampings of the shoes as made in the 1960's and only differ in the sock-liner; a real throwback pair. Both are water bison and my size at 10.5D. I have been waiting 18 months to pick up the SE Dack pair, and only a week for the black "Bespoke Quality" pair.

IMG_7617.jpg
IMG_7618.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Among my pickups in Ogdensburg today were these two pairs of Dacks whole-cuts. The brown pair are labelled as S.E. Dacks and were made sometime between 1952 and early 1958. The black pair are the latest that I have seen in this style and date to circa 1990, although they have all the stampings of the shoes as made in the 1960's and only differ in the sock-liner; a real throwback pair. Both are water bison and my size at 10.5D. I have been waiting 18 months to pick up the SE Dack pair, and only a week for the black "Bespoke Quality" pair.

View attachment 1712563 View attachment 1712564

Magnificent!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads