• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a few pairs of slacks today at Goodwill. One pair has cuffs. They all need to be hemmed.

What's the general rule on cuffed slacks these days?

The age-old rule is cuffs on pleated front pants, and no cuffs on flat front pants. But rules are made to be broken if you prefer cuffs with flat or no cuffs with pleats.

For the most part, I'm cuff free these days since almost all my suits and trousers are flat front. But I did have my seersucker suit pants cuffed because the fabric is light enough, it needs the extra weight to drape correctly.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday. American made Dexter's called to service. Sole protectors were added to provide additional traction. I recently binged purchased Gustin selvedge. Definitely need to get them tailored as I cannot master the rolling. Maybe leave 1 inch for a slight cuff to show off the selvedge badge.

20211013_080038.jpg
20211013_080033.jpg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday. American made Dexter's called to service. Sole protectors were added to provide additional traction. I recently binged purchased Gustin selvedge. Definitely need to get them tailored as I cannot master the rolling. Maybe leave 1 inch for a slight cuff to show off the selvedge badge.
Now THOSE are cuffs!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this near NOS pair of Frank Wright "Silver Stud" Veldtschoens arrive today, UK 8, but they fit like a wide US size 9. Nice shoes. I have been looking for a pair Veldtschoens in my size for awhile now but these are one size too small. They likely date to the early 70's. If I only had a piece of dark green velvet I could post these and sell them for huge Euros!

IMG_7110.jpg
IMG_7111.jpg
IMG_7112.jpg
IMG_7113.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non-vintage shoe related post, but I used a vintage machine.

I took Mrs. smfdoc on a little road trip several weeks back to see the mansions in Newport, RI. We stopped in to a sewing shop and she instantly honed in on a pillow that is made for the holidays.

IMG_0777.JPG

Sadly, it was not for sale as it was a model they had out to promote an evening class where all of the attendees would make their own. Not being a local, that was out of the question. So the wife wandered off and I went through the shelves, found the fabric used for the pillow and bought a sufficient supply. I now had the ingredients to feed in to my vintage Singer 500A, known as the "Rocketeer." Made in 1962 when all of America was enamored with the space race and aerodynamic shapes.

IMG_0955.jpg

Using the earlier picture I worked some measurements and got to work.

IMG_0953.jpg

Mrs. smfdoc now has her pillow and a big smile on her face. The lesson in this is you are lucky when you can give your spouse something they really want and do it for less than $40.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this near NOS pair of Frank Wright "Silver Stud" Veldtschoens arrive today, UK 8, but they fit like a wide US size 9. Nice shoes. I have been looking for a pair Veldtschoens in my size for awhile now but these are one size too small. They likely date to the early 70's. If I only had a piece of dark green velvet I could post these and sell them for huge Euros!

View attachment 1684665 View attachment 1684666 View attachment 1684667 View attachment 1684668

Did someone say 9 wide???????

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-vintage shoe related post, but I used a vintage machine.

I took Mrs. smfdoc on a little road trip several weeks back to see the mansions in Newport, RI. We stopped in to a sewing shop and she instantly honed in on a pillow that is made for the holidays.

View attachment 1684685

Sadly, it was not for sale as it was a model they had out to promote an evening class where all of the attendees would make their own. Not being a local, that was out of the question. So the wife wandered off and I went through the shelves, found the fabric used for the pillow and bought a sufficient supply. I now had the ingredients to feed in to my vintage Singer 500A, known as the "Rocketeer." Made in 1962 when all of America was enamored with the space race and aerodynamic shapes.

View attachment 1684691

Using the earlier picture I worked some measurements and got to work.

View attachment 1684696

Mrs. smfdoc now has her pillow and a big smile on her face. The lesson in this is you are lucky when you can give your spouse something they really want and do it for less than $40.

Your talents are only overshadowed by your leadership skills.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1684665 View attachment 1684666 View attachment 1684667 View attachment 1684668

Hopefully spousal customs will be at the workplace when these arrive. I already have another pair of Dacks LWBs incoming from @mariusscott .
I'm pretty sure they can't be worn with suits. But if they fit, I will wear them for sure. My first pair of Veldtschoens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads