• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VintageZealot

Reaction score
Cross posting these from the Canadian shoe thread, these are pre scuff pictures of the brown pair I was asking about recently:

Here's some 60s or 70s "Bespoke Quality" Dack's Kangaroo loafers or slip ons I found at a thrift store awhile ago. I'm not sure if these are bit loafers since they have a leather strap with a metal detail rather than a full metal bit, yet they also don't resemble a penny loafer. With the plain toe design they might not even be loafers, just plain slip ons. I'm not sure.

Regardless here they are:
20210923_174122 - Copy.jpg
20210923_174405 - Copy.jpg
20210923_174631 - Copy.jpg
20210923_174739 - Copy.jpg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 4 of trial got cancelled. We wrapped up all submissions yesterday and judge will issue decision in late November. So today, I have the luxury of working from home.

Maiden voyage of my recently acquired Silver Stud for Frank Wright, Veldtschoen shoes. Frank Wright manufactured shoes for the British military, and some of their history can be found here:

https://classicshoesformen.com/the-...t-officers-zug-grain-veldtschoen-derby-41-5d/

Veldtschoen, is the Dutch word for "field shoe" and were perfected by British shoe manufacturers as the cheery rainy weather of England and the Scottish highlands made waterproof footwear ever so necessary. They were believed to have been invented for the Boer war in South Africa, and worn extensively by British and Commonwealth (including Canadian) forces during the rainy seasons.

Here is an explanation of Veldtschoen construction: https://www.shoepassion.com/shoe-encyclopaedia/production-methods/veldtschoen/

So on a rainy day, I took them out for a wear. They are stiff and sturdy in feel. The leather soles and nailed leather heels... I'd like to add a rubber sole protector at some point and rubber heels. But if the military could wear them as is, shouldn't I?

View attachment 1689528 View attachment 1689529 View attachment 1689530 View attachment 1689531 View attachment 1689532 View attachment 1689533

Very nice! And very informative.
I could use a pair like that right now! Now I must find a pair for myself!

BlueSteel

Reaction score

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that the 70's catalog, #77354? I've been considering some as well.

Yes. 77354. Really well made. Last works well for my foot. TTS.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day 4 of trial got cancelled. We wrapped up all submissions yesterday and judge will issue decision in late November. So today, I have the luxury of working from home.

Maiden voyage of my recently acquired Silver Stud for Frank Wright, Veldtschoen shoes. Frank Wright manufactured shoes for the British military, and some of their history can be found here:

https://classicshoesformen.com/the-...t-officers-zug-grain-veldtschoen-derby-41-5d/

Veldtschoen, is the Dutch word for "field shoe" and were perfected by British shoe manufacturers as the cheery rainy weather of England and the Scottish highlands made waterproof footwear ever so necessary. They were believed to have been invented for the Boer war in South Africa, and worn extensively by British and Commonwealth (including Canadian) forces during the rainy seasons.

Here is an explanation of Veldtschoen construction: https://www.shoepassion.com/shoe-encyclopaedia/production-methods/veldtschoen/

So on a rainy day, I took them out for a wear. They are stiff and sturdy in feel. The leather soles and nailed leather heels... I'd like to add a rubber sole protector at some point and rubber heels. But if the military could wear them as is, shouldn't I?

View attachment 1689528 View attachment 1689529 View attachment 1689530 View attachment 1689531 View attachment 1689532 View attachment 1689533
Henceforth I shall think of you as the Silver Stud!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm getting older and I like looking at older things. Antiques, not women. A few days ago I was in an antique shop and I ran across a box full of beer openers and a variety of shoe horns. No Florsheim horns, but I did find these two.

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanover shell to complement our leader's recent finds.

A cobbler did some upgrades with sole protectors, toe taps, grommets, and new French binding.

These are 9eee. So I wear no show socks and then dress socks, which makes everything perfectly snug.

The winter comes quickly here so gotta wear my shoes when possible.

Wishing everyone a relaxing weekend ahead.

20211022_081036.jpg
20211022_081030.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanover shell to complement our leader's recent finds.

A cobbler did some upgrades with sole protectors, toe taps, grommets, and new French binding.

These are 9eee. So I wear no show socks and then dress socks, which makes everything perfectly snug.

The winter comes quickly here so gotta wear my shoes when possible.

Wishing everyone a relaxing weekend ahead.

View attachment 1690092 View attachment 1690093
I am just out the door for a hair cut and I pulled out this pair to wear. Sheppards by Hanover. Glad you got the memo Ken.

IMG_7318.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am just out the door for a hair cut and I pulled out this pair to wear. Sheppards by Hanover. Glad you got the memo Ken.

View attachment 1690153

The Queen's communication system is fairly effective and timely. She is back at work.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New to me pair of Taylor-Made Imperials, which I bought off of @sam67 I wore them as-is out of the box because I was excited. They're now in line for a full renovation.

View attachment 1690179

The Scotch grain LWB is classic, but I had to look hard to find a pair. Fortunately, an Alden retailer had that makeup.

IMG_0980.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads