• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok - mystery solved. I downloaded all the catalogs from the 80s and found the model in the spring of 85 catalog. Weird because the pair I found sure look like vintage color 8 even having double checked again it really seems to be the case. We'll find out for sure next week. ;)

eta: and the fall of 84... so appears to be a one year leather. I suppose it's possible that the model was reused for a mto pair from a different year but seems doubtful. the other oddity in this case is that there only appears to be a size and model number and layout of the print on the lining is different. I was under the impression that there would be the date/batch number thing during this time period like the 2nd pair that I found with the same model. curious indeed but I am done researching for now, haha.

View attachment 1624032
Apparently I need to refresh my browser more frequently.

Quantum17

Reaction score
Like @Oshare , I thought something happened to styleforum. Like it was being held hostage by some hackers. I was prepared to offer my services to extract it back. I have clients who have..... specific skills and specialties. They are known for their persuasive abilities.

So in the mean time, I went out for groceries in my 93602s. I bought these in NOS condition 4 years ago. For $180. At the time, I was going back and forth given the price. I asked our leaders for their input. @smfdoc and @davidVC smacked some sense into me. Thank goodness for them. Nowadays I see trash worthy pairs listed for 180.

A cobbler had to install rubber heels, toe taps, and explosion sole protectors. V-cleats are not for me.

View attachment 1624068 View attachment 1624069
That’s highway robbery for $180 NOS ? Definitely cannot find such price nowadays

Quantum17

Reaction score
She is well-travelled. I have seen her with different men from VA to NC. I would be lying if I said I weren’t attracted at first sight. But I’m a married man. What would my wife say? She’d never approve. She doesn’t understand. I am a passionate man. I have needs too… maybe a notch too far. Reeling it back ?

Presenting ‘59 Florsheim shell short wings balmoral. This is a rare model I don’t see often (and yet one of our brothers got a pair with extra cool brogue recently ? you know who you are). It’s tricky with vintage shell. In addition, it’s size 9.5C while I’m between D and E. Sometimes, betting on the pony wins. I am sending them to my trusted friend for a full recraft. I intend to have her in regular rotation. Consider these as before photos. Will update with the final product.
B1FDE7C0-5A2E-452F-BBB1-22B72E764EC8.jpeg
AB2DF709-D4D7-471A-BB4F-BC37A815A0A7.jpeg
02C610B8-D830-4DBC-B2A3-BCD064E18300.jpeg
6A553BA0-A353-44B4-A21E-29BE7C54E3C1.jpeg
4875D148-AEDA-4440-84C1-1B3E62C6405A.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Apparently I need to refresh my browser more frequently.

haha, no worries... the curiosity is killin' me at this point. It's really going to test my confidence in eyeballing shell. As far as the shoes, not a huge deal either way if they are exceptional quality calf so be it. But they really do seem like shell even despite the schite pics and model # confirmation.

1623605055653.png

1623604907195.png

1623604983723.png

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine it's rare to find vintage trees size 13 too. Very impressive.
Those trees are great for reshaping lumpy shell rolls and the overall fit of the shoes generally. After scrubbing the shoes under warm/hot running water and letting them dry with the trees in, I rubbed Collonil into the vamps while watching Netflix. Check this K Drama out if you haven't already:
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 10.37.43 AM.png

happypebble

Reaction score
Yeahhhh... I didn’t go back far enough in the catalogs, cause they’re in the 85 catalog. Despite the example above having an 86 date-stamp, they discontinued the 8793 in 86.

Good news is, they’ll be really nice calf. Bad news, not shell.

lGJFaJo.jpg
She is well-travelled. I have seen her with different men from VA to NC. I would be lying if I said I weren’t attracted at first sight. But I’m a married man. What would my wife say? She’d never approve. She doesn’t understand. I am a passionate man. I have needs too… maybe a notch too far. Reeling it back ?

Presenting ‘59 Florsheim shell short wings balmoral. This is a rare model I don’t see often (and yet one of our brothers got a pair with extra cool brogue recently ? you know who you are). It’s tricky with vintage shell. In addition, it’s size 9.5C while I’m between D and E. Sometimes, betting on the pony wins. I am sending them to my trusted friend for a full recraft. I intend to have her in regular rotation. Consider these as before photos. Will update with the final product.
View attachment 1624075 View attachment 1624076 View attachment 1624077 View attachment 1624078 View attachment 1624079
Well, those look great. Love all those nails in the heel. I'd be jealous if they were anything close to my size. Gentlemen: When time travel is perfected, one of us is going to have to go back 5 or 6 decades and put something in the water so that people's size 8 and 9 feet grow to modern sizes.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1624075 View attachment 1624076 View attachment 1624077 View attachment 1624078 View attachment 1624079

Jim McFarland?

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok - mystery solved. I downloaded all the catalogs from the 80s and found the model in the spring of 85 catalog. Weird because the pair I found sure look like vintage color 8 even having double checked again it really seems to be the case. We'll find out for sure next week. ;)

eta: and the fall of 84... so appears to be a one year leather. I suppose it's possible that the model was reused for a mto pair from a different year but seems doubtful. the other oddity in this case is that there only appears to be a size and model number and layout of the print on the lining is different. I was under the impression that there would be the date/batch number thing during this time period like the 2nd pair that I found with the same model. curious indeed but I am done researching for now, haha.

View attachment 1624032
Even if they are brown aniline calf that’s a really nice leather.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads