• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@friendlygoz and @Oshare

Would you trust using eyelet/grommet pliers on a similar job? I might visit the craft store today...

I don't have any first hand experience with the grommet pliers, but I did come across comments that they are finicky and don't always go in straight. Because of that, I went with the punch and anvil block approach, and just used a hammer to tap them in. Glad I did. It was actually a lot easier than I was expecting.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been reading these posts and got inspired and found a pair of Florsheim 93602's that were NOS from 1971. While I spent a bit more than I'd planned they are beautiful shoes and built like a tank. The leather is really nice and soft I did learn from reading here that I gotta take care of the leather, especially older leather. So far I've given them a couple coats of Bick 4. What I'd like to know is if you found a pair of really nice NOS shoes what would be your regimen to get them in tip top shape and keep them there?

Those are awesome. Congratulations! Great find.

I basically treat NOS the same as old worn shoes. Even if they have never been worn, the leather can still dry out over time, especially if they were not stored in poor conditions (and forgotten about for 50 years).

Regular rubs with Bick 4 is a good start. I also use Saphir Renovateur or Collonil 1909 shoe cream to give them a nice shine.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week I've been wearing these Florsheim 31836 in Bookbinder Coventry Calf from 1970.
IMG_8840.JPEG
IMG_8841.JPEG
IMG_8842.JPEG
IMG_8843.JPEG

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well... since you asked....The first 3 pics are from the e-bay ad. The last is after I cleaned the welt stiching which was black. Same shoes, different lighting.

How are there shoes that are over 50 years old and have never been worn???

View attachment 1708722 View attachment 1708724
Image 3 - VTG NOS FLORSHEIM IMPERIAL 93602  V-CLEAT SZ 10 D!!
View attachment 1708747

Such a beautiful pair. I do not know what it is, but I will see beautiful 93602 and think, “damn! I would love to have those.” Then suddenly remember that I already have multiple pairs.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a little crazy and nabbed these on Eby. Will report back after I clean them up. I also need to find those bunion knobs for the shoe stretcher. Any difference in plastic ones vs metal? thanks.
1637714290660.png
1637714337038.png

BlueMoonMonday

Reaction score
Those are awesome. Congratulations! Great find.

I basically treat NOS the same as old worn shoes. Even if they have never been worn, the leather can still dry out over time, especially if they were not stored in poor conditions (and forgotten about for 50 years).

Regular rubs with Bick 4 is a good start. I also use Saphir Renovateur or Collonil 1909 shoe cream to give them a nice shine.

So what is the difference between Bick 4, Saphir Renovateur and Collonil 1909? What about Venetian cream?
Are they used for different things?

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is the difference between Bick 4, Saphir Renovateur and Collonil 1909? What about Venetian cream?
Are they used for different things?
Bick 4 cleans and moisturizes, no solvent, not expensive.
Saphir Renovateur and Collonil 1909 are similar and moisturize with a high gloss shine. They're more expensive.
Venetian cream has what smells like turpentine in it and is great for cleaning and conditioning old shell. Buy the 32oz. "Big Gulp" can on Amazon and it'll last a long time.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@friendlygoz and @Oshare

Would you trust using eyelet/grommet pliers on a similar job? I might visit the craft store today...
I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but I detailed my process here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bick 4 cleans and moisturizes, no solvent, not expensive.
Saphir Renovateur and Collonil 1909 are similar and moisturize with a high gloss shine. They're more expensive.
Venetian cream has what smells like turpentine in it and is great for cleaning and conditioning old shell. Buy the 32oz. "Big Gulp" can on Amazon and it'll last a long time.
I would add thaf Saphir renovateur penetrates shell better than anything I’ve used (except neatfoot oil but I don’t recommend using it unless you really know what you are doing).

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smfdoc ,

What's your source for Collonil 1909? I just bought a couple colors from ebay for about $13 each - is that the going rate?

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those the 11.5 B Footjoys auction that ended this morning? If so, you got an amazing deal on those.
Yes. I'm not really a B but a C can work. So I may have to stretch them a tad.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nobleprofessor — if I recall, you can make an 11.5 B work, so a 12 A should be right up your alley.

I used to wear 11.5, but my size has changed when I lost weight. I used to be 11-11.5. Now, I wear 10.5-11.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear 11.5, but my size has changed when I lost weight. I used to be 11-11.5. Now, I wear 10.5-11.
Same happened to me. But you do find out there are brand differences too. I can range 10.5D to 11.5C. I was just reading that by age 80 you can lose 50% of your peak muscle mass! Wonder what my shoe size will be if I make it that far?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads