• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a used shine box that included some old tins of Kiwi paste polish. I'm not sure what they used as a solvent back then but it smells like straight-up gasoline or kerosene. Wow. I think there's a pink elephant in the room with me.

View attachment 1612094

Kiwi uses naptha as a solvent.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t turpentine the usual solvent in paste shoe wax?

Be careful of those pink hephalumps. They get voracious around vintage shoes.

Turpentine was used until petroleum based stuff became more common in the 20s. Now only the good stuff uses turpentine, like saphir.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK OK I'm going to get with the program and fess up that my HS graduation year was 1978. It's only fair, since I used a senior discount just now to get the price on this stone mint Kiton shirt in my size down to $11.50 at the Humane Society thrift shop. While wearing the AE shell Leeds from yesterday.
View attachment 1612000
Retail on these is pretty astonishing

Alden whiskey shell saddles, purchased new, were cheaper than this shirt.

E89274E8-2912-4A53-9549-E19EFD203ADB.jpeg

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turpentine was used until petroleum based stuff became more common in the 20s. Now only the good stuff uses turpentine, like saphir.

Ah. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden whiskey shell saddles, purchased new, were cheaper than this shirt.

View attachment 1612167

I have never understood the price points by Tom Ford and Kiton. I appreciate well made clothing, nice materials, and even the brand. But $800+ for a dress shirt? I really don't get it.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's part of why saphir is such a better polish. The turpentine is better for the leather; however, too much turpentine on shell is bad, so use it sparingly on cordovan.

True. Saphir has a separate line for cordovan that smells noticeably different and leaves a different texture on the polished shoes. They state that the cordovan creams do not use turpentine.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. Saphir has a separate line for cordovan that smells noticeably different and leaves a different texture on the polished shoes. They state that the cordovan creams do not use turpentine.

Yep. It uses neetsfoot oil as its base. I always use the cordovan cream first before using a light waxing to protect the cordovan.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Wednesday forum pals. Mason Imperial shell for errands today. Poor lighting today. These are dark chocolate, but just look black in the images.

IMG_0371.jpg

Leiker

Reaction score
Florsheim Kenmoor in Bourbon Windsor Calf, vintage 1969

I've seen these called Guardsman but if you look at that catalog there are a number of variants on this style of boot, so I wonder if Guardsman was a particular model and later came into use to describe all similar Florsheim models?
Florsheim boots.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always looked old for my age. When I spent summers at the car factory with my dad, people thought I was his younger brother. We have a 35 year gap.

People thought I was my brother's father. We have a 3 year gap.

The most galling experience was when a client asked if my summer student was my child for "take your kid to work day."

My student was 25. I was an elderly 29. I guess I already looked like I was in my 40s+.

Sigh.
I’m a 1975 baby. Almost 46. I was moving some things out of my mother in law’s house in her retirement community a few weeks back. The woman who lives three doors down and across the street saw me from her bedroom window and swore I was 25. So through the eyes of a 70-something from 100 feet away I look almost half my age. I’m. going with that.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all of you that claim people think you are older than you are, I have the trump card. I’m 48. But, I have 13 grandchildren. My oldest daughter will be 36 this year.

No, I didn’t get started at 12. My wife is a little older than me. She got started early (not THAT early), and so I have 5 children (4 stepchildren). The kids go from 35 to 10 and some of the grandkids are older than my 10 year old son.

When people see a 13 year old calling me Papa Don, it definitely makes me seem older than I am — plus the salt and pepper hair doesn’t help.

In shoe-related news, I ordered Angelus Cordovan dye and will be trying my first dye job on Shell Cordovan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads