• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quantum17

Reaction score
For something that carries such lofty naming, and claims of hand lasting (which can mean different things to different shoe makers) the upper workmanship is not stellar. I’d also expect, for a top-of-the-line shoe from the late 70’s, full leather linings (something you got with Florsheim Imperials and LB Sheppard’s).

The other thing that concerns me is I can’t see the outline of a welt channel for the outsole top-stitch (though it might just be carefully channeled) and that sole doesn’t really look like it’s closed channel stitched to me.

Usually, even if it’s very faint, you can see the outline of where the feather was cut and the channel underneath:

jstJfOq.jpg

27VCmBC.jpg

The soles on those Cole Haan’s are just too smooth, especially given the rest of the shoe doesn’t scream George Cleverley or John Lobb from an execution standpoint.
You might be right about the close channel. It’s hard to tell from the post. However, seller has a similar pair in black size 13B with better sole pics, and they look too smooth. I wonder why trouble through “hand lasted” only to get glued on soles. Maybe I’m taking their advertising gimmick too literally. And full leather lining should be expected at that level (even though there are some great 50s 60s pairs that used cloth lining too).

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the second pair of new arrivals that was recently caught by spousal customs. They are worth the probation period. I'll do my time -- hopefully finishing before the next scheduled pair arrives from Canada in a few weeks :hide:

The new arrivals on the left -- camel skin LWBs made in England by Stuart McGuire. These are probably vintage, again just a hunch judging by their construction and details rather than any date code. Full leather lining and quite nicely executed broguing and stitching... although, disappointingly, the welt and sole are vinyl. Style-wise I prefer an almond-shaped toe (like the miCanada Hartt camel skin PTDs on the right that I've had for a few months) but I can live with the occasional squared off toe box. Interestingly, both pairs have 4 eyelets.

20210515-01.jpg

20210515-03.jpg

20210515-04.jpg

The footbed is heavily indented, but pretty much conforms to my own feet. I gave them a thorough wiping inside and out with Lysol wipes, a good scrubbing with saddle soap and an electric toothbrush, followed by several rounds of Bick 4, and finally a coat of neutral Saphir cream polish. I think they are ready for their debut.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Florsheim by John McHale. @CWOyaji gave the heads up on this pair. And @Jiqea advised these are one of the premier lines.

The gunboat welts are awesome.

20210515_103734.jpg
20210515_103723.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I’ll have to hunt those posts down, as that’s really neat!!
For your convenience

happypebble

Reaction score
New acquisition: "Roblee" brown single monk straps in 12D, original heels and soles. Any guesses as to age? Fit not bad. Will go well with my black City Club single monks.
20210515_083918_HDR.jpg
20210515_083859.jpg
20210515_083827.jpg
20210515_083812.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the second pair of new arrivals that was recently caught by spousal customs. They are worth the probation period. I'll do my time -- hopefully finishing before the next scheduled pair arrives from Canada in a few weeks :hide:

The new arrivals on the left -- camel skin LWBs made in England by Stuart McGuire. These are probably vintage, again just a hunch judging by their construction and details rather than any date code. Full leather lining and quite nicely executed broguing and stitching... although, disappointingly, the welt and sole are vinyl. Style-wise I prefer an almond-shaped toe (like the miCanada Hartt camel skin PTDs on the right that I've had for a few months) but I can live with the occasional squared off toe box. Interestingly, both pairs have 4 eyelets.

View attachment 1610091

View attachment 1610092

View attachment 1610093

The footbed is heavily indented, but pretty much conforms to my own feet. I gave them a thorough wiping inside and out with Lysol wipes, a good scrubbing with saddle soap and an electric toothbrush, followed by several rounds of Bick 4, and finally a coat of neutral Saphir cream polish. I think they are ready for their debut.
It’s interesting, when done with a wedge toe, a squared-off toe-box doesn’t look bad at all. I think those LWB’s are quite handsome. The AE 4 last (seen here on a funky color Polo) had a similar profile:
82Nu06R.jpg

2UrEjS7.jpg

happypebble

Reaction score

happypebble

Reaction score
Ummm... errrr... sooooo... uhhhhh... I gotta ask, why U like square toe monk straps?
Oh, I just haven't seen any other style around. I figured since I already had the black pair, a similar brown pair would complement them. They were both available and not excessively pricey, so why not.

right_hook

Reaction score
I already have a pretty nice pair of 93605s, but this seller has made a very fair offer on these. Not sure I need another pair of shell LWBs. Does anyone see anything particularly troubling on these?

Current inventory:
  • Cordwainer Wright shell LWB - #8
  • Keith Highlander shell LWB - #8
  • Florsheim 93605 shell LWB - #8
  • AE MacNeil shell LWB - #8
  • AE MacNeil shell LWB - black
Also shortwings:
  • E.T. Wright shell SWO - #8
  • Alden shell SWO - #8
  • AE Cambridge shell SWO - #8
I imagine I've missed an additional pair or two of wingtips. My memory isn't what it used to be, and I'm too lazy to walk to the other side of the house to confirm.

You should expect such answers asking us about buying another shoes:
- "of course you need one more pair of shoes";
- "always buy lwb's if you see them";
- "it doesn't matter that you already have a pretty nice pair of 93605";
- "you'd better to be always sure that you need another pair of shell lwb";
- "you have only 10 pairs of shell shoes and this should be fixed immediately";
- "if it fits - it ships!" finally!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads