• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 99% of my leather rebuilds, I ask for JR. I will only ask for a cheaper house leather if I am having a sole protector added. Having shoes rebuilt is my second hobby.
Fear not - There are great alternatives out there. Check out Bakers out of the UK and Garat out of France. I prefer Bakers to JR and opt for them on shoes I have made if given the choice.

Interestingly JR seems to have the most popularity and notoriety amongst enthusiasts who are having shoes re-crafted but Bakers would likely beat them out among those placing new bespoke orders. Give them a shot.

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
Since we discussed them recently, I’ve chosen the Mason Velvet-Eze today. Rock solid construction. Materials a notch below the better brands. Very comfortable, thanks to the velvet-eze cushioned insole.

View attachment 1684182
View attachment 1684183
Mason really did have something going. Never handled a pair of Hanover or Florsheim (which I'm sure are significantly nicer) but my Executive Imperials feel every bit as solid as the Allen Edmonds I've handled, and are much more heavily built. I agree that the materials aren't great all around but they've got it where it counts. The uppers on mine are full grain, decent linings, soles seem pretty good, and the O'Sullivans heels are really durable and have great traction. They made a quality shoe for the everyman and I think that's more than respectable.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore Hanover LB Sheppards for good luck, then a Salvation Army coughed up some AE MacNeils (9D) and catch and release on vintage Church’s black shortwings.
5569D933-0580-453B-803C-1CE5D14FD301.jpeg

Let the Church’s go due to condition, price ($20) and black shortwings being slow movers in my experience.
96328BBB-669D-4A56-90A3-575AB9A0B7B8.jpeg
D0DE07FA-1AAA-41EB-BC40-5DD3E5B10B7C.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a few pairs of slacks today at Goodwill. One pair has cuffs. They all need to be hemmed.

What's the general rule on cuffed slacks these days?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fear not - There are great alternatives out there. Check out Bakers out of the UK and Garat out of France. I prefer Bakers to JR and opt for them on shoes I have made if given the choice.

Interestingly JR seems to have the most popularity and notoriety amongst enthusiasts who are having shoes re-crafted but Bakers would likely beat them out among those placing new bespoke orders. Give them a shot.

Other shoe enthusiasts have mentioned Baker. I will definitely give them a try. Garat as well.

Cobblers have mentioned Black Forest ans GR from Germany as decent.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a few pairs of slacks today at Goodwill. One pair has cuffs. They all need to be hemmed.

What's the general rule on cuffed slacks these days?

The universal rule: There are no rules. Wear what you want.

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dack’s kudu wholecuts.
EE2F380A-629D-4D0C-BA87-0EE4F7C58345.jpeg
000432F0-0900-4B5E-BC2A-3796ED901B7E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads