• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was very inconsistent in the 70’s. Some examples were absolutely amazing, some were really mediocre (my two favorite pair of AE’s are both produced in the 70’s). They had a real problem with uneven stitching on the uppers (where the pattern would just be inconsistently executed) and incomplete brogue punches (nearly every hanging chad brogue punch I’ve seen has been on a 70’s pair), requiring me to use a pin to try and pick out the incomplete punch-out. The leather was also inconstant during the late 60’s and 70’s - some were brilliant, others were meh.

In contrast, the 80’s through early 90’s stuff is consistently amazing. Even the CG stuff is incredibly good (meaning it’s “corrected” for effect, not because it’s scarred, low-quality leather). Once the PU finish starts looking like crap, you can literally strip them, refinish them and you get a whole second life out of them.

As for the conditioning PSA, that doesn’t just apply to AE’s. A lot of brands have that problem (because they all source from the same small group of tanneries).

I may have gotten my dates wrong. These are the MacGregor with 7 eyelets.
If recollection serves, I think these are whiskey (or ravello?) although as @wasmisterfu accurately noted @smfdoc has an extraordinary collection so it's entirely possible he has these in multiple colors.

Pretty dark if they are whiskey. But, whatever they are called, they are drool worthy!

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Pretty dark if they are whiskey. But, whatever they are called, they are drool worthy!

Actually you are right and they also look to be new. I am going with Ravello. :) Hopefully @smfdoc will tell us the details. There have been some Ravello shoes delivered lately so....

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And now for something completely different. Depending on your definition of vintage these may fit or be slightly out of the range.

Alden 73393. Suede Ranger Moc in snuff suede. I am slowly becoming a real fan of Alden suede. These look a little like something my Dad would wear when he was a college professor, but I like the fact that they are a little more casual.

46204756-2E3D-4F92-9E79-CD1C9CFA1B63.jpeg
7616B28C-8C34-4315-8856-D1988DB4CC23.jpeg
11275D91-1EE2-444F-ADE1-362A37EA6E86.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both my MacGregor’s are from the 70’s and are examples of the “amazing” category of 70’s output. The MacGregor is my favorite oxford wingtip of all time. It’s just an amazing looking shoe.

So let’s look at Appreciation of them:

I think these are yours:
pf2XF6k.jpg

My nice pair:
yadGn03.jpg

Some righteous Japanese dude’s pair:
FCR14vS.jpg

A NOS pair on eBay that wasn’t my size:
t6z8wUB.jpg

My beater pair with bazillions of miles and many resoles on them (while risking my life eating airport sushi):
TJ1W5n3.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both my MacGregor’s are from the 70’s and are examples of the “amazing” category of 70’s output. The MacGregor is my favorite oxford wingtip of all time. It’s just an amazing looking shoe.

So let’s look at Appreciation of them:

I think these are yours:
pf2XF6k.jpg

My nice pair:
yadGn03.jpg

Some righteous Japanese dude’s pair:
FCR14vS.jpg

A NOS pair on eBay that wasn’t my size:
t6z8wUB.jpg

My beater pair with bazillions of miles and many resoles on them (while risking my life eating airport sushi):
TJ1W5n3.jpg

those aren’t mine. Here they are:

3D4ED090-74F6-4472-880A-24865919B2BE.jpeg
7226BFC7-58FC-4CBD-A15E-7A727C2996E4.jpeg

also Alden sale alert!

Sky Valet is having 40% sale on Alden! INCLUDING Shell.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
holy smokes! Is it the lighting? Or are those really fantastic looking cigar Shell?
I’m pretty sure it ain’t the lighting. Contemporary or vintage, some of the best shoes you’ll see anywhere on SF belong to @smfdoc .
If recollection serves, I think these are whiskey (or ravello?) although as @wasmisterfu accurately noted @smfdoc has an extraordinary collection so it's entirely possible he has these in multiple colors.
Actually you are right and they also look to be new. I am going with Ravello. :) Hopefully @smfdoc will tell us the details. There have been some Ravello shoes delivered lately so....

Thanks. Yes, they are newish as I have only worn them a few times. They are Ravello. Normally, I expect ravello to have more red tones, but this newer batch is the same color as my bourbon colored shoes from AE. Side by side they are identical. But shell is variable and can change from batch to batch. The side by side image on the floor is the Ravello on foot, and the bourbon AE to the right. The second picture is the Ravello on the right of the image and whiskey on the left side of the screen.

34A85C99-081F-4D85-AA9E-11ADD7233E1D.jpeg

8FC13994-9598-4EEA-8A37-D82D11863B3C.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, they are newish as I have only worn them a few times. They are Ravello. Normally, I expect ravello to have more red tones, but this newer batch is the same color as my bourbon colored shoes from AE. Side by side they are identical. But shell is variable and can change from batch to batch. The side by side image on the floor is the Ravello on foot, and the bourbon AE to the right. The second picture is the Ravello on the right of the image and whiskey on the left side of the screen.

View attachment 1609946
View attachment 1609947
So, you have at least four pair of rare Shell that ranges from whiskey to bourbon to ravello. Damn! That is a great collection! (And I know it just a sample!)

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming back here is like a gambling addict going to Vegas. I blame you guys for enabling me to do this:

TBk4nA0.jpg

27 years they’ve sat in a box, unworn. AE Olympiad’s 8853 (basically a special edition Broadstreet designed for the US Team’s ceremonial uniforms for 1992 Summer Olympic Games) Oak Aniline Calf / White Nubuck.

I’m not even attempting to smuggle these past Spousel Customs, I’m simply declaring these outright.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming back here is like a gambling addict going to Vegas. I blame you guys for enabling me to do this:

TBk4nA0.jpg

27 years they’ve sat in a box, unworn. AE Olympiad’s 8853 (basically a special edition Broadstreet designed for the US Team’s ceremonial uniforms for 1992 Summer Olympic Games) Oak Aniline Calf / White Nubuck.

I’m not even attempting to smuggle these past Spousel Customs, I’m simply declaring these outright.

Those are spectacular! It would UnAmerican for Spousal Customs to be upset with those!
Amazing!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hanover LB Sheppards. I find the toe box to be tighter than Florsheim.

Happy Friday, shoe pals.

20210514_170107.jpg
20210514_170110.jpg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno what was up with the Warwick, but that model had a history of problems. Most examples you see today look like absolute hell. I actually think the pattern had issues with stress-points and pulling, due to the last not being optimized for a monk-strap design.

It’s too bad, as it’s a nice looking shoe when new.
Amen. I love the look and the fit, but the leather is dookie.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amen. I love the look and the fit, but the leather is dookie.
Yeah, I don’t get it, because they do all look like crap. Yet, the same year they made your cracking Warwick’s, they managed to slap this webgem together from some of the most supple leather they’ve used since the early 90’s:
NsHyY93.jpg
Zoom in; look at the creasing (bend), even the outsole stitching and edge finishing are top notch. That was the problem with the Paul Grangaard era, massively, hugely inconsistent quality (he was simply pushing to much product through that factory as part of the growth strategy to unload that company).

I hate to say it, because they killed off a ton of models and programs and I don’t like almost all of the new stuff, but the post Caleres AE’s I’ve bought (from the traditional lineup, e.g. not freakin sneakers and crap) have been far more consistently executed. The most recent pair being downright excellent - I might photograph them next week for the AE thread, as I’m so impressed with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads