• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quantum17

Reaction score
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound? Happy Father’s Day to all dads out there, and to also to unaware dads.

Presenting a new addition to my hiding family, separated from sunlight and from my legit family. Big shout out to @vestbash who quickly ascend to my spouse’s top hit list. You are my partner in crime now. With no need of further introduction, I encourage you to check his eBay shop at shoeslikeclockwork. Plenty of gems to be found. It’s business out front and party at back. Wonderful gentleman to work with.
0B056008-6267-432F-93E1-593B61353F40.jpeg
9526615A-B912-42A7-9BEB-FC40A83EFA49.jpeg
B3825CDD-F645-498F-AAA6-337BEF41BBDE.jpeg
D1010CB5-CD69-4377-B2B3-361A08E4FBA4.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A pre-father's day get together, combined with a grandson's birthday party, are occasions for vintage footwear. Easy to reach for my current favorites in that department.

IMG_0455.jpg

570382B1-7517-4D11-BD3D-5F700FB3FE47.jpeg

Last edited:

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound? Happy Father’s Day to all dads out there, and to also to unaware dads.

Presenting a new addition to my hiding family, separated from sunlight and from my legit family. Big shout out to @vestbash who quickly ascend to my spouse’s top hit list. You are my partner in crime now. With no need of further introduction, I encourage you to check his eBay shop at shoeslikeclockwork. Plenty of gems to be found. It’s business out front and party at back. Wonderful gentleman to work with. View attachment 1627307 View attachment 1627308 View attachment 1627310 View attachment 1627311

Presenting a new addition to my hiding family, separated from sunlight and from my legit family. Big shout out to @vestbash who quickly ascend to my spouse’s top hit list. You are my partner in crime now. With no need of further introduction, I encourage you to check his eBay shop at shoeslikeclockwork. Plenty of gems to be found. It’s business out front and party at back. Wonderful gentleman to work with. View attachment 1627307 View attachment 1627308 View attachment 1627310 View attachment 1627311
Amazing that you have the brown and black pair. Wow. @vestbash is a vintage-shoe-addiction enabler of the finest sort. He's a great guy, fair, honest, and incredibly knowledgeable.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non shoe Vintage leather question - should I put Bicks on the rough side of these straps as well as the finished side? (So I won this accordion in an auction.....) (that is a Florsheim varsity in the pic so maybe I’m covered)
Thanks for your help.
0F67B393-19AD-459A-8190-238CB87F8DB8.jpeg
55B208C3-8631-42DC-95C7-9574CF44D041.jpeg

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non shoe Vintage leather question - should I put Bicks on the rough side of these straps as well as the finished side? (So I won this accordion in an auction.....) (that is a Florsheim varsity in the pic so maybe I’m covered)
Thanks for your help.
View attachment 1627356 View attachment 1627357
First, @smfdoc actually works leather, so he may have better guidance. IMHO, I would go from the grain side, not the split, but then again, that partially depends on how badly dried out they are. If you do both sides, wait a day or so before putting any strain on them.

(“So I won this accordion in an auction...” sounds like the start of a good joke.)

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a pair but I've checked them out. I think it's considered a 2nd tier vintage shoe. MiUSA & GYW. As with other brands quality is variable with newer ones probably not so great.
That was, back in the day, BA Mason’s top-line shoe, so I don’t think they were 2nd tier. Nowadays Mason Executive Imperials are a mishmash of stuff, including miChina GYW of highly indifferent quality (paperboard insoles and such … @smfdoc, at my request, dissected a pair of the miChina examples - I think he also has the real vintage ones, but don’t quote me on that).

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, @smfdoc actually works leather, so he may have better guidance. IMHO, I would go from the grain side, not the split, but then again, that partially depends on how badly dried out they are. If you do both sides, wait a day or so before putting any strain on them.

(“So I won this accordion in an auction...” sounds like the start of a good joke.)
I did the grain side and am waiting. Seems to help the split side too but that may be my imagination.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thanks for your help.
View attachment 1627356 View attachment 1627357

Yes, condition both sides. Closest analogue that I've dealt with is a thick leather strap on an old military canvas bag. It did great with conditioning both sides.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I did the grain side and am waiting. Seems to help the split side too but that may be my imagination.

I agree with @stook1. I would use Bick 4 on both sides. Could not hurt.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation.

Broke out the black shell MacNeils and the black Hugo Boss suit today. We finally held the memorial service for my father, who passed from COVID in February.

We had been waiting for my 13-year-old son to be fully vaccinated before traveling back to the Midwest. The only family members not vaccinated were the 10 great grandchildren under 10 years old. It truly is a miracle of modern science.

E6AFAA49-0775-4F11-B6CE-C2F1405AE35E.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation.

Broke out the black shell MacNeils and the black Hugo Boss suit today. We finally held the memorial service for my father, who passed from COVID in February.

We had been waiting for my 13-year-old son to be fully vaccinated before traveling back to the Midwest. The only family members not vaccinated were the 10 great grandchildren under 10 years old. It truly is a miracle of modern science.

View attachment 1627526
I’m so sorry for your loss. Be well, my brother.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage violation.

View attachment 1627526

I'm sorry for your loss.
Take care and please stay safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads