• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lovely and creative wife has come up with a verb to capture my vintage-shoe related activities:

to shoe; shoeing (v. to engage in any vintage shoe related activity, including, but not limited to purchasing, selling, scrolling through eBay listings, shoe maintenance, reading a vcleat.com article for the 12th time, and corresponding with other enthusiasts).

Examples: “Are we going to watch a movie tonight or are going to shoe?”; “Our children need attention. Do you need to shoe right now?”;

present participle examples: “Quit shoeing and do the dishes!” “Are you helping the boys get ready for bed or are you shoeing?”

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those are pretty amazing. I’m glad they are not in my size as that would cause me to really consider how much money I’m willing to spend on a pair of shoes.

Sadly it looks like a pair in your size won't be on ebay anytime soon.

IMG_5972.JPG

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect shoe for black tie wear, imo. I intensely dislike traditional formal shoes. This is much better. Glad to see that you stepped up your sock game for the occasion. ;)
I have 3 different shoes I wear with black tie, depending on my mood (generally I have about 4-5 events a year, so I don’t like having just one pair of formal shoes).

I have my afore mentioned Carlyle’s:
q18A25R.jpg
And my 1987 AE Dover’s (when a plain toe just isn’t enough):
epaAMQH.jpg

And thanks to @smfdoc , I have these mega-bling patent leather Florsheim’s from 1989ish:

eEI4yia.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 different shoes I wear with black tie, depending on my mood (generally I have about 4-5 events a year, so I don’t like having just one pair of formal shoes).

q18A25R.jpg
epaAMQH.jpg

And thanks to @smfdoc , I have these mega-bling patent leather Florsheim’s from 1989ish:

eEI4yia.jpg

I don't have rich clients, so I've actually never been to a black tie event. If I do go, I guess I'll have to wear one of my black captoes.

The only time I've worn a tux was for my wedding.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

q18A25R.jpg
epaAMQH.jpg

eEI4yia.jpg

I rarely go to black tie events, but I am prepared with 2 tuxedos and black patent leather Oxfords from Brooks Brothers. If I could find a pair of Florsheims, I'd be set!

I know some people frown upon anything other than patent leather or *gasp* opera pumps... but I think your 3 pairs are outstanding.

right_hook

Reaction score
I ride my bike early every morning in the hills around my house. Lately mountain lions have been killing and eating deer unusually close to us, including one instance I rolled by a couple of weeks ago, about a hundred yards from this very spot. So I keep my eyes peeled.
View attachment 1629497
But today something else caught my eye. See it?
Well that kind of luck deserves to be parlayed into something bigger, so I headed down to my local before hitting the grocery store just now and thrifted these AE McClains: View attachment 1629496
Not Cambridges, not vintage and not shell but they should do OK. And I managed to avoid being attacked by a crazy cougar. Which has happened before. Can’t get into it here but you know what I mean. 12D BTW.

I always have been amazed by your thrift skills. But I'm starting to suspect something now... You know, when those stories just starting to remind me Fort Boyard tv show.
You're riding your bike through the lions paths and find there a tenner. Then you're just riding on your bike into the store where the old wizard tell you something like:
"ooo, hello thrift master, as you've overcame the path, outsmarted the lions, found the prize and got here then just give me your tenner and take these beautiful Cambridges, of course in your size!"...

Ok then. Just a usual day.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I shall also show critters in the local area. My daughter in law took video of a black bear running across a field about a half mile from her house this morning. I was surprised it was so far out in the open. Just a couple of screen grabs.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

q18A25R.jpg
epaAMQH.jpg

eEI4yia.jpg
You are totally set for proms and your own wedding. Seriously, I like getting all fancy dressed up and wish I could attend more black tie events. Those are fantastic.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Not a usual day, but all legit including the money, critters and timeline. Receipt's in the last picture. And yeah we got lions.
Ok, I shall also show critters in the local area. My daughter in law took video of a black bear running across a field about a half mile from her house this morning. I was surprised it was so far out in the open. Just a couple of screen grabs.

D9664EED-A6B3-4C3F-A1C2-6DB73C9C7CDC.gif

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a usual day, but all legit including the money, critters and timeline. Receipt's in the last picture. And yeah we got lions.

That's exciting, especially compared to this entry in the police blotter in our Tuesday newspaper.

IMG_4581.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely go to black tie events, but I am prepared with 2 tuxedos and black patent leather Oxfords from Brooks Brothers. If I could find a pair of Florsheims, I'd be set!

I know some people frown upon anything other than patent leather or *gasp* opera pumps... but I think your 3 pairs are outstanding.
Why thank you. I also have a pair of uber-formal opera pumps, but I actually reserve those for my white-tie and tails rig. Every couple of years I have a white-tie event pop-up (actually, I have one coming up in November).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why thank you. I also have a pair of uber-formal opera pumps, but I actually reserve those for my white-tie and tails rig. Every couple of years I have a white-tie event pop-up (actually, I have one coming up in November).

Can you get me an invitation to one of these events? Surely I can't live a meaningful life without attending a black tie or white tie event.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads