• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I know from a teardown perspective, they don't differ much from a current-era AE or Alden: leatherboard heel stack, 270 GYW construction, glued gemming for the rib, leather insole. They're not even remotely worth the money, given you can have better constructed Alden shell for the price of their Polished Binder (aka Polished Cobbler) stuff. For 900 to a 1000+ bucks, at least give me a leather heel stack. I'm not asking for hand fashioned holdfasts and hand welting, but I do expect something better than a leatherboard heel stack for something that costs over a 1000 freaking dollars.

IMHO, you want an English shoe, but don't want to get ripped off, I'd pick C&J every time over Church's (or EG's ready made line, for that matter).

CJ and EG are for moneybags like you. The rest of us peasants are thrifting and saving our nickles and dimes.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CJ and EG are for moneybags like you. The rest of us peasants are thrifting and saving our nickles and dimes.
Clarification, I was saying C&J over EG's ready made stuff (as they are also into corner cutting nowadays). I only have one pair of boring C&J captoes (and they're not handgrade, just the regular mass-produced stuff). I haven't worn them in years because, despite being beautifully made, they developed very bad heel slip and I never got around to remediating the issue.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did someone say Dack’s camel shortwings?
207C55A8-0C86-4F3D-9811-38ABAABB73D0.jpeg
FFFEE5F0-F8E5-4B96-B3B3-136280A3B6F7.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preston Soto put on video advice he game me about wax polish on shell. It works wonders. My 93605s would not shine at all until I tried this. Now they pop.

5B01BB57-4ECB-4515-97D7-07B8C68E1B97.jpeg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preston Soto put on video advice he game me about wax polish on shell. It works wonders. My 93605s would not shine at all until I tried this. Now they pop.

View attachment 1625074

I've done that a few times also, including putting wax on the vamps. Normally the advice is to not do that because the wax will show ugly cracks, but on shell I never noticed any cracking of the wax.

How do yours look after a bit of walking?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done that a few times also, including putting wax on the vamps. Normally the advice is to not do that because the wax will show ugly cracks, but on shell I never noticed any cracking of the wax.

How do yours look after a bit of walking?
Same. I applied a thin layer and there are no ugly cracks at all.the picture about if after wearing them for about 5 hours.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clarification, I was saying C&J over EG's ready made stuff (as they are also into corner cutting nowadays). I only have one pair of boring C&J captoes (and they're not handgrade, just the regular mass-produced stuff). I haven't worn them in years because, despite being beautifully made, they developed very bad heel slip and I never got around to remediating the issue.

For modern day stuff, I agree that C&J is hard to beat for value. They are not cheap for sure, but they are still quality shoes. While you can get cheaper GYW shoes from a variety of makers today, the leather quality is really the differentiator. Even Church's (at a similar price point to C&J) uses lower quality leather from what I see.

Of course, vintage is still #1.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on the negative impact of Prada on the brand’s previously noble identity. That said, my understanding is that the quality and design of many of their higher end/”Custom Grade” traditional dress shoes is still quite high; they are just a much smaller percentage of the brand’s sales now. My two favorite pairs of dress shoes are Florsheim 93605’s, and Church’s LWB on the legendary 73 last. Both manufactured in the early 80’s, and both perfection in their respective niches.

I'm not sure I've seen the Church's LWB. I have three pairs of shortwings from Church's in various flavors, but nary a longwing.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same. I applied a thin layer and there are no ugly cracks at all.the picture about if after wearing them for about 5 hours.
You can use wax on vamps, no problem. You just need to use a thin layer (don’t try to mirror up your vamp, lol). Never had issues with cracking or the like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads