• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The good moderators of the Style Forum have singled out the Vintage thread on the main page again. This is the 4th or 5th time in the past 5 years and we are happy to see new people with our interest drop by. So welcome to those new to this thread. Feel free to ask questions or PM some of the regulars when you are contemplating pulling the trigger on some pair you spotted on Ebay. Sometimes old shoes are vintage and a real find and other times they are just old shoes. We will help you figure out the difference. The only "rules" around here are to be pleasant, don't troll and keep the thread a nice place to visit.

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 8.25.59 AM.png

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good moderators of the Style Forum have singled out the Vintage thread on the main page again. This is the 4th or 5th time in the past 5 years and we are happy to see new people with our interest drop by. So welcome to those new to this thread. Feel free to ask questions or PM some of the regulars when you are contemplating pulling the trigger on some pair you spotted on Ebay. Sometimes old shoes are vintage and a real find and other times they are just old shoes. We will help you figure out the difference. The only "rules" around here are to be pleasant, don't troll and keep the thread a nice place to visit.

View attachment 1645412
Doc, do we have stats on how many unique visitors the thread has in a typical day?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doc, do we have stats on how many unique visitors the thread has in a typical day?

Not that I know of. I am sure that is a metric watched by the SF moderators, but unknown to us. Or if it is, it is unknown to me.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1645412

A real testament to your leadership, and the regulars who make this thread so awesome.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sockless (well, no-show) in my Florsheim NSTs. I’m liking this look on hot days.
6C0B0E1F-1924-46E0-92C1-834BC55E91D7.jpeg
AD5B00D9-AB5D-4656-A726-C2AA0BDFDB61.jpeg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not vintage, but Cambridge is an old town and it’s Wingtip Wednesday, so partial credit?
E9E301A4-86DA-47F4-9BAA-2806082F7934.jpeg

Oh, and one of my pairs made the Styleforum front page? Man I didn’t have a speech ready or anything! Mr. Alan McAfee would be so honored.
33F60029-A1D2-4CB9-9D40-D66996A5C153.jpeg

Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentleman, this is a non vintage shoe inquiry, my apologies for that but I need your help.

Yesterday I found a greasy french fry sitting on the vamp of my Cobbler Union beloved Utah Calf chukkas. I notice the stain 5 minutes after the fry's landing.

I have poured cornstrach for two nights buy the stain remains there. Any recomendation? Should I use a soft solvent like water and alcohol o water and white vinegar? Saddle soap?

Your comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you all.

Utah 2.jpg

Utah 1.jpg

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentleman, this is a non vintage shoe inquiry, my apologies for that but I need your help.

Yesterday I found a greasy french fry sitting on the vamp of my Cobbler Union beloved Utah Calf chukkas. I notice the stain 5 minutes after the fry's landing.

I have poured cornstrach for two nights buy the stain remains there. Any recomendation? Should I use a soft solvent like water and alcohol o water and white vinegar? Saddle soap?

Your comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you all.

Utah 2.jpg

Utah 1.jpg
Is the corn starch working at all?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the corn starch working at all?

Hello

It has removed the 40% of the stain. Cornstarch is recomended as the first and harmless option and I have used it before succesfully but it seams that the leather has absorved lots of fat.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello

It has removed the 40% of the stain. Cornstarch is recomended as the first and harmless option and I have used it before succesfully but it seams that the leather has absorved lots of fat.
I'd say stay at it until you get a different comment. That's one thing I've learned with clothes. Keep doing it until it doesn't work.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This PTB found me today in the thrift store. I thought it might need some color polish but all I did was renomat (zero old polish on it), renovateur, and neutral polish. It amazes me how quality leather and Saphir react to each other!
64919502734__89918A92-06F2-4F5E-BF80-6C6DB67CE78B-preview.JPG
F1B11352-7993-4DE4-9E9C-5E9FF220A916.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals.

39A900F1-6307-41AA-BAD7-05C7530127DD.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads