• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation for sure but these are the AE Cambridges from a couple of weeks ago. Fellow shoe aficionados, if you can find a pair at a good price, buy them and don't look back.
IMG_6249.JPG

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation for sure but these are the AE Cambridges from a couple of weeks ago. Fellow shoe aficionados, if you can find a pair at a good price, buy them and don't look back.
View attachment 1629060
I had a pair. They are great. 65 last is a horrible on my feet.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should round out my camel skin shoe collection. I have a pair of PTDs and a pair of LWBs. Now these shortwings popped up on auction.

They are by Julius Marlow, an Australian maker I am not familiar with. Some Googling pointed to the Aussie thread here on SF, where people are saying the shoes are garbage... but the vintage stuff was better (surprise, surprise).

This pair has rubber "Crystal Soles" but the interior looks to be cotton drill and I'm wondering if they might be in the vintage category.

Thoughts anyone?

i-img1200x960-1552957686dftzij1560280.jpg

i-img1200x900-1552957720nnwzxm607398.jpg

i-img1200x900-1552957798lv1qby1553835.jpg

i-img1200x900-1552957807xm4e4l1560280.jpg

i-img1200x900-15529577755i33lg574924.jpg

Quantum17

Reaction score
We fantasize sudden changes in lives because we are bored. What if I win the jackpot? A radioactive spider bites our butts? Invisibility? See dead people?… Everything has been thought of. Originality is rare to come by. Mostly because our predecessors were bored far longer than us. In the olden days, it was easier to entertain. Things were simpler then. All the jester needed was some sort of pretty shiny distracting object, I imagine.

Presenting Florsheim 93605. This pair was my first vintage Florsheim that opened the flood gate. I am not a big fan of wax. For shells that still have acrylic coating, I find baby wipes work well to bring out a good shine. Not to the level of distracting shine, but still pretty shiny.
75DC0FEB-D4E9-4D69-A089-74C6A8D8BD30.jpeg
CEE8620C-1491-4FE7-B1E8-2D1CA1A502E0.jpeg
95854AAD-D680-4C86-AC43-609E906C2899.jpeg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We fantasize sudden changes in lives because we are bored. What if I win the jackpot? A radioactive spider bites our butts? Invisibility? See dead people?… Everything has been thought of. Originality is rare to come by. Mostly because our predecessors were bored far longer than us. In the olden days, it was easier to entertain. Things were simpler then. All the jester needed was some sort of pretty shiny distracting object, I imagine.

Presenting Florsheim 93605. This pair was my first vintage Florsheim that opened the flood gate. I am not a big fan of wax. For shells that still have acrylic coating, I find baby wipes work well to bring out a good shine. Not to the level of distracting shine, but still pretty shiny. View attachment 1629079 View attachment 1629080 View attachment 1629081
Plus it makes them smooth as a baby's butt.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should round out my camel skin shoe collection. I have a pair of PTDs and a pair of LWBs. Now these shortwings popped up on auction.

They are by Julius Marlow, an Australian maker I am not familiar with. Some Googling pointed to the Aussie thread here on SF, where people are saying the shoes are garbage... but the vintage stuff was better (surprise, surprise).

This pair has rubber "Crystal Soles" but the interior looks to be cotton drill and I'm wondering if they might be in the vintage category.

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 1629072

View attachment 1629068

View attachment 1629069

View attachment 1629070

View attachment 1629071
If the price is right I say: why not? I also say why not because it’s not my money. But those look cool and it would make you the king of camel skin shoes. ? ?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I check eBay incessantly. It’s borderline weird. I’m sure you have my idea what I’m talking about. So Saturday I decide that I’m going to leave my phone alone and get some stuff done around the house. I did. And these these sold. In 9 mins. In my size. That should teach me to abandon my obsession, even for a day.

right_hook

Reaction score

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 1629072

View attachment 1629068

View attachment 1629069

View attachment 1629070

View attachment 1629071

Their camel skin uppers look good and interesting. Some questions about rubber soles, plastic (?) welts and fiberboard (?) insoles though.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the price is right I say: why not? I also say why not because it’s not my money. But those look cool and it would make you the king of camel skin shoes. ? ?
Their camel skin uppers look good and interesting. Some questions about rubber soles, plastic (?) welts and fiberboard (?) insoles though.

The opening bid is only $34 and has a BiN for $49. So this is in "What the h___?" impulse buy territory.

The problem is I have 2 much nicer shoes inbound from the US and Canada (from fellow members) and I'm already on thin ice with spousal customs, so not sure if it's worth the risk for this pair that might be garbage.

Julius Marlow says their Crystal Sole came out in 1946, so the rubber sole doesn't preclude "vintage" status. Taking a wild guess from the tight SPI on the uppers and interior construction materials, I'm wondering if they might be worth a gamble. Still on the fence.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts anyone?

View attachment 1629072

View attachment 1629068

View attachment 1629069

View attachment 1629070

View attachment 1629071
I’m kinda mehhhhhhh on those.

First, the uppers look reasonably well put together, but I’m not crazy about the last. It might be like the old AE 4 last that always looked better on the foot than in pictures, but from the photos they’re very “70’s” looking to my eyes.

Then we have the interiors: the drill lining is fine, but that insole is suspect to me. It’s some kind of cellulose fiberboard, but is it heavy-duty Texon (like what you find in “flexible fiber insole” stamped Florsheim’s, or as the base for Poron insoles in modern shoes) or is it like the hand rip-able paper-board stuff (as found in late-era Hanover/Bostonian miUSA stuff that I sn’t stamped “All Leather”)?

Then we have those soles. Yeah, when it comes to non-leather soles, if it ain’t dainite, I don’t want it (but that’s just me).

I do think these are vintage, probably early/mid 80’s would be my guess. Personally, they’re a pass for me, but then again, my tastes are certainly questionable - so buy’em if you want’em. Just know they’re in the late-era (but not zombie-era of bonded leather horror) Florsheim Blue Label bucket for quality (possibly worse if they cheaped out on the insole, like Hanover started doing towards the end).

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m kinda mehhhhhhh on those.

First, the uppers look reasonably well put together, but I’m not crazy about the last. It might be like the old AE 4 last that always looked better on the foot than in pictures, but from the photos they’re very “70’s” looking to my eyes.

Then we have the interiors: the drill lining is fine, but that insole is suspect to me. It’s some kind of cellulose fiberboard, but is it heavy-duty Texon (like what you find in “flexible fiber insole” stamped Florsheim’s, or as the base for Poron insoles in modern shoes) or is it like the hand rip-able paper-board stuff (as found in late-era Hanover/Bostonian miUSA stuff that I sn’t stamped “All Leather”)?

Then we have those soles. Yeah, when it comes to non-leather soles, if it ain’t dainite, I don’t want it (but that’s just me).

I do think these are vintage, probably early/mid 80’s would be my guess. Personally, they’re a pass for me, but then again, my tastes are certainly questionable - so buy’em if you want’em. Just know they’re in the late-era (but not zombie-era of bonded leather horror) Florsheim Blue Label bucket for quality (possibly worse if they cheaped out on the insole, like Hanover started doing towards the end).

Thanks for your thoughts on this pair. I'm not immediately taken by them, which is why I haven't hit the BiN button yet.
The medallion isn't the what I'd call "beautiful". The nose is more squarish than what I prefer, but then again the camel skin LWBs I picked up have the same contour and I guess they don't look too horrible when I wear them.

I've got this pair on my watch list. If no one else bids, I may just drop a last second bid for the opening amount. At that price, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they are garbage... I've done worse.

If someone else snaps them up before me, I don't think I'll lose any sleep that way either.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts on this pair. I'm not immediately taken by them, which is why I haven't hit the BiN button yet.
The medallion isn't the what I'd call "beautiful". The nose is more squarish than what I prefer. At that price, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they are garbage... I've done worse.

If someone else snaps them up before me, I don't think I'll lose any sleep that way either.

For a second, I thought you were describing an old flame...

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The opening bid is only $34 and has a BiN for $49. So this is in "What the h___?" impulse buy territory.

The problem is I have 2 much nicer shoes inbound from the US and Canada (from fellow members) and I'm already on thin ice with spousal customs, so not sure if it's worth the risk for this pair that might be garbage.

Julius Marlow says their Crystal Sole came out in 1946, so the rubber sole doesn't preclude "vintage" status. Taking a wild guess from the tight SPI on the uppers and interior construction materials, I'm wondering if they might be worth a gamble. Still on the fence.
I get that. I’ve been there. I usually try to imagine how bad I’d feel if I didn’t get them. More often than not, the answer is “not that bad at all.” If I have pairs that don’t speak to me I don’t want to wear them that much but I feel like I have to because, well, I paid money for them. But when I wear them I’m not wearing one of 25 others pairs I love. I don’t have an answer, just a mesh through which you might strain your thinking. Good luck.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics