• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask spousal customs.
O0kXdDS.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@suitforcourt , is adding 8 pairs to my collection, in a single month, excessive?
Not excessive at all. A good farmer knows that a quiet growing season is followed by an intense harvest. I’m sure I read that on a fortune cookie long ago.
Ask spousal customs.

Answering as a fellow shoe addict: No.

Answering as legal counsel: Yes. You've jeopardized any chance of a clean divorce. But you've padded my retirement fund. Thank you.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I don't think so. We'll see... These were relatively inexpensive so I'm not gonna stress it but i'm not sure what to make of the model and it's a bit of a shot in the dark (pun intended) on the condition.

View attachment 1623696

Well'p... looks like I may have made a mistake on those saratoga loafers. By coincidence, a pair popped up in my ebay feed this morning with the same model # and they are calf. The ones I found def seem to be shell but maybe the low res photos fooled me. Hopefully they fit since a good deal on shell isn't such a great deal on a calf pair.

1623594052383.png

1623594093127.png

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well'p... looks like I may have made a mistake on those saratoga loafers. By coincidence, a pair popped up in my ebay feed this morning with the same model # and they are calf. The ones I found def seem to be shell but maybe the low res photos fooled me. Hopefully they fit since a good deal on shell isn't such a great deal on a calf pair.

View attachment 1624018

View attachment 1624019
Let’s hope they were mislabeled. Either way the Saratoga is a great shoe.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

View attachment 1624018

View attachment 1624019

Ok - mystery solved. I downloaded all the catalogs from the 80s and found the model in the spring of 85 catalog. Weird because the pair I found sure look like vintage color 8 even having double checked again it really seems to be the case. We'll find out for sure next week. ;)

eta: and the fall of 84... so appears to be a one year leather. I suppose it's possible that the model was reused for a mto pair from a different year but seems doubtful. the other oddity in this case is that there only appears to be a size and model number and layout of the print on the lining is different. I was under the impression that there would be the date/batch number thing during this time period like the 2nd pair that I found with the same model. curious indeed but I am done researching for now, haha.

1623598197660.png

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like @Oshare , I thought something happened to styleforum. Like it was being held hostage by some hackers. I was prepared to offer my services to extract it back. I have clients who have..... specific skills and specialties. They are known for their persuasive abilities.

So in the mean time, I went out for groceries in my 93602s. I bought these in NOS condition 4 years ago. For $180. At the time, I was going back and forth given the price. I asked our leaders for their input. @smfdoc and @davidVC smacked some sense into me. Thank goodness for them. Nowadays I see trash worthy pairs listed for 180.

A cobbler had to install rubber heels, toe taps, and explosion sole protectors. V-cleats are not for me.

20210613_105057.jpg
20210613_101009.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1624018

View attachment 1624019
Yeahhhh... I didn’t go back far enough in the catalogs, cause they’re in the 85 catalog. Despite the example above having an 86 date-stamp, they discontinued the 8793 in 86.

Good news is, they’ll be really nice calf. Bad news, not shell.

lGJFaJo.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads