• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kieth Highlanders today. Odd name for a shoe. Sounds like the name of a guy anyone of us went to high school with or an intergalactic explorer. At any rate, I really like these.
0892D151-1934-4E5D-A0BB-9A6D0BFFA626.jpeg
4B565524-2994-49A4-B2D1-60462C44F4AE.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have rich clients, so I've actually never been to a black tie event. If I do go, I guess I'll have to wear one of my black captoes.

The only time I've worn a tux was for my wedding.
Come to NYC, I'll sucker you into one of these events. You can wear captoes, but no brogues - you wouldn't want to look like one of those bloody Windsor (aka Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) cads.

(Oh yeah, I went there.)

happypebble

Reaction score
Come to NYC, I'll sucker you into one of these events. You can wear captoes, but no brogues - you wouldn't want to look like one of those bloody Windsor (aka Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) cads.

(Oh yeah, I went there.)
Oh, you mean those Germans masquerading as English! *cough*

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get that. I’ve been there. I usually try to imagine how bad I’d feel if I didn’t get them. More often than not, the answer is “not that bad at all.” If I have pairs that don’t speak to me I don’t want to wear them that much but I feel like I have to because, well, I paid money for them. But when I wear them I’m not wearing one of 25 others pairs I love. I don’t have an answer, just a mesh through which you might strain your thinking. Good luck.

This is a good point, and something to always keep in mind.

I am not wanting for shoes and have many pairs that I truly enjoy wearing. So anything "meh" is detracting from chances to wear the great pairs.

Anyway, the seller took down the listing early, so I guess he sold them elsewhere. No worries. No loss for me ;)

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boom!

20210625-01.jpg

20210625-02.jpg

Absolutely stunning pair. Unfortunately spousal customs intercepted and immediately exclaimed that this is the upteenth pair of the -same- type of shoe I already have -- completely missing my pleas as to how unique this pair is.

They are 2 widths too narrow for me, and sure enough I cannot even get my feet into them. Rather than forcing it, I will pick up a can of shoe stretcher spray (I don't want to take a chance on home remedies with this pair) and see if I can stretch them enough to be wearable. ?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boom!

View attachment 1630008

View attachment 1630009

Absolutely stunning pair. Unfortunately spousal customs intercepted and immediately exclaimed that this is the upteenth pair of the -same- type of shoe I already have -- completely missing my pleas as to how unique this pair is.

They are 2 widths too narrow for me, and sure enough I cannot even get my feet into them. Rather than forcing it, I will pick up a can of shoe stretcher spray (I don't want to take a chance on home remedies with this pair) and see if I can stretch them enough to be wearable. ?
Those are amazing. Wow I hope they work out.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Boom!

View attachment 1630008

View attachment 1630009

Even better than the listing photos! Absolutely love those. Sure hope you can get give them enough of a stretch. I have only minimal experience stretching shell but on brand new shell I have had some luck with using neatsfoot oil to soften up the leather a little (not too much!!) then using slightly oversized shoe trees for a LONG time. Your pair may be soft enough that the neatsfoot is unnecessary. Consult @CWOyaji since he seems to be old hat with this initiative. I'm not crazy about stretching shoes of any kind just because I prefer the fit to be good from the get go. Good luck!!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93602. Just landed from the bay. Not bad. Paid $100. Will replace heel toplift and enjoy for a while before a full resole. 1988 I think. Nail density on heel seems too spaced for 78…

225A8284-7F20-47DA-A925-2EBDC3A50B70.jpeg
6A0F036E-52C4-49CF-9ABC-2B8B2D588249.jpeg
B8B6D5A2-1605-4050-A7B9-1C556A9B91B0.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are a beautiful pair. I, personally, would not be in an excessive hurry to change the soles and heels. But that is just me.
I’m too clumsy to walk on the suicide heels :)

What’s funny is the “9.99” in faded marker on the sole. Someone got a thrift deal!

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even better than the listing photos! Absolutely love those. Sure hope you can get give them enough of a stretch. I have only minimal experience stretching shell but on brand new shell I have had some luck with using neatsfoot oil to soften up the leather a little (not too much!!) then using slightly oversized shoe trees for a LONG time. Your pair may be soft enough that the neatsfoot is unnecessary. Consult @CWOyaji since he seems to be old hat with this initiative. I'm not crazy about stretching shoes of any kind just because I prefer the fit to be good from the get go. Good luck!!
I think the most important factor in widening shell is the suppleness of the material, which appears to be very good in this pair. @Oshare here's hoping for a successful result!
[EDIT] Here's that pair of B to D 97626s that I thrifted and had resoled with JR after making sure the fit was right. Three years later and going strong.
747165A4-925C-44D5-B789-FB7AD4267D29_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads