• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
current shot of Dwight Eisenhower’s shoes from Gettysburg. I can’t make out the brand. Hanover PA is not too far away....
09AF004F-AE8C-4FF5-9327-EC0B12C1FFD6.jpeg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on campus today. Opted for the 1960’s era AE MacNeil. These have the AE “v-cleat” — which is actually a round peg.

E0D58EBA-CA95-4D46-9A36-FA42C11D6E8B.jpeg

B66677DF-3377-417C-AE5E-08A87D39959D.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93605s for a concert tonight.
FDA31971-3FF4-4124-AA5D-1D21B3C139DC.jpeg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a best way to remove the water stain from the right shoe here? These are AE Park Aves in walnut.
DFF432FC-CFA6-4907-8F5E-3350D65445B3_1_201_a.jpeg

And yes, they're thrifted from a couple of days ago. The Patagonia jacket, too. I put the black wingtips back on the shelf. It occurs to me that wearing the C&J captoes I found the day before may have brought me luck.
IMG_6518.JPG

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
T(GH)IF.
F138F335-711D-4B5B-8D30-D08BE742913B.jpeg
A80C541B-1137-4A7F-BE53-EBEE07E374EC.jpeg

Attachments

• A069A812-3CE8-46CD-B906-C81D0CBFCA71.jpeg
    A069A812-3CE8-46CD-B906-C81D0CBFCA71.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 4

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a best way to remove the water stain from the right shoe here? These are AE Park Aves in walnut.
View attachment 1649559
And yes, they're thrifted from a couple of days ago. The Patagonia jacket, too. I put the black wingtips back on the shelf. It occurs to me that wearing the C&J captoes I found the day before may have brought me luck.
View attachment 1649563
My guess is that you could try cleaning them a saddle soap and rehydrating them. If that doesn’t work, I would soak them. There’s a way to just soak the uppers without doing anything to the soles. as a last resort, you can strip and we dye them.

right_hook

Reaction score
View attachment 1649559
View attachment 1649563

Put trees in the shoes.
Get some soft sponge and use it to soak upper with water. Just deep it in water and rub the shoes thoroughly till they evenly soaked.
Then hit them with some leather cleaner/soap. We can see that they beg for good cleaning.
Then let them dry. You'll definitely see the improvement in terms of leather look and shape because of water treatment and cleaning.
Then you usual routine of conditioning and polishing.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up these S.E Dacks "Professional" golf shoes today (1952-1958); size 7.5D. I will have them resoled with period correct nailed heels and then sell them for far less than what I have into them. But they are such a fine looking and rare shoe, I could not let them languish. Look at the detail on the cleats! Original Dacks shoe trees too. The S.E. Dacks line was Dack's highest quality shoe in the 50's.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Capture.JPG

right_hook

Reaction score
Thanks guys. These have new soles, heels and taps front and back and are basically flawless except for these stains. A great blank canvas. The before pic:
View attachment 1649654

Show us the results then. I'm sure you'll be fine considering your knowledge, experience and vast variety of shoe care products. They should look like new in the end.
P.S. some shoes have different finishes. In some cases it would help to "open" the leather to even colour and clean properly. You can use acetone or moderately stiff brush with soap.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Hi

I have come to be proficient or at least competent in cleaning uppers. I still struggle with the the soles, in general the bottom of the shoe namely the outsole, welts and heels...
I purchased the Fiebing's Leather Sole & Heel Edge Dressing, both black and brown and ... didn't like these. They transform the sole in a plasticky thing... disconnected from the shoe. I am trying regular shoe paste but not satisfied just yet; perhaps I need to be patient or/and need... knowledge? know-how?
I would like the collective to share their protocols, tricks and tweaks for soles, welt etc. Looking at the better looking jobs here and it is clear that sole and welt make the difference.

Peace

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about soles too much, but have put shoes with chewing gum on the soles in the freezer to make it easier to chip it off. For welts with contrast stitching I use Clorox 2 (non-chlorine bleach) applied by Q Tips and then scrub gently with a soft toothbrush and flowing water to brighten them up.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have come to be proficient or at least competent in cleaning uppers. I still struggle with the the soles, in general the bottom of the shoe namely the outsole, welts and heels...
I purchased the Fiebing's Leather Sole & Heel Edge Dressing, both black and brown and ... didn't like these. They transform the sole in a plasticky thing... disconnected from the shoe. I am trying regular shoe paste but not satisfied just yet; perhaps I need to be patient or/and need... knowledge? know-how?
I would like the collective to share their protocols, tricks and tweaks for soles, welt etc. Looking at the better looking jobs here and it is clear that sole and welt make the difference.

Peace

These days I usually just put Bick 4 on almost everything. If the soles are leather, they get Bick 4 too.

For welts, unless I'm doing the full saddle soap, water and electric toothbrush -- I will just have some Bick 4 on a small round polish applicator brush like one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y75W5LC And scrub the welts and stitching a bit.

On the sole edges, if they need a bit of color touch up I use pen-style edge dressing pens that make it really easy and neat. The ones I have are by Saphir, but it seems like other companies make these too. Much easier than bottles and brushes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads