• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-footwear violation, but I need to challenge @CWOyaji and his thrifting skills.

I present to you my $3 Seiko Japanese market chronograph from 1969. First chrono I've ever found, and I found it on accident at a small charity thrift store here that hasn't sold me anything for at least a year. When she told me the price I nearly tripped over myself in my rush to get my money out of my wallet.

View attachment 1623526

View attachment 1623527

View attachment 1623528

I'm sure this will never happen to me again so I have to gloat while I have the chance.
Nice find! I thrifted it's American market brother last year. Replaced the pusher gaskets and have been wearing since.
Screenshot 2021-06-12 082129.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My late father didn't go to thrift stores. But he always had some really nice watches. My grandpa was a fan of Omega which my brother took.

The GP is a gyromatic but it runs 5 minutes fast every day. I asked an horologist about fixing it. He offered to buy it from me, which I will never sell. Maybe one day I will get it fixed.

@wasmisterfu mentioned that GP has great stuff. Me, I'm more a Seiko range kinda guy.

View attachment 1623589
That’s a great watch. 5 mins off. Wow. Pay 20-30 bucks and get it regulated or 100 more than that to get it serviced.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too many people sharing my quirks, vintage shoes and watches. You guys are freaking me out. I thought I was weird and (more importantly) rare.
Edit: add in meme for illustration
View attachment 1623644
oh, it’s a thing. I love both. I know it’s a thing because my 10 year old son makes fun of me for my shoes and watches. I have may more of the former. It might be time to rebalance by addition.

happypebble

Reaction score
oh, it’s a thing. I love both. I know it’s a thing because my 10 year old son makes fun of me for my shoes and watches. I have may more of the former. It might be time to rebalance by addition.
You need to carefully instruct your offspring on the ins and outs of the vintage shoe game. EBay him a pair of vintage Florsheims. Sorry, son, your Reeboks have mysteriously disappeared.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-footwear violation, but I need to challenge @CWOyaji and his thrifting skills.

I present to you my $3 Seiko Japanese market chronograph from 1969. First chrono I've ever found, and I found it on accident at a small charity thrift store here that hasn't sold me anything for at least a year. When she told me the price I nearly tripped over myself in my rush to get my money out of my wallet.

View attachment 1623526
BTW here are the days of the week on the inner dial. It's showing Wednesday, which is the character for water in Japanese. :teach:
Sunday: 日 (Sun)
Monday: 月 (Moon)
Tuesday: 火 (Fire)
Wednesday: 水 (Water)
Thursday: 木 (Wood)
Friday: 金 (Gold)
Saturday: 土 (Earth)

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a great watch. 5 mins off. Wow. Pay 20-30 bucks and get it regulated or 100 more than that to get it serviced.

The horologist quoted me $300 (Canadian) to service. He charges 150 for a regular Seiko automatic.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW here are the days of the week on the inner dial. It's showing Wednesday, which is the character for water in Japanese. :teach:
Sunday: 日
Monday: 月
Tuesday: 火
Wednesday: 水
Thursday: 木
Friday: 金
Saturday: 土
Oh! I asked my son about that because he's interested in Japanese. He said it meant water, and since it was raining yesterday, he wondered if the watch somehow knew that. (Clearly it doesn't.) I will let him know.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My late father didn't go to thrift stores. But he always had some really nice watches. My grandpa was a fan of Omega which my brother took.

The GP is a gyromatic but it runs 5 minutes fast every day. I asked an horologist about fixing it. He offered to buy it from me, which I will never sell. Maybe one day I will get it fixed.

@wasmisterfu mentioned that GP has great stuff. Me, I'm more a Seiko range kinda guy.

View attachment 1623589

Very nice watch, sir! Once you get it properly regulated perhaps consider switching to a different type of strap. I think it would significantly enhance the look. That is unless the bracelet has sentimental value, which I could very much relate to.

I have a vintage omega moonphase watch that was given to my Dad by my great uncle so that he could pace his walk to elementary school in the early 50s. My grandparents had a sterling silver ID bracelet custom made into a watch bracelet by a jeweler at the time. So I have received the same sort of recommendation but there's no circumstance in which I'd change the bracelet given the history.

I'll try to post a pic for the thread later. Speaking of difficult servicing, I really need to find someone to service this watch and I am sure it is going to cost me a boat load of money because of the complications.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh! I asked my son about that because he's interested in Japanese. He said it meant water, and since it was raining yesterday, he wondered if the watch somehow knew that. (Clearly it doesn't.) I will let him know.
^Updating previous post with the other days' meanings, in case others are curious.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yeah, I concur, that looks like an 8783 Saratoga to me.

Strange... not sure what to make of it but they are apparently model 8793. I didn't realize this until they'd already shipped so I guess we'll find out in a couple of days. I can't seem to find a reference to that model and I checked a bunch of the old catalogs. Maybe an SMU or something? Dunno. ?‍♂️

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange... not sure what to make of it but they are apparently model 8793. I didn't realize this until they'd already shipped so I guess we'll find out in a couple of days. I can't seem to find a reference to that model and I checked a bunch of the old catalogs. Maybe an SMU or something? Dunno. ?‍♂️
Or the date stamp is partially faded, making the 8 look like a 9?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Or the date stamp is partially faded, making the 8 look like a 9?

I don't think so. We'll see... These were relatively inexpensive so I'm not gonna stress it but i'm not sure what to make of the model and it's a bit of a shot in the dark (pun intended) on the condition.

1623524501772.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads