• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My man!

I finally finished working on this Hampden Model 2 108 D in flag, got the positional adjustment mostly sorted for 4 positions:
OpXGbqc.jpg

Was a real pain because the center wheel (of all things) pivot was broken (yet somehow the hole jewel wasn’t!?!). So I had salvage a center wheel out of a similar Model 2 parts movement, but then do a lot of manual (very careful) re-machining of the pivot due to tolerance differences.

Now I’m trying to salvage this Elgin which someone pumped motor oil into:

GTPAZlu.jpg

The balance hairspring might as well have been dipped in crazy glue. All that stuff that looks like rust is globs of congealed, dried oil. Naphtha didn’t do crap (nor did the cleaner), so I’m probably going to look into my chest of “de-correcting the grain” solvents. Hopefully I don’t have to re-shellac the pallet and impulse jewels.

</watch nerdery>

I don't know jack about servicing watch movements, although it sounds like a hobby that would be hugely rewarding, hugely frustrating, and aggravating to my wife for (n) reasons. All the more motivation to take it up some day....

But anyway, my lawn equipment abuse & repair experience might come in handy for your issue. Consider trying this stuff for your parts. I'd be willing to bet it's safe for your small parts (carbs use brass, steel, and aluminum) and I have found it to be insanely effective at stripping nasties off of carb parts and related paraphernalia.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK OK I'm going to get with the program and fess up that my HS graduation year was 1978. It's only fair, since I used a senior discount just now to get the price on this stone mint Kiton shirt in my size down to $11.50 at the Humane Society thrift shop. While wearing the AE shell Leeds from yesterday.
IMG_6006.JPG

Retail on these is pretty astonishing
Image 5-18-21 at 6.02 PM.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know jack about servicing watch movements, although it sounds like a hobby that would be hugely rewarding, hugely frustrating, and aggravating to my wife for (n) reasons. All the more motivation to take it up some day....

But anyway, my lawn equipment abuse & repair experience might come in handy for your issue. Consider trying this stuff for your parts. I'd be willing to bet it's safe for your small parts (carbs use brass, steel, and aluminum) and I have found it to be insanely effective at stripping nasties off of carb parts and related paraphernalia.

Ya know what, I’m gonna try that stuff. Can’t make it any worse; if I can’t get this oil off, I’m afraid this 111 year old movement is junk (can’t even use the parts as everything is gunked with this stuff).

Thanks for the suggestion.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Ya know what, I’m gonna try that stuff. Can’t make it any worse; if I can’t get this oil off, I’m afraid this 111 year old movement is junk (can’t even use the parts as everything is gunked with this stuff).

Cool, keep us posted. I mean... if it's really oil on there, I am pretty sure it's gonna work great for you. I've cleaned out jets from old, varnished to hell jets in carbs with good success (these days I am lazy and just buy new knock off Chinese carbs from amazon for like $15 and save the headache... but I digress).

Btw, that's like a gallons worth which is obviously WAY WAY more than you will need. That is unless you are servicing Flavor Flav's watches. Good luck!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK OK I'm going to get with the program and fess up that my HS graduation year was 1978. It's only fair, since I used a senior discount just now to get the price on this stone mint Kiton shirt in my size down to $11.50 at the Humane Society thrift shop. While wearing the AE shell Leeds from yesterday.
View attachment 1612000
Retail on these is pretty astonishing
That’s weird, I thought you were younger than me for some reason.

Wait, does that say 895 bucks?! WTFF?!?

I will spend big bucks on things like suits; I have bespoke English suites that cost a lot of money, that look like this:

dOthtc2.jpg

But I can’t fathom why you need a nine hundred dollar shirt (especially one that’s off the freakin rack).

That’s more than a nice pair of Shell Alden’s. That’s like 4 times what I pay for my top-line Brooks Brothers miUSA shirts.

What in the world makes any shirt (not woven with precious metals) worth nine hundred bucks????

Good on you for getting it for $11.50, as someone needs to offset such blatant thievery.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look young for my age (ask @Oshare or @friendlygoz, whom I've met in person), which is lucky and led to some amusing situations, especially when I was single again for a while in my 40's. And even in my 50's, when I twice got carded buying a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's (not Two Buck Chuck) then arrived home to find mail from my new best friends at the AARP in my mailbox. A pox on them.

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look young for my age (ask @Oshare or @friendlygoz, whom I've met in person), which is lucky and has led to some amusing situations, especially when I was single again for a while in my 40's. And even in my 50's, when I twice got carded buying a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's (not Two Buck Chuck) then arrived home to find mail from my new best friends at the AARP in my mailbox. A pox on them.
Don’t feel too bad, I’m 46 and the AARP sent me some info kit thing last year. I thought about being insulted... but then I was like “hellz yeah, send me that AARP card so I can get those discounts”.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look young for my age (ask @Oshare or @friendlygoz, whom I've met in person), which is lucky and has led to some amusing situations, especially when I was single again for a while in my 40's. And even in my 50's, when I twice got carded buying a bottle of wine at Trader Joe's (not Two Buck Chuck) then arrived home to find mail from my new best friends at the AARP in my mailbox. A pox on them.
Don’t feel too bad, I’m 46 and the AARP sent me some info kit thing last year. I thought about being insulted... but then I was like “hellz yeah, send me that AARP card so I can get those discounts”.

I've always looked old for my age. When I spent summers at the car factory with my dad, people thought I was his younger brother. We have a 35 year gap.

People thought I was my brother's father. We have a 3 year gap.

The most galling experience was when a client asked if my summer student was my child for "take your kid to work day."

My student was 25. I was an elderly 29. I guess I already looked like I was in my 40s+.

Sigh.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you put your parts in a jar of solvent and run it through a sonic cleaner?

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a used shine box that included some old tins of Kiwi paste polish. I'm not sure what they used as a solvent back then but it smells like straight-up gasoline or kerosene. Wow. I think there's a pink elephant in the room with me.

20210518_214621.jpg

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Dropping in from the thrift thread to ask for your wisdom with regard to one of these pairs. Clockwise from top left: Hanover PTBs, unknown LWBs, C&J (first time I've seen them with the spellout on the heel), and some minty Florrie 75675 Stratford LWBs, though I think more recent.
EF133D72-0130-40A8-81F8-36035C2A5270.jpeg

C&J. Anyone know the vintage of these?
B19EB5DC-87FD-423E-8BAD-A9C8EAE18B55.jpeg
55EFD9D7-A916-4BE8-B074-AFEBC6653119_1_201_a.jpeg

Hanover
4CAD078D-2DFA-49D0-B8AC-8AC951E08329.jpeg

Florrie
AE8E315E-D666-4D32-807E-FA3C572E4851_1_201_a.jpeg

And I wonder whether any of you recognize the branding that's almost gone on the insole of the "unknown" ones. There are some faint numbers inside, but I'll need to put some work into deciphering them. Meanwhile, anyone make out the brand?
03F854E9-9F31-481C-AB80-E534AEC0546A.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Well, if we're doing this I guess I can get onboard too, although I'm going to feel like a dinosaur or maybe an elder statesman!

I was born in the late 40's and graduated HS in 1965 in the industrial North of England. First year of primary school we started with chalk and slate, no kidding! Second year, pencils and third year an inkwell, pen and ink, ballpoint pens weren't generally available. I am one of the first wave of the Boomers, but I was in the summer of love as a teenager when sex was invented! I don't think shoes had been invented yet!

kilowatts

With such a new invention on the scene, how ever did you figure out how to use it? Must've been a very harrowing time.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I graduated high school in 2004. By that time, I had eschewed sneakers since the 8th grade; however, I had frequent difficulties finding shoes. I often wore boat shoes earlier, then I had a nice suede pair of chukkas that may have been Clark's. I also had various boots.

My shoe collection is far nicer now than ever before.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a used shine box that included some old tins of Kiwi paste polish. I'm not sure what they used as a solvent back then but it smells like straight-up gasoline or kerosene. Wow. I think there's a pink elephant in the room with me.

View attachment 1612094

Wasn’t turpentine the usual solvent in paste shoe wax?

Be careful of those pink hephalumps. They get voracious around vintage shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads