• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silver13gt

Reaction score
A couple of my vintage Florsheim 93602 pairs. My favorite style.
769E1E90-DB03-41B5-BE17-C6B6409B46E8.jpeg
FDC72F26-925D-4F8D-BC6A-F1C8D1FDF8F6.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi folks. I've been reading through old posts here for a few days now, and this thread is pretty much the only reason I decided to join SF. My first pair of vintage shoes were some funky buffalo calf Dexters and my second pair (miUSA Mason Executive Imperial LWBs) is on their way. Really looking forward to spending time here! (Hope everything posts correctly. I'm new to this.) View attachment 1674065 View attachment 1674066

Welcome, welcome. What size do you wear? We can't properly weasel you into many more pairs if we don't know that.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this pair of "The Coward Shoe" woven Oxfords today. Coward Shoes was a New York retailer dating back to the 19th century, and I believe they were around until quite recently. In the 40's and 50's they had stores in Greenwich Village, Brooklyn, the Empire State building and in Boston, MA.

I believe this pair to be from the 1950's although they could be earlier. Attached below is an advert from 1942. Not the exact shoe, but close. I see this style of shoe quite often in Canadian adverts from the 50's. They are my size and I bought them to wear them. Cool casual.

s-l1600 (5).jpg
Coward shoe 1942.JPG

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
Welcome, welcome. What size do you wear? We can't properly weasel you into many more pairs if we don't know that.
Thank you!! A pleasure to be here. I've not been Brannocked but from tracings I'm between an 8EE and an 8.5E. I wear vintage 8.5D pretty comfortably. Need to add that to my profile info I think. I realized recently that I get much more enjoyment from a sub-$50 vintage pair and all the ensuing restoration, research and "archeology", than I would from a brand new pair of high-end shoes. So I've gone down the same road as I did with watches and fountain pens before. In my opinion you get far more bang for the buck from vintage stuff, not just in terms of quality but in the entertainment value. Of course, my journey has only just begun.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you!! A pleasure to be here. I've not been Brannocked but from tracings I'm between an 8EE and an 8.5E. I wear vintage 8.5D pretty comfortably. Need to add that to my profile info I think. I realized recently that I get much more enjoyment from a sub-$50 vintage pair and all the ensuing restoration, research and "archeology", than I would from a brand new pair of high-end shoes. So I've gone down the same road as I did with watches and fountain pens before. In my opinion you get far more bang for the buck from vintage stuff, not just in terms of quality but in the entertainment value. Of course, my journey has only just begun.

The key is to find the many sizes you're comfortable with.

I am 8.5 eee brannock, but also have 9eee, 9e, and 9.5d.

VAvintagewatches

Reaction score
The key is to find the many sizes you're comfortable with.

I am 8.5 eee brannock, but also have 9eee, 9e, and 9.5d.
Agreed. I think sizing is a lot more flexible than some people think: it comes down to "what's comfortable?" So far I've worn 8.5D and 9D comfortably in some brands, while others are too snug in 8.5D or way too loose in 9D.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8.5D? Looks like I've got some competition.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left these shell Alden for BB to fade in the sun for a week or so. For those following at home, this is the pair that I over conditioned, stripped with acetone, cleaned with Renomat, and was STILL scraping off caked-on polish with my fingernail. Last time I tried wearing them they were greasy looking and pretty unappealing.

Well, after baking in the hot Oregon sun (and getting wet from Mrs. Nealjpage's attempts to keep flowers alive), they looked like they were shot. The vamps were rough and looked like they were about to disintegrate. Thinking nothing ventured, nothing gained, I attacked them last night with some VSC and a sanding sponge. They acquiesced pretty quickly and began to take on a smooth texture. A few more applications of VSC (first on a rough towel followed with an old sock) removed a bit more old polish and resulted in a decent shine. I'll have to experiment some more with these, but they look tons better.

20210923_174032.jpg

20210923_174002.jpg

I might have to leave them in the sun for another week.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this pair of "The Coward Shoe" woven Oxfords today. Coward Shoes was a New York retailer dating back to the 19th century, and I believe they were around until quite recently. In the 40's and 50's they had stores in Greenwich Village, Brooklyn, the Empire State building and in Boston, MA.

I believe this pair to be from the 1950's although they could be earlier. Attached below is an advert from 1942. Not the exact shoe, but close. I see this style of shoe quite often in Canadian adverts from the 50's. They are my size and I bought them to wear them. Cool casual.

View attachment 1674136 View attachment 1674137
There are few styles cooler than these mid century weaves in my opinion, very nice pair!

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a year and a half of wearing little more than slippers all day and some sort of athletic shoe for the occasional run to Costco, I’m finding that I’m now more attuned to how well (or poorly) my various dress shoes fit.

I say this after a few weeks of wearing AE Polos and Nassaus on the 4 last, which isn’t great for me. But today I put on a non-vintage pair of AE McAllisters and remembered how well the 5 last works for my foot. I may end up spinning out a number of shoes that ”kind of” fit, but not well, now that I have a lower tolerance for ill-fitting shoes.

NOTE: I also ordered a smaller shoe stretcher to help adjust some shoes and I acquired one of the ball and ring stretching tools, so I’m also well equipped to modify some shoes if it’s a minor fit issue.

Last edited:

happypebble

Reaction score
You never know what's in that eBay box...gem? Disaster? This is a pair of Sears Gold Bond captoes that came out of the box looking dirty, worn, sad. Here they are after a good scrub with saddle soap, rinse, layers of conditioner and new laces. They look better, wear notwithstanding, and I think they'll work. Seller thought they were size 13; I don't see any markings inside, but I'm guessing from fit they're about a 13C. In case you can't read the crappy cellphone photos, the heels say "Gold Bond, sold only by Sears Roebuck and Co." and the inside says "Gold Bond/Instant Comfort/Genuine Calfskin/Pre-Flexed". Any guesses as to age?

Attachments

• 20210924_035727.jpg
    20210924_035727.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210924_035649.jpg
    20210924_035649.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210924_035605.jpg
    20210924_035605.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210924_035510.jpg
    20210924_035510.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When the prosecutor gears up for a Friday trial and wants a conviction, I respond.

Ritchie shoes made in Canada. Hope your Friday is less dramatic.

20210924_074550.jpg
20210924_074559.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads