• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Well, if we're doing this I guess I can get onboard too, although I'm going to feel like a dinosaur or maybe an elder statesman!

I was born in the late 40's and graduated HS in 1965 in the industrial North of England. First year of primary school we started with chalk and slate, no kidding! Second year, pencils and third year an inkwell, pen and ink, ballpoint pens weren't generally available. I am one of the first wave of the Boomers, but I was in the summer of love as a teenager when sex was invented! I don't think shoes had been invented yet!

kilowatts

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi school grad 1985. Had some made in India J&M captoes that just got pulled out for special events. A couple years ago I made a conscious decision to improve my attitude and dress and found my way here.

here’s my recent pick up from a trip to Montana
85ED6B30-601A-4A5E-9B7C-857123F7B7B7.jpeg
EC673BB8-C86D-442D-8EE2-8348C95072FA.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here they are (and, IMHO, at 27 years and counting, now into vintage territory), 1994 Olympiads. Basically a Broadstreet, but using upgraded materials, most notably, white nubuck instead of white dyed calf. These were a limited edition run, designed for the 1992 US Olympic Team’s ceremonial uniforms. As a lover or all things spectator, this is a real unicorn find (especially in my size).

MCVHGrX.jpg

8eLTR5N.jpg

MDj0oIG.jpg

v31z7tn.jpg

YNESitT.jpg

PUDRpYH.jpg

I had to give the non-nubuck parts, and the interiors, a solid dose of AE Leather Lotion, given that these have spent their entire life in a box (essentially as packaged from the factory).

That said, these are the most NOS of NOS I’ve ever encountered. Never even tried on, they smelled exactly like a brand new pair, still wrapped in their factory plastic bags, fresh from Port Washington. Which is just plain neat, because these are from a different era. And they’re just so pretty to look at.

Will I ever wear them? I dunno, maybe for a very special occasion (I might request that I’m buried in them). Right now, they might be the only NOS pair of Olympiad’s in existence. And they’re all mine.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 1994, I was an 8yo kid in Vietnam. Back then, if someone came up to my sewing table and told me I’d one day collect old shoes passionately, I’d told them that’s crazy… I’m joking, of course. We didn’t have table. Just a sewing machine on the floor. The 10yo kid next to me moved on to open Alibaba. Joke on him too, his stock is dropping… (Only the first sentence is true).

Presenting 40s Nunn Bush brown on brown spec vent. For awhile I thought they are 50s. After some help from David’s catalog and Dr. Google, I’m confident they are 40s. Their successors are indeed presented in Nunn Bush summer 1954 catalog, available on David’s. I learned so much from that site.

View attachment 1611739 View attachment 1611740 View attachment 1611741
Dude, that is an absolutely amazing surviving example of those shoes. And what a pair of shoes those are. As a lover of spectators, those are spectacular.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seriously do not remember bidding or paying for this.

View attachment 1611933
Hmmm... for $20.50, not bad. As a hobbyist watchmaker (meaning I restore and repair vintage and antique mechanical watches), make sure you service it, if you intend to wear it, as it almost certainly needs cleaning and lubrication (and likely timing/adjustment also).

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... for $20.50, not bad. As a hobbyist watchmaker (meaning I restore and repair vintage and antique mechanical watches), make sure you service it, if you intend to wear it, as it almost certainly needs cleaning and lubrication (and likely timing/adjustment also).
Yeah. I'm way ahead of you there.

20210415_182636.jpg

I even find myself talking to my watches. "Everything clean. Beautiful."

FB_IMG_1621376804854.jpg

Maybe I'm Section 8.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm way ahead of you there.

View attachment 1611940

I even find myself talking to my watches. "Everything clean. Beautiful."

View attachment 1611941

Maybe I'm Section 8.

My man!

I finally finished working on this Hampden Model 2 108 D in flag, got the positional adjustment mostly sorted for 4 positions:
OpXGbqc.jpg

Was a real pain because the center wheel (of all things) pivot was broken (yet somehow the hole jewel wasn’t!?!). So I had salvage a center wheel out of a similar Model 2 parts movement, but then do a lot of manual (very careful) re-machining of the pivot due to tolerance differences.

Now I’m trying to salvage this Elgin which someone pumped motor oil into:

GTPAZlu.jpg

The balance hairspring might as well have been dipped in crazy glue. All that stuff that looks like rust is globs of congealed, dried oil. Naphtha didn’t do crap (nor did the cleaner), so I’m probably going to look into my chest of “de-correcting the grain” solvents. Hopefully I don’t have to re-shellac the pallet and impulse jewels.

</watch nerdery>

happypebble

Reaction score
Gentlemen: I must announce I've moved into a new shoe neighborhood. Effective immediately my new shoe ZIP code is 93631. I'm having intense cravings for mustard.
20210518_163956_HDR.jpg
20210518_164016_HDR.jpg

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My man!

I finally finished working on this Hampden Model 2 108 D in flag, got the positional adjustment mostly sorted for 4 positions:
OpXGbqc.jpg

Was a real pain because the center wheel (of all things) pivot was broken (yet somehow the hole jewel wasn’t!?!). So I had salvage a center wheel out of a similar Model 2 parts movement, but then do a lot of manual (very careful) re-machining of the pivot due to tolerance differences.

Now I’m trying to salvage this Elgin which someone pumped motor oil into:

GTPAZlu.jpg

The balance hairspring might as well have been dipped in crazy glue. All that stuff that looks like rust is globs of congealed, dried oil. Naphtha didn’t do crap (nor did the cleaner), so I’m probably going to look into my chest of “de-correcting the grain” solvents. Hopefully I don’t have to re-shellac the pallet and impulse jewels.

</watch nerdery>
You're at a whole new level compared to me. I'm just a budding watch nerd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads